• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015
    This really is fantastic news. If he stays on the project and really does end up scoring it, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't become my favourite Desplat score. Not even the might of Godzilla can compete with Star Wars + Desplat (well, I hope).
  1. My choice would have been Giacchino but I am just as fine with Desplat. Hopefully Giacchino will score the third Star Trek film and complete a space trilogy of his own.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    According to an FSM post, Desplat confirmed on French radio today that he will be scoring Star Wars: Rogue One (released next year, in between episodes 7 and 8).

Existence of God confirmed. Go cry, atheists.

wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Absolutely. Great news! punk

Amen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    My choice would have been Giacchino but I am just as fine with Desplat. Hopefully Giacchino will score the third Star Trek film and complete a space trilogy of his own.

Volker

As I just said over at FSM, there were only two A list composers I hoped would NOT score this -- Giacchino and Desplat. Most anyone else I could have tolerated. But at the same time, I knew the risk was high for either one of those getting the gig. So I shouldn't be surprised, really.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    This really is fantastic news. If he stays on the project and really does end up scoring it, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't become my favourite Desplat score. Not even the might of Godzilla can compete with Star Wars + Desplat (well, I hope).

Imagine the action cues! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't. After only half an hour upon hearing the news, the wait is already unbearable enough as it is. (Almost as unbearable as Thor's whining.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    According to an FSM post, Desplat confirmed on French radio today that he will be scoring Star Wars: Rogue One (released next year, in between episodes 7 and 8).

I've been wondering this ever since Gareth Edwards was announced as director. This is great news!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015 edited
    I am starting to appreciate Desplat more, in general. But I have a hard time hearing any melodic space opera in his voice. That, and the fact that I am failing miserably to muster much enthusiasm for the Star Wars "three films a year with six separate spin-offs per film" juggernaut rumbling inexorably towards and over us for over a span of twenty years or so, makes me rather indifferent to this news.

I would never have believed it, but I may simply be SW'ed out.
    Or, in other words, I can't be Star Warsed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015
    I thought it was only one film per year? Or are you just exaggerating? Personally I don't think I could ever be Star Warsed out. I mean I slogged through nearly the entire post-RotJ expanded universe and somehow still care about what happens next despite all of those stories being reduced to apocrypha, so surely Disney's new and simplified version of the fates of the Skywalkers and Solos et al will be captivating enough for a dozen movies unless they completely, horribly "kark" it up... smile

I think "Sky Battle" and "Dragon Flight" are all one needs to be able to anticipate a thematic, Williams-y adventure score from Desplat. (Not sure I would go so far as "space opera" because I don't expect that from these spinoff films). So, if you don't enjoy those two tracks, well then, your lack of enthusiasm is understandable. But I do, and I believe Desplat could produce a whole score at or above that level if the director asked. I'm expecting a work with the intensity and propulsion of Godzilla combined with an at least slightly more upbeat and melodic coloring.
  2. Martijn is exaggerating of course. There is a a new trilogy under way. The first of that films will be out this December and is titled THE FORCE AWAKENS (Episode VII). There is also one spin-off film under way, ROGUE ONE. The possibility of further such standalone films is being discussed.

EPISODE VII-IX will be scored by John Williams health permitting. I believe that that Giacchino will come in should Williams not be able to see the trilogy through. He has worked with musical material by Williams on several occasions. He would be able to do so again.

In contrast to the trilogy in the spin-off film the mythological aspect of the SW universe will retreat to the background. Also there will be no appearance of classic characters. (Or so I understand.) Therefore Desplat will have little need to fall back on material by John Williams. The general musical idiom will be preserved, opulent late romantic stylings that is structured by leitmotifs. Other than that Desplat has a free field ahead of him. He can develop his own thing. Personally I would go as far as to think about a new title theme for this and possible further spin-offs. You could handle the classic theme like they do in the James Bond films.

Volker
  3. I have no doubt Desplat will write a score that's technically flawless. The doubts I do have are entirely to do with whether he can capture the heart and thematic grandeur that a Star Wars score demands. Of course, Desplat is still a much better choice than many, but he wouldn't have been my first pick, or my tenth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund, what is it about "Dragon Flight" and "Sky Battle" that is insufficient to you in capturing "heart and thematic grandeur"? The former is possibly my favorite quote of Hedwig's Theme in the entire series and the latter is as riveting an action cue as anything Williams wrote for the series (which, admittedly, was not his best output compared to Star Wars, since Williams was bored). Considering that that was several years ago and Desplat has only grown as an action writer (i.e. Godzilla), I don't see why he shouldn't be able to produce a stunning Star Wars score if that's what he's asked to do. I feel like Yates restrained him for Harry Potter and he still managed to produce gems like the above.

(please note, i do not mean any of this is an inflammatory way, I am genuinely curious)
  4. "Dragon Flight" is my single favorite Desplat cue and if he can tap into that level of soaring melodicness (is that a word?) for an entire score (or at least in more substantially lengthy highlights), then I'll be fine.

"Sky Battle" is a good action cue that certainly has enough Williams to it for me to imagine it working in a Star Wars context, but there's not much in it that speaks to "thematic grandeur" IMO. To put it in Star Wars terms, it's comparable to "Jango's Escape" but not to the battles of Hoth or Endor or Yavin or Naboo. I wouldn't even put it on the same level as the Quidditch cue from Sorcerer's Stone, and as you say, that's good Williams rather than great.
  5. I certainly don't expect Desplat to do a Williams pastiche. The cinematic SW universe is expanding. Let the musical world of SW expand also.

(And Edmund, I'd say that Powell, who clearly lingers between your lines, hasn't necessarily reached SW level with that flying lizards films of his. wink )

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hey guys. Its 1977. John Williams is going to score George Lucas' troubled sci-Fi adventure film, Star Wars. He's never done a space opera before unless you count Lost In Space. Man, I hope it doesn't sound like Lost In Space. I'm sure this is going to suck!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah

His Godzilla score would appear to have come out of nowhere if you look at his previous scores, but arrived it did. He's a professional and will respond in kind to the images and story presented to him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Hey guys. Its 1977. John Williams is going to score George Lucas' troubled sci-Fi adventure film, Star Wars. He's never done a space opera before unless you count Lost In Space. Man, I hope it doesn't sound like Lost In Space. I'm sure this is going to suck!

-Erik-

To be fair, though, Williams had done his fair share of ambitious orchestral music with lots of scope, leitmotifs etc. long before STAR WARS came around.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's not the point.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wasn't it? I thought you made that parallell to say something about 'pre-judging'?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    His Godzilla score would appear to have come out of nowhere if you look at his previous scores

Absolutely: that was utterly out of left field.
    And to be fair: I was concentrating on his minimalist scores....simply because -as I just realised- I didn't hear any of his more fantasy-inclined scores (the final Harry Potters or Guardians Of The Something or other).

But as I said yesterday: I'm not so much bothered with Desplat's assignment as I am with fourteen Star Wars films (not counting the 6 TV series (not counting the eight cartoon ones)) a year.

And no, Captain, I never, ever exaggerate. Ever!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    What? I thought Godzilla to be a perfectly predictable progression of Desplat's previous work on Hostage, Harry Potter, and Zero Dark Thirty. I don't remember being particularly surprised when listening to it the first few times, except for finding the recording to be more impactful than most of his others. The sentiment that it is surprising....seems so odd that I'm not 100% there's not a sarcastic joke that I'm missing here... confused

Did I brainwash myself into reconceiving what I expect from Desplat after the fact?
  6. Scribe wrote

Did I brainwash myself into reconceiving what I expect from Desplat after the fact?

No, the NSA did. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Me, I blame atheists and scientists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atheists have no morals, and scientists are always changing their minds. They can't be trusted!

Scribe wrote
    The sentiment that it is surprising....seems so odd that I'm not 100% there's not a sarcastic joke that I'm missing here... confused

Heavens no, we're above sarcasm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I was being serious, I really do not understand saying that Godzilla came out of left field. Am I the only one? slant
  7. Well I knew before that Desplat was one of the most versatile composers out there so maybe I should not have been that surprised. But yes, that kind of symphonic heavy metal coming from Desplat did take me by surprise. It further enhanced my already high esteem for the maestro.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    I was being serious, I really do not understand saying that Godzilla came out of left field. Am I the only one? slant

Nope!

great score but didn't surprise me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That greatly surprises me.
    But then I am an atheist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote

Nope!

great score but didn't surprise me.

I may have misspoke. I wouldn't say it surprised me as such. In true hipster fashion, I was ecstatic about it before anyone had even heard it, thinking Desplat was a great choice. What I meant was that he'd never really written a score quite like that before. It sprung like a photon from an electron; it wasn't there before, but given the right conditions it's inevitable. (Or whatever analogy you feel comfortable with.)

But whatever -- Desplat is my jam, yo.