• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015
    Martijn wrote
    That greatly surprises me.
    But then I am an atheist.

Belief in Godzilla makes me a better person, ergo he is real.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Desplat is my jam, yo.

I believe in jam.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015
    As I said, I was taken by surprise, having heard only Deplat's minimalist lightweight scores. This avant-garde violence shocked me to my very core.

But the reaction is no different, I guess, to listening to Williams' The War Of the Worlds after only ever having heard his jazz works.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015 edited
    Martijn wrote
    This avant-garde violence shocked me to my very core.

biggrin

We needs this emoticon. We needs it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    As I said, I was taken by surprise, having heard only Deplat's minimalist lightweight scores. This avant-garde violence shocked me to my very core.

But the reaction is no different, I guess, to listening to Williams' The War Of the Worlds after only ever having heard his jazz works.

Okay, now I understand. I missed the fact that you had only listened to his minimalist works before. Thanks for clarifying.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    This avant-garde violence shocked me to my very core.

biggrin

We needs this emoticon. We needs it.

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Thor wrote
    To be fair, though, Williams had done his fair share of ambitious orchestral music with lots of scope, leitmotifs etc. long before STAR WARS came around.

So has Desplat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Wasn't it? I thought you made that parallell to say something about 'pre-judging'?

Sorry... I really meant to type that's my point. iPhone. Not sure how NOT got in there though. confused confused

Anyway...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Thor wrote
    To be fair, though, Williams had done his fair share of ambitious orchestral music with lots of scope, leitmotifs etc. long before STAR WARS came around.

So has Desplat.

Exactly. And in all honestly, I don't really care if these spin off films follow Williams' sound. All I REALLY care about are the direct sequels. In saying that, Desplat (with Conrad Pope as orchestrator) on a Star Wars film is really exciting news!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Thor wrote

So has Desplat.

Not really. Not to the same extent, anyway. He's mostly obsessed with clusters, minimalism, ostinati and circular motions (often -- although not exclusively -- with a quirky bent). And, in my opinion, a rather lacklustre and directionless sound that either grates or is totally indifferent. The huge melodies and expansive thematic universe have been totally absent, as far as I can see -- also in fantasy-oriented material like HARRY POTTER, RISE OF THE GUARDIANS and THE GOLDEN COMPASS, which usually call for it and which would give us an idea on how he would approach something like STAR WARS.

Nope, I'll continue to be skeptical to this assignment.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You are weird. Often, even when most people cannot follow you anymore, I still think you make sense, but now you even lost me! spin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hey, that's taste -- we all like different things. You like that Rodenbach beer, I do not. You like Desplat, I do not. It's how the world spins. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm with Thor on this one.
    And as I am the measure of all things, we can now safely upgrade this to FACT.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. As far as I can tell there's only one significant disadvantage to having Desplat score a STAR WARS film: this used to to be the one thread I could open here where most posts bordered on interesting. Alas, we're into a new regime. Why couldn't it have gone to Tyler Bates?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    The huge melodies and expansive thematic universe have been totally absent, as far as I can see -- also in fantasy-oriented material like HARRY POTTER, RISE OF THE GUARDIANS and THE GOLDEN COMPASS, which usually call for it and which would give us an idea on how he would approach something like STAR WARS.

I'm going to assume that either you've never actually listened to THE GOLDEN COMPASS or else you just hate beautiful music now, because that comment makes no sense in any other context.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. franz_conrad wrote
    As far as I can tell there's only one significant disadvantage to having Desplat score a STAR WARS film: this used to to be the one thread I could open here where most posts bordered on interesting. Alas, we're into a new regime. Why couldn't it have gone to Tyler Bates?

Hipster.
  4. Some add signal, most add noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I totally enjoyed Golden Compass but will keep an open mind on this one.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  5. "Golden Compass" and "Rise of the Guardians" are two of the main reasons why I am exited about Desplat scoring SW. I can hear nothing aimless or circular hear, just great symphonic film music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
  6. I didn't think you were a fan of Golden Compass, Erik?

Rise of the Guardians...yeah, that at least has some of the exuberance I'd want to hear from a Star Wars film that's set near the time of A New Hope. Still, it's more of a step-in-the-right-direction thing than a this-would-be-perfect-for-Star-Wars thing.
  7. What's your criterion Edmund? As close to Williams as possible? This spin-off film will differ in many ways from the "trilogy films". Grant Desplat air to breath.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    "Golden Compass" and "Rise of the Guardians" are two of the main reasons why I am exited about Desplat scoring SW. I can hear nothing aimless or circular hear, just great symphonic film music.

Volker

That's interesting. Except for a track or two, I find both of those as lacklustre and dire as anything in his HARRY POTTER scores. And those are REALLY bad, so that's saying something. But of course, all three are much better than most anything else in Desplat drama or comedy oeuvre (except for some early Audiard works).

God -- it's so refreshing to suddenly find an outlet for all my built-up Desplat hate!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. His Potter scores are not bad. They fit their respective films like a glove. Not easy listening experiances but great film scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I didn't think you were a fan of Golden Compass, Erik?

I still don't like The Golden Compass as whole but I can appreciate the effort in creating symphonic themes and leitmotifs, which is what the Star Wars scores are all about. Rise of the Guardians is on a whole other level, being one of my all time favorite Desplat scores, Grand symphonic goodness.

BTW, Desplat was severely hampered creatively on the Potter films. He really couldn't do what he wanted to do on those films. FACT! However, on Rise, he was given the opportunity to let his imagination and creativity flow freely. It's quite obvious that when Desplat is on his A-Game (Rise, Godzilla, The Ghost Writer) he can knock them out with the best of them.

-Erik-
  9. Thor, sometimes I think you just like being contrary for the sake of contrariness.
  10. And you just know he's going to disagree with you, thereby proving your point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ignoring him is the best remedy.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...which you steadfastly fail in doing, Erik. wink

It's interesting to me that I started off with a strong dislike for Desplat (hey, me and minimalism. The best BFF since Molotov and Ribbentrop), but that I am starting to appreciate him more and more.
    That said, I can certainly recognise some of my own reservations in several of Thor's points.

I'm sure this was a post that Franz would be proud off.
    My signal ratio is generally through the roof
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Thor, sometimes I think you just like being contrary for the sake of contrariness.

Well, I know it's hard to fathom how someone cannot like Alexandre Desplat, but this is getting ridiculous. What gives? Is he the new Jerry Goldsmith-at-FSM? The 'golden calf' that everyone must bow down to and worship?
    I am extremely serious.