• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010
    fommes wrote
    I'm probably late to the party, as always, but how awesome is The Ghost Writer! The best score of 2010 so far for me, by a mile. A great theme, and surely one of the best climaxes on an album of the last few years. Desplat is really one of the few who can hold it back in order to go all out at the end. Tension-building and musical climax at its best, surely?

Have you watched the movie too? I'd say it's of equal qualities.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010
    Yup, great movie as well. Well not great great, but still top-notch. At least now and then we got a good "old-fashioned"* thriller in the theatres!

* = decently structured, good build-up, no idiotic overuse of shakycams, etc.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010
    I was reading an interview on Cinezik website and Desplat talks about The Tree of Life. While participating as a member of the jury at the Cannes film festival, he mentioned that he recorded additional music in LA in early May. He hopes that Malik finishes the editing soon!!!

He will start the recording of the last Harry Potter this summer and he says that he will use and rearrange John Williams' theme as often as possible. he thought that it wasn't used enough in the previous films. Sounds good to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Tintin wrote
    He will start the recording of the last Harry Potter this summer and he says that he will use and rearrange John Williams' theme as often as possible. he thought that it wasn't used enough in the previous films. Sounds good to me.

Another reason to love this guy more than I already do!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Stavroula wrote
    Tintin wrote

I don't love him that much but that comment above has me respecting the man much more than I use to!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Tintin wrote

I don't love him that much but that comment above has me respecting the man much more than I use to!

-Erik-

His music makes me respect him the utmost. He's one of the brightest currently composing in film and the above comment makes that even firmer.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    His music makes me respect him the utmost. He's one of the brightest currently composing in film and the above comment makes that even firmer.

Meh!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Tintin wrote

-Erik-

Agree with D beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Tintin wrote

-Erik-

I think one thing he has in common with Giacchino is that he listens to film music himself. He knows what came before him. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Respect!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Seeing Desplat's comments about Harry Potter warms my heart. I hope that he uses "A Window to the Past" as well, since some scenes in the movie would really bring on the tears if it's used.

Erik Woods wrote
    Meh! -Erik-

Oh c'mon, he deserves it. I'd rather have a carefully-structured and beautifully orchestrated Desplat score than several churned out RC scores.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Oh c'mon, he deserves it. I'd rather have a carefully-structured and beautifully orchestrated Desplat score than several churned out RC scores.

I guess so... but for the most part most RC scores and 98% of Desplat's scores leave me very, very cold.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

I guess so... but for the most part most RC scores and 98% of Desplat's scores leave me very, very cold.

-Erik-

So which was the 2% you liked?
  2. Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

So which was the 2% you liked?

There's no way anyone can listen to "The River Waltz" from The Painted Veil or "The Birth Feast" from Girl with a Pearl Earring and not want to soar...
  3. And as far as him scoring the next Harry Potter film, I can't think of anyone better...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    John Williams shame
  4. Well, he's not exactly in the equation anymore, is he? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010
    Anthony's still right, equation or not!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

There's no way anyone can listen to "The River Waltz" from The Painted Veil or "The Birth Feast" from Girl with a Pearl Earring and not want to soar...

I thought you really liked Desplat's Coco Avant Chanel. confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Anthony's still right, equation or not!

Yeap! It's a no-brainer.

Still, I'm looking forward to hearing what Desplat does.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I thought you really liked Desplat's Coco Avant Chanel. confused

Birth, Hostage, Coco Avant Chanel and New Moon. That's about it. Weather or not that equals 2% of Desplat's work on not I don't know. All that I know is I don't really like the doods music.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Largo Winch
    Hostage
    Julie & Julia
    Firewall
    The Ghost Writer
    Girl With A Pearl Earring
    New Moon

That's my Desplat collection, and I love them all other than New Moon which is just "ok". Can't get into Benjamin Button or Coco etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    How about Painted Veil Antony? It's truly wonderful! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  5. Stavroula wrote

Yes, awesome score. I already mentioned The River Waltz, but there's also The Water Wheel. It just makes me melt into ice... biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sleep

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    sleep

-Erik-

Some of the tracks are pretty hypnotic, and could put someone to sleep with the warm strings. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My favourite Desplat score is Benjamin Button.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Birth, Hostage, Coco Avant Chanel and New Moon. That's about it. Weather or not that equals 2% of Desplat's work on not I don't know. All that I know is I don't really like the doods music.

It's actually 3%. 4/119 = 0.03
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Stavroula wrote

The River Waltz is gorgeous but the rest sends me to sleep. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I just cannot get into anything Desplat does. sad
    There's one or two tracks from most of hist scores I find enchanting, and I really rather like his Golden Compass....but at the end of the day, he doesn't move me. At all.

Like Erik, it generally just puts me to sleep.
    More's the pity. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn