• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2008 edited
    I've yet to get my first Desplat score. I have Lust, Caution coming my way later in December, but as the name implies, I'm approaching it with much caution. So far my only true introduction to Desplat has been Syriana, from watching the movie. I was not only completely lost by the plot, obviously, but also completely put off by the droning music. Surely he's not exclusively "that" kind of composer, who specializes exclusively in "high class" (ie. boring) projects, like Stephen Warbeck, Jan A. P. Kaczmarek and David Julyan? (although I'll say now that I quite like the first two)

The fact that he's scored The Golden Compass lets me believe that isn't so. It shows he can accept an adventurous project, no? I can't tell exactly how adventurous that score is as I haven't heard it either, but the bottom line is I'll keep approaching him with much caution.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. Well, whether because of typecasting, clever career choices, or some other reason, he is mostly that sort of composer. He mostly does dramas. There are more action/adventure/thriller style films in there, but they haven't typically been his bread-and-butter, particularly in the last 5 years. If you find dramatic scores uninteresting, no matter what themes or the orchestrations or anything else are like, then he's probably not for you. On the other hand, the fact that you enjoy a Delerue score over in the Now Playing thread today suggests to me you should look closer.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2008
    I certainly do enjoy dramatic scores, but I think that so many composers out there don't know how to make them truly interesting. They can be very effective, cerebral, intellectual scores, and because of the subject matter those composers are usually heralded as geniuses and showered with Oscars, but the fact of the matter is they can easily be boring. Masterful, and yet boring.

James Horner is always someone I've been able to trust to make a dramatic score interesting and enjoyable. I'm even starting to appreciate The Life Before Her Eyes, which isn't an easy listen. And indeed, the attraction of Georges Delerue's music is undeniable. And, like I said, I've been thoroughly enjoying every Jan A. P. Kaczmarek score I've gotten so far, such as Unfaithful and Washington Square. That is gorgeous drama music. Dario Marianelli's Pride and Prejudice on the other hand... sleep

So right now, based on Syriana alone, I have my doubts about Desplat, but I suppose I'll see for myself soon.

There's also a subliminal aspect to his name that doesn't help: there's "plat" in his name. In French Canadian dialect, that's slang for "boring."
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    So right now, based on Syriana alone, I have my doubts about Desplat, but I suppose I'll see for myself soon.

Syriana is probably the least interesting Desplat score I own (and I own 37). Don't worry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Ah good, so it was a poor first exposure then.

37?!?!??? Has he been out there that long already? Have there really been 37 released CDs? These aren't all commercial releases, are they?
  2. On the other hand, I was more in favour of SYRIANA, and I felt he should have had an Oscar nom for it:
    http://www.musicweb-international.com/f … ml#syriana

wink

But I agree, however it works for the film, it's not my favourite of his.

There are about 40 score albums out with Desplat's name on it, I think. Some of them feature very short scores, however, and a couple are things he's supervised recordings for rather than composed original music for. (E.g. Casanova, that Delerue score Un Chinois...)
  3. Yep, 37, and the vast majority are commercial releases (although some are imports from France). I have:

- Amazone (2000)
    - Birth (2004)
    - C'est Pas Ma Faute! (1999) - French import
    - Firewall (2006)
    - Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003)
    - Hostage (2005)
    - Innocent Lies (1996) - French import
    - Inquiétudes (2003) - French import
    - La Femme du Cosmonaute (1998) - French import
    - Le Château des Singes (1999) - French import
    - Le Rire et Châtiment (2003) - French import
    - L'Ennemi Intime (2007) - French import
    - L'Enquête Corse (2004) - French import
    - Les Portes de la Gloire (2001) - French import
    - Love, Etc. (1996) - French import
    - Lust Caution (2007)
    - Marie-Louise Ou La Permission (1995) - French import
    - Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (2007)
    - Nid De Guêpes (2002) - French import
    - Syriana (2005)
    - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
    - The Golden Compass (2007)
    - The Luzhin Defence (2000)
    - The Painted Veil (2006)
    - The Queen (2006)
    - The Upside of Anger (2005)
    - Toni (1999) - French import
    - Un Héros Très Discret (1996) - French import
    - Une Chance Sur Deux (1998) - French import
    - a suite from À Boire (2004)
    - a suite from Casanova (2005)
    - a suite from De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrêté (2005)
    - a suite from Les Milles (1995)
    - a suite from Regarde Les Hommes Tomber (1994)
    - a suite from Reines d'un Jour (2001)
    - a suite from Restons Groupés (1998)
    - a suite from Sur Mes Lèvres (2001)

smile
  4. Jon Broxton wrote
    Yep, 37, and the vast majority are commercial releases (although some are imports from France). I have:

