• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    I just cannot get into anything Desplat does. sad
    There's one or two tracks from most of hist scores I find enchanting, and I really rather like his Golden Compass....but at the end of the day, he doesn't move me. At all.

Like Erik, it generally just puts me to sleep.
    More's the pity. sad

Doubtless you will be surprised to learn that I am his biggest fan.

And so our ancient emnity finds new battlegrounds to manifest on.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    Steven wrote
    My favourite Desplat score is Benjamin Button.

Probably mine too. Girl With a Pearl Earring comes close second.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    There's one or two tracks from most of hist scores I find enchanting, and I really rather like his Golden Compass....but at the end of the day, he doesn't move me. At all.

More's the pity. sad

Pity indeed! But as I've always said liking or disliking something is a very personal matter. I,on the other hand, love him.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Benjamin Button is actually one Desplat score I haven't really warmed up to the fullest yet. Must give it more listens soon. I really love most of his other scores like Lust Caution, Girl With A Pearl Earring, Largo Winch etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    As for Benjamin Button, it probably helps me that I love the movie very much as well.
    Every time I listen to the CD those magical scