• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Just won the Oscar!! F**k yes!! punk punk
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015
    Congrats, Alexandre Desplat!
  2. I didn't listen to The Grand Budapest Hotel but surely the man deserves it.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Great film and an equally great score. Very well deserved win.

Has earned his reward - and now some rest, maybe? Have a break and scale back to just 10 or 12 scores next year! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    My tastes seem to be quite drastically off the mark. I found that score to be one of the least interesting and least emotionally engaging of Desplat's entire career, and I have probably 30 of his scores in my collection. Oh well, at least a very deserving artist won despite my feelings on that particular work.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Scribe wrote
    My tastes seem to be quite drastically off the mark. I found that score to be one of the least interesting and least emotionally engaging of Desplat's entire career, and I have probably 30 of his scores in my collection. Oh well, at least a very deserving artist won despite my feelings on that particular work.

I'm right with you, Scribe. I never liked the score much. I liked every other score he wrote in 2014 better than that one. It was just goofy, which I'm sure is perfect for the film, but not the sort of thing I want to listen to on its own. Still, I don't mind him winning an Oscar. Even if it's for the wrong film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Let me third that.

Disappointed to hear this, as GBH was the one item on that list that I hoped wouldn't win (I don't like the film, the score, the director OR the composer!). While I had a feeling my favourite INTERSTELLAR wouldn't be able to pull if off, I had at the very least hoped for the wonderful THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING (which is more in "Oscar category").

So while many of you cheer for this moment, I think it's the most disappointing since Dudley's THE FULL MONTY won in the 90s.

I also think the "winner" of the awards, BIRDMAN, is hugely overrated.

This really wasn't the year for me. I feel like I was at odds with most everyone else.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I am pleased that Desplat has won a little Oscar statue.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. I'm glad Desplat won. Score's nowhere near his best, but the composer at least is deserving.
  6. I haven't seen TURNER, but... have to say it: the best won, for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. I'm very fine with Desplat winning the Oscar. He is an deserved winner in an "additive" way. I am not surprised that the score took the Academy Award. It is a film award and the score works great in context. I was more surprised that the score also would take the Grammy, which - I believe - is an album award. I am not that fond of the score as a pure listening experiance.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Well I'm glad I'm not alone in my sentiments.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You can also add me to the list of disappointed people. I'm happy he won (he's becoming a modern day Steiner). I rather liked the Interstellar score and as you know I'm not a huge fan of Zimmer so for me to make that statement I'm saying something.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I think it's about time I start listening to some Desplat... I only know Godzilla and today I listened to The Imitation Game on Spotify and I love that one! Is Grand Budapest Hotel better than The Imitation Game?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    I think it's about time I start listening to some Desplat... I only know Godzilla and today I listened to The Imitation Game on Spotify and I love that one! Is Grand Budapest Hotel better than The Imitation Game?

That's like asking if pulling out your toenails is better than burning off your eyebrows.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think Grand Budapest Hotel is brilliant and even better in the film than on the album.

I've seen all the nominated films except for Imitation Game, Theory of Everything, Interstellar and Mr Turner. It's definitely the pick of the scores for the nominated films I have seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Congrats to Alexandre Desplat. I haven't heard the whole score yet, but I am listening to it on Spotify now. It sounds interesting, actually, and I can see it fitting perfectly into this weird Wes Anderson comedy (which I haven't seen). Would have loved Zimmer to win, but I can see why Desplat won.

I'm normally not a fan of Desplat, though, but I thought his Godzilla score was BRILLIANT, so maybe I'm softening up? smile
  8. Thor wrote
    Bregje wrote

That's like asking if pulling out your toenails is better than burning off your eyebrows.

Not liking the style of an composer subjectively and rooting for another and saying he did not deserve the award are two pair of shoes imho.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. Thor wrote
    Bregje wrote

At least you're getting a sense of humour. :/
    Looking forward to decades of refining that art.
  10. Bregje wrote

Not in my books. Although it's arguably more creative, I think it's pretty overrated and that particular Wes Anderson brand of quirk just leaves me vaguely annoyed. I guess that's a testament to how well Desplat channels the director's persona, but in this case that isn't necessarily a good thing IMO.

In other words, it's the ol' Desplat standby for me - good score, well-composed, doesn't do much for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Bregje wrote

Not in my books. Although it's arguably more creative, I think it's pretty overrated and that particular Wes Anderson brand of quirk just leaves me vaguely annoyed.

VAGUELY annoyed? It leaves me swearing at the bloody screen.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Thor wrote
    Bregje wrote

Ha! biggrin

I actually like THE IMITATION GAME. It's my favorite of Desplat's scores from last year.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote

One of my favourites is l'Ennemi Intime which can also be found on Spotify.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Bregje wrote

Not in my books. Although it's arguably more creative, I think it's pretty overrated and that particular Wes Anderson brand of quirk just leaves me vaguely annoyed.

VAGUELY annoyed? It leaves me swearing at the bloody screen.

Yeah, vaguely. I don't find Anderson's films (or their music) actively unwatchable or unlistenable or anything, and occasionally they'll get a chuckle out of me, but in general I don't seem to "get" him. Oh well. *shrug*
  13. I think the collaboration between Desplat and Wes Anderson is perfect, the music of Desplat enhances the delightful quirkyness of the Anderson films so much. Although centering the frame is a nono, Anderson makes it his niche (here is a compilation of his use of centering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN8dpLSpP84 ). And with a different main color palette every film, they are instantly recognizable. And Desplat employs minimalism to great effect, listen to Escape Concerto from The Grand Budapest Hotel, he rarely goes longer than 10 sec without a subtle change in rhythm or instrumentation. This is how you can repeat something without it getting boring, you do small changes. And the instruments he writes for aren't your standard Hollywood orchestra, or electronic pulses. It is original and cleverly made, and deserved its Academy Award
  14. It's pretty much a Stanley Kubrick homage, the frame centering, isn't it?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  15. Bregje wrote

Start with The Painted Veil. Then Lust Caution , Zero Dark Thirty , and The Deathly Hallows.
  16. PawelStroinski wrote
    It's pretty much a Stanley Kubrick homage, the frame centering, isn't it?

I doubt he's a Kubrick discipline, on account of the flatness of his frames. (Kubrick usually has strong point perspective.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015 edited
    Oh, there's a definite Kubrick influence in the balancing of elements, in particular (no to mention the whole hotel/colour pallette). I can enjoy the style of a Wes Anderson film while at the same time being extremely annoyed by his particular sense of quirkiness -- pushing reality just SLIGHTLY off the side, just enough to be irritating, bur not enough to be its selfcontained world (like Burton, who I love).
    I am extremely serious.
  17. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Bregje wrote

Start with The Painted Veil. Then Lust Caution , Zero Dark Thirty , and The Deathly Hallows.

I wouldn't recommend Zero Dark Thirty to an initiate (or anyone, really...) - it's very subtle. which in film music lingo is a codeword for "dull"