• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    To each his own. So they say anyway.

I find that the attention for details in Desplat's music is quite remarkable.

A score like Julie/Julia that can be quite "generic" because of its style of movie is a notch more interesting penned by him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    I don't know a great deal of his music, and some of it puts me to sleep, but he's clearly got bucket loads of talent. beer

Music full of charm and melody puts you to sleep?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    Don't forget about L'armée du crime. The film will arrive mid-September, I believe, and I'm told Naïve Records, the French label that released Un Prophète, will also release this one.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I don't know a great deal of his music, and some of it puts me to sleep, but he's clearly got bucket loads of talent. beer

Music full of charm and melody puts you to sleep?

*grabs the hype buckit*
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    While we're speaking of Julie & Julia, here's my two cents: I love it! Good themes (three of them!), detailed and creative orchestrations (I expected nothing less from Desplat), plenty of variety, and oodles of charm. I've had a hard time listening to anything else over the last few days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Come on. Tell me other similarly restrained and melodic scores by other composers you actually like. Apart LOST. Zero? wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I don't mean it like that, but lets be honest, you're all over ANYTHING Desplat does, just like I am with Giacchino. wink
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Yes, the variety in the orchestrations makes it quite charming. I love the little modern twist to Julie's theme.
    Did you get that one cue (Julia at Home, Julie at work) that Sony was offering for free?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    No, you're wrong Ant.

Queen, i despise it.
    Almost all of his older french comedy / action scores, with few darker, more restrained exceptions.
    The Golden Compass and Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium aren't my thing either. Casanova isn't good either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, you're wrong Ant.

Queen, i despise it.
    Almost all of his older french comedy / action scores, with few darker, more restrained exceptions.
    The Golden Compass and Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium aren't my thing either. Casanova isn't good either.

You DESPITE The Queen!? Seriously? While I can understand if you said you didn't enjoy it as much as some others, it's hard to imagine how anyone could love most of his work but despise The Queen!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That told yer din't it!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, you're wrong Ant.

Queen, i despise it.

Ok, glad we agree there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, you're wrong Ant.

Queen, i despise it.

You DESPITE The Queen!? Seriously? While I can understand if you said you didn't enjoy it as much as some others, it's hard to imagine how anyone could love most of his work but despise The Queen!

It's too friggin saccharine. Can't stand it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sounds rather like many of his other scores to me!

We need Thor to intervene here to tell us which of us is unquestionably right else I don't really see the way forward.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Christodoulides wrote

It's too friggin saccharine. Can't stand it.

Ok Maybe you should skip Julie/Julia then.. It does have some redeeming charm that The Queen didn't have necessarily.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Too many major scales.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought the Queen was quite a good score, not brilliant but certainly listenable and not as full of saccharine as D makes out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Yes,
    Timmer wrote
    I thought the Queen was quite a good score, not brilliant but certainly listenable and not as full of saccharine as D makes out.

Yes, I thought that too. It has that British restraint.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    British something, it had for sure. That's why i didn't like it perhaps? I am not the greatest fan of British orchestral traits anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tintin wrote
    Yes,
    Timmer wrote

Yes, I thought that too. It has that British restraint.

That's what I thought too. I was very impressed by it. From that year I think The Painted Veil was the slightly stronger work (and indeed is probably my favourite Desplat score) but I never found The Queen to be saccharine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martin, have you heard Un Prophète and can comment on it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    British something, it had for sure. That's why i didn't like it perhaps? I am not the greatest fan of British orchestral traits anyway.

Such as?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I pray that we soon get another Largo Winch or Hostage action/adventure score. Firewall didn't quite cut it, but Desplat channeling Arnold or Barry sounds fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Vaughan Williams-y, for instance. I am more into the romantic sound of the french, Russian and some of the German school of music instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    Tintin wrote
    Yes, the variety in the orchestrations makes it quite charming. I love the little modern twist to Julie's theme.
    Did you get that one cue (Julia at Home, Julie at work) that Sony was offering for free?

Yeah, I did get that one; one of my favorite tracks in the score. And I'm with you 100% on Julie's theme; at first I was slightly bothered by the synthesized sound effect(s) used to modernize that theme, but after listening to the score a few times it made a lot of sense and I actually came to appreciate that subtle detail.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Demetris, all I heard are the two cues that are on the Naïve site and the samples from the online record shops.
    Did you listen to the two full cues? It sounds like there is a fair bit of dialogue included on the CD unfortunately.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    I pray that we soon get another Largo Winch or Hostage action/adventure score. Firewall didn't quite cut it, but Desplat channeling Arnold or Barry sounds fantastic!

MMMMMMMM!!!! Agree I do ( but more Barry than Arnold )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tintin wrote
    Demetris, all I heard are the two cues that are on the Naïve site and the samples from the online record shops.
    Did you listen to the two full cues? It sounds like there is a fair bit of dialogue included on the CD unfortunately.

Not yet, will check them out!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Vaughan Williams-y, for instance.

I see such genius is beyond you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote

Desplat channeling Arnold! Now there's a thought. It would be like Heston Blumenthal channeling Ronald McDonald.