• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015
    Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm enjoying Grand Budapest Hotel a lot! So much fun.
    And I think The Imitation Game is really good. I also want to see the movie soon.
  1. Thor wrote
    Oh, there's a definite Kubrick influence in the balancing of elements, in particular (no to mention the whole hotel/colour pallette).

I like to think the history of symmetric framed art runs a bit deeper than Stanley Kubrick. And Anderson has none of the plunging perspective in Kubrick's frames.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote

It's very subtle. which in film music lingo is a codeword for "dull"

Really? Thats news to me. I'm aware of countless "subtle" scores that work great, especially in non-action films. But even in thrillers it can be a fine stylistic device. I don't like to see film music limited to smashing brass and drums on the level of Prussian military march music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. I was being facetious. It's often a codeword for dull. At least in my opinion. Then again, I'm something of an anti-Thor when it comes to bombast. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm with Edmund.
    The only thing better than ten pieces of brass, is twenty pieces of brass.
    I require a wall of sound to dwarf the Great Wall of China.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. I then appear to represent the Aristotelian balanced middle here. wink
  5. 6 French horns as an Aristotelian virtue? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. cheesy

Possibly. But rather I ment a healthy mixture of "subtle" and bombast scores. "Subdued" might be the better word anyway. The middle between Thor and Edmund. Wait, that sounds odd. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    Oh, there's a definite Kubrick influence in the balancing of elements, in particular (no to mention the whole hotel/colour pallette).

I like to think the history of symmetric framed art runs a bit deeper than Stanley Kubrick. And Anderson has none of the plunging perspective in Kubrick's frames.

Agreed, but given the scenario and look of the film here, I don't think the comparison is that farfetched. In fact, Anderson has frequently gone on record to state his admiration for -- and influence by -- the great director.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I didn't realise that. And truly it does surprise me. (Their intentions being so different in their work.)

I guess one thing they have in common is that a lot of people don't get their sense of humour. (Perhaps even less in Kubrick's case.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2015
    Enjoying both scores for a couple of says now. Grand Budapest Hotel and The Imitation Game.

I think The Imitation Game is brilliant. This morning I listened with my headphones for the first time and it was even better than it already was. I wanted to cry out how good it is, then I felt very lonely and then I remembered I do have you all here.
    kiss
  8. It is a wonderful score, one of Desplat's finest. Your taste is lovely, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2015
    When can I be a girl so people will say my tastes are lovely too sad
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    When can I be a girl so people will say my tastes are lovely too sad

biggrin

To be fair there is so few females around on film music forums that it's fair to give the ladies a bit more attention.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2015 edited
    Oh I know, it's just interesting to see the difference. I jelly shame
  9. You blushing looks lovely, too, Scribe. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Hah. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2015
    Haha! biggrin
    And thanks Ralph.

I remember we had a discussion long ago about why there are so few women on the board. Do they not listen to filmmusic or do they not spend time on internet communities...? Recently on the radio I heard too that women buy much less music than men in general (the item was about vinyl records). I really don't know why that is, but it's interesting anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2015 edited
    Well, in general the internet can be a pretty toxic place for women...which is sad and makes me hate my gender. At least in the film music community we are generally above such things...I've never heard anyone talk about fake soundtrack girls / women rolleyes But of course there is no reason why anyone would be only pretending to be a soundtrack fan at all. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2015
    There are a number of women that post at FSM but they are a tiny minority compared to the male traffic passing at that board.

As far as I know I only have one female friend who has anything film music related and even that wasn't a soundtrack, John Barry's The Beyondness of Things.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015
    According to an FSM post, Desplat confirmed on French radio today that he will be scoring Star Wars: Rogue One (released next year, in between episodes 7 and 8).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    According to an FSM post, Desplat confirmed on French radio today that he will be scoring Star Wars: Rogue One (released next year, in between episodes 7 and 8).

No, God. Please, no.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fuck yeah!

Shut up, Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No way. I'm going to complain about this untill the film comes out -- and then for another year, at least.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I believe you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Can you create a separate thread for that?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    as much as we'd all love Williams to score them all he's going to be busy and he's not getting younger. Desplat is a GREAT choice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015 edited
    To be fair, I'm going to keep the door just a TINY little bit open -- just in the extremely unlikely event it will surprise in a positive way. I just find that I'm disliking Desplat more and more as the years go by; and my dislike is fuelled even more by people getting upset that I dislike him so.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You can't imagine how upset I am by your dislike of Desplat. I am finding it increasingly hard to console myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    You can't imagine how upset I am by your dislike of Desplat. I am finding it increasingly hard to console myself.

He, he...I was referring more to FSM and one particular member. I'm sure you read the thread in question.
    I am extremely serious.