• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I wouldn't be amazed if Colosseum didn't ship the CD earlier. The CD will appear in the STATES (at least) when the film is released, but because the film is earlier in Europe, then maybe they will release a CD earlier in Europe too. Who knows.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008 edited
    Colosseum.de is a very good company, from my own experience that is. Don't know about shipping dates and all as i don't particularly rush to gets CD's and count the days 'till they arrive, but service-wise i am very pleased.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Curious Case of Benjamin Button soundtrack

You can hear the whole CD (as it seem to be the case, I'm still listening to it) at the Warner Bros. website below.

http://warnerbros2008.warnerbros.com/bafta/
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    lp wrote
    Curious Case of Benjamin Button soundtrack

You can hear the whole CD (as it seem to be the case, I'm still listening to it) at the Warner Bros. website below.

http://warnerbros2008.warnerbros.com/bafta/

...and I very much like what I hear!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    thanks for the link!
  2. The chance to hear music from LARGO WINCH and CURIOUS CASE in the same day. Nature doesn't know how to pace its pleasures.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But why do you like it? Jordi says it's "zzzzzzzz"
  3. I'm only just listening to it now. It seems very solid to me. Jordi can go to Spain for all I care. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin I know; i loved the clips too, i am eagerly awaiting for those 2 scores.
  4. Golly... I'm listening to CCBB on the Warner Brothers site, and at six tracks in, I think this is the Desplat score I've been wanting to hear since BIRTH. Those of you who know my tastes know that that is no small recommendation. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    The chance to hear music from LARGO WINCH and CURIOUS CASE in the same day. Nature doesn't know how to pace its pleasures.

biggrin

I'm so looking forward to them this evening!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Jordi also says Zimmer is a genius rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well but he is a genius (Zimmer, not Jordi); if not, we wouldn´t be talking about him (Zimmer, not Jordi) in EVERY SINGLE thread of EVERY SINGLE message board.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Genius? Nah; but he's apparently doing something VERY right.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Now THIS I do agree with.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well but he is a genius (Zimmer, not Jordi); if not, we wouldn´t be talking about him (Zimmer, not Jordi) in EVERY SINGLE thread of EVERY SINGLE message board.

Not really true Marcel, over at the busiest film music forum ( FSM ) Zimmer threads get nowhere near the hits that the likes of Goldsmith, Williams, Barry etc do, I think over a large quantity of film score fans there seems to be more perspective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Hmm, flawed logic methinks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Extending the logic then there are several geniuses around at the moment, people such as:

George W Bush
    Alistair Darling
    Burt Kwouk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Is he finally taking that oft-promised year off then? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Is he finally taking that oft-promised year off then? wink

biggrin I think it was apparent that that was a commercial trick wink no such thing as a year-off. When you DO take a year off, you don't normally go around the media telling everybody methinks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HERE'S THE VISTA SOUND RECORDING METHOD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfd_BNyX6Bg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5qa-HODWbc
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Extending the logic then there are several geniuses around at the moment, people such as:

George W Bush
    Alistair Darling
    Burt Kwouk

LOL biggrin beer
  5. BobdH wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Better news is that you can hear some of it here, and it sounds fantastic!

Some of it? I'm hearing quite a lot full tracks, if I'm not mistaken, and you can go forward and backward in the tracks.

It's not really keeping my interest, though. It sounds like a rather standard work with little imagination.

Sounds fine by what I'm hearing. There's less two-voice writing than is typical in most Desplat drama scores, but there's still a heck of a lot more than I hear in other impressive modern action scores by Powell and Arnold. It doesn't sound like it will be one of his best, but by virtue of the flatness of the surrounding terrain, it could still seem like a mountain.

LARGO WINCH, if those 17 minutes are anything to go by - has a lot of melody - and plays like a leitmotif score. The melodic heart of it seems comparable to HOSTAGE (though here it's meant to be a lot more brash, less tragic/dire in feel), but it has a lot of the electronics of FIREWALL too.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    Well, I just contacted Colosseum who have said the CD version of Winch will be available from December 9th, so if you plan to buy it get it from them! wink
  6. Hi folks

Here's my review of THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON for anyone who's interested:

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/benjaminbuttoncd.htm
  7. Good review Jon.

But one quibble... do you really think he's acknowledging John Barry with those touches you mention? (E.g. putting in a cymbalom, an instrument he's used before.) Sure, the whole thing has the feel of a John Barry score, but only in the way that the warmth of this score's texture, and the melodic emphasis from previous scores could be described as John Barry-like.

I also think there's a danger in oversimplifying his work to link him too clearly to Barry, or even Delerue. The amount of two-voice writing in his scores, BUTTON being no exception, appears with a casual frequency that I don't associate with either of those composers. The transparent multi-layered texture of his sound - everything distinct - is more like Bernard Herrmann's softer scores (Fahrenheit 451, Ghost and Mrs Muir) than Delerue or Barry.

I think I will consider buying it through the MMUK store however. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008 edited
    No, I'm not saying it was an intentional homage - it was more my way of trying to provide comparisons as to what the score sounds like for people who might be unfamiliar with Desplat's work.

And, yes, on a technical level (which you clearly have a better understanding of than I), Desplat's work does probably resemble "light Herrmann" more than anything else. My allusions to Barry and Delerue are more to dowith texture and pacing, and emotion. I experience music from an emotional standpoint first and foremost, and that's where my feelings went when I was listening to BUTTON. Over-simplification is my middle name! tongue
  8. You shall hereafter be known as Jon Oversimplification Broxton.

Initials: JOB wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008
    Desplat is pure Desplat. As simple as that, imo.
  9. I'm guessing from the Varese track times that the 9 tracks available for streaming are the following... This assumes that any of the pieces are whole tracks, which could be a mistake.

1. Largo Winch (3:07)
    2. (0:29) (too short to be any of the tracks)
    3. On the Run (3:26)
    4. (0:43) (also too short to be any of the tracks)
    5. Vision in the Waves? (1:05)
    6. W Building (2:48)
    7. Hidden Souvenirs (2:51)
    8. (1:39) (unclear - the Betrayal track probably)
    9. Anna's Death (3:43)