- Amazone
    - C'est Pas Ma Faute! (1999) - French import
    - Le Château des Singes (1999) - French import
    - Le Rire et Châtiment (2003) - French import
    - L'Enquête Corse (2004) - French import
    - Les Portes de la Gloire (2001) - French import
    - Marie-Louise Ou La Permission (1995) - French import
    - a suite from À Boire (2004)
    - a suite from Casanova (2005)
    - a suite from Restons Groupés (1998)

Any treasures in that patch? Those are the ones I've not heard, mostly because of the small quantities on a lot of the albums.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm guessing from the Varese track times that the 9 tracks available for streaming are the following... This assumes that any of the pieces are whole tracks, which could be a mistake.

1. Largo Winch (3:07)
    2. (0:29) (too short to be any of the tracks)
    3. On the Run (3:26)
    4. (0:43) (also too short to be any of the tracks)
    5. Vision in the Waves? (1:05)
    6. W Building (2:48)
    7. Hidden Souvenirs (2:51)
    8. (1:39) (unclear - the Betrayal track probably)
    9. Anna's Death (3:43)

I was trying to work this out as well. I think you're right about the first one, but a lot of the other tracks just seem to cut off so I don't know how long they are in full.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    franz_conrad wrote
    There are about 40 score albums out with Desplat's name on it, I think. Some of them feature very short scores, however, and a couple are things he's supervised recordings for rather than composed original music for. (E.g. Casanova, that Delerue score Un Chinois...)

Hm, good to know. If I like what I hear I may begin a new crusade to collect his work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Jon can change his handle to JOB
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.readbookonline.net/read/690/10628/

For those of you who care to read the story
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have the complete Largo Winch coming too
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    HeeroJF wrote
    I've yet to get my first Desplat score. I have Lust, Caution coming my way later in December, but as the name implies, I'm approaching it with much caution. So far my only true introduction to Desplat has been Syriana, from watching the movie. I was not only completely lost by the plot, obviously, but also completely put off by the droning music. Surely he's not exclusively "that" kind of composer, who specializes exclusively in "high class" (ie. boring) projects, like Stephen Warbeck, Jan A. P. Kaczmarek and David Julyan? (although I'll say now that I quite like the first two)

The fact that he's scored The Golden Compass lets me believe that isn't so. It shows he can accept an adventurous project, no? I can't tell exactly how adventurous that score is as I haven't heard it either, but the bottom line is I'll keep approaching him with much caution.

Three words for ya: The Painted Veil
    Amazing Work
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    Perhaps the complete LW will arrive in the mail today. I can only hope
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    LW came to me from the mastering company and is a total of 64'40" Not sure if this is the final product or not. There are 26 tracks. I'm confused about this Betrayal material? Doesn't seem to be there. Is there additional material I'm not aware of?
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I wish someone new more about LW
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    sdtom wrote
    I wish someone new more about LW

All I know is give it to me! tongue

Betrayl material?? Where has that been mentioned?

Also, why do you get stuff from the mastering company? confused
  5. Track 21 is called 'Freddy's Betrayal' according to the Varese tracklisting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Ah Freddy's Deal. Now it makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Alexandre likes me cheesy cheesy cheesy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008
    Explain!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    On the other hand, the fact that you enjoy a Delerue score over in the Now Playing thread today suggests to me you should look closer.

OK, I'm really confused now: Delerue is THE most emotional, romantic (to the point of sentimentalism) composer I have ever heard. Desplat, on the oter hand, writes lyrically at times, but always very restrained, and -as mentioned in another thread- with a recording control that borders on the clinical.

What, apart from a French name, do these two composers possible share?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I too fail to "see" the Delerue / Barry parallelisms with Desplat's music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote

That makes three of us. I've yet to hear anything by Desplat that goes so DIRECTLY to the emotional/melodic core as Delerue, nor does he have that kind of wistful melancholy. Except that they're both film composers working in a predominantly orchestral idiom, I don't hear the similarity.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Whose post are you referring to?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    That makes four of us. Jon is wrong on this one. Timmer they're talking about Broxton and his review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Alexandre took a liking to me Anthony over my review of his quartet material. As you know I have quite a fondness for classical material.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008 edited
    Fair enough, so how is LW? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not in the same class as CCBB but definitely a welcome addition to your Desplat collection. However, as I already told Bregt it doesn't have the Alexandre sound.
    Thomas smile