• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Anthony wrote
    I don't mean it like that, but lets be honest, you're all over ANYTHING Desplat does, just like I am with Giacchino. wink

Were you mentioning me, sir?

Southall wrote
    We need Thor to intervene here to tell us which of us is unquestionably right else I don't really see the way forward.

I'm not sure that's what we most need. I prefer to have my impossible disputes resolved by a panel chaired by Ford Thaxton, Ryan Keaveney and a representative of Fox news.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I don't mean it like that, but lets be honest, you're all over ANYTHING Desplat does, just like I am with Giacchino. wink

Were you mentioning me, sir?

I was referencing D in that instance. wink
  2. I know. wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    I'm really looking forward to the Fantastic Mr. Fox score and film.

Anybody know if he is using any of Carter Burwell's themes in the new Twlight film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Carter Burwell's TWILIGHT had themes?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hehe, I was going to say the same thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I should go and get checked for Southalitis then. shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I pray that we soon get another Largo Winch or Hostage action/adventure score. Firewall didn't quite cut it, but Desplat channeling Arnold or Barry sounds fantastic!

Desplat channeling Arnold! Now there's a thought. It would be like Heston Blumenthal channeling Ronald McDonald.

vomit <--me chocking on my coffee LOL biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Vaughan Williams-y, for instance.

I see such genius is beyond you.

Actually I take it back, I don't think you'd know Vaughan Williams if his tombstone whacked yer arse on the way out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Christodoulides wrote

I don´t have the score, but I remember a very significant two-note "danger" motif that worked very well for me in the movie (not unlike something Morricone would have done for a Western). It wouldn´t be a mistake to reuse it in combination with new stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I don´t have the score, but I remember a very significant two-note "danger" motif that worked very well for me in the movie (not unlike something Morricone would have done for a Western). It wouldn´t be a mistake to reuse it in combination with new stuff.

I wonder if Desplat would be up for that? I'm never really a big fan of composers of sequel scores having to work around the original film's themes - almost wish the filmmakers would just hire someone cheap to simply adapt the whole of the first score (a la Ken Thorne on Superman II) rather than hiring someone expensive and getting them to dance around someone else's themes, if that's what they really want - otherwise it almost always leads to jarring moments. Someone who did it very well was Michael Giacchino in Mission: Impossible III, but that was through him writing a score which evoked Schifrin throughout - can't see Desplat wanting to just mimic Burwell, so that approach is probably out. I'd imagine he'd just do his own thing, won't he?
  4. I would asume Desplat writes his own stuff, but the motif I mentioned could be easily dropped in once or twice (without harming Desplat´s own style and themes) and so preserve a certain kind of continuity. It would be much less intrusive than, for example, having to use Hedwig´s Theme for a Potter score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009 edited
    As much as I would like it, I don´t think the producers care enough to ask him to do it, and I don´t see anyone else stepping up for it, after all the changes they made from Twilight to New Moon. If it happens, I´d be very surprised. On the other hand, I don´t care enough about this franchise to think it to be that much important. It would be a nice touch, and easily done, but I´m sure Desplat will write something terrific with or without Burwell´s 'help'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I personally don't care the slightest for the franchise, it's clearly aimed at people completely different than me; but i do care for the score and i am confident for what will Desplat deliver; for anyone who's followed him all from the beginning, including his lesser known darker french scores and especially the brilliant BIRTH, he has a great gift for this kind of scoring.

As for reusing the old themes, i too don't find it necessary that a new composer should stick to what someone else has done before him; he's a new person, a different persona and certainly a different composer, you can't expect everyone to stick to what another colleague has done in the past since not all people are sharing the same visions obviously, musical and not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Twilight had some themes. The motif Ralph mentioned and another one prominent in the Lullaby which comes and goes in other pieces too. I pretty curious too to see how Desplat is going to score this story.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009
    You can listen to the whole score of Un Prophète right here:

http://www.musicme.com/

Just enter Alexandre Desplat's name at the top and then click on the cd you want to listen to. Most of the scores are there in entirety which is great to see if you waant to buy the CD. A few of them have the usual 30 seconds to offer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009
    It doesn't work for me; says something about only being able to stream full tracks if you're located in France. So I'm stuck with 30-second samples. Grrr
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    I personally don't care the slightest for the franchise, it's clearly aimed at people completely different than me; but i do care for the score and i am confident for what will Desplat deliver; for anyone who's followed him all from the beginning, including his lesser known darker french scores and especially the brilliant BIRTH, he has a great gift for this kind of scoring.

New Moon is a big franchise picture for Summit. I wouldn't be surprised if we get some of Desplat's sensibilities for The Golden Compass (which Chris Weitz also directed), with some of that exotic percussion and Tibetan bowls to represent the werewolves.

And I'm shocked Julie & Julia hasn't received a score release. It's doing well financially and Desplat is now a marketable name, so it just baffles me. A bit like Coco Avant Chanel with that George Fenton/Nora Ephron lightness.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    Matt C wrote
    And I'm shocked Julie & Julia hasn't received a score release.

http://www.amazon.com/Julie-Original-Mo … amp;sr=1-1
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009
    UN PROPHETE

SOUND CLIPS

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12829
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009
    Ooh, looks like something very suited to Desplat's style! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    Alexandre Desplat adapted music by colleague-composers like Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith, Georges Delerue and Gabriel Yared. The composer and Traffic Quintet pay a musical tribute to these mythical women called Divine Féminin. A marvellous film soundtrack night with ‘Women’ as theme, on Wednesday 14 October in Handelsbeurs Ghent.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … 9/#Item_13
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009
    FANTASTIC MR.FOX

trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searc … sticmrfox/
  5. Tell you what Demetris, if you've had enough of the fluffy Desplat, ARMY OF CRIME and UN PROPHETE should be up your alley, going on the soundclips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009
    I didn't have enough of it, i enjoy it at times; but those times are way more limited than the other instances where i enjoy his darker, thematically-rich side smile Thanks for the tips, i am already eagerly awaiting for those scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009
    Desplat to receive the ‘Hollywood Award’

http://moviescoremagazine.com/2009/09/d … ood-award/
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009
    First "New Moon" Realise announced:
    http://www.warnermusic.ch/catalogue_det … 92-sD.html

It is yet not clear, if this is the Desplat score or parts of it or just an inspired-by-album. The cover only sais "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack".
    We'll see...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009
    That must be the song only album.

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Moon-Sou … mp;s=music
  6. UN PROPHETE is quite nice. Have you heard it Demetris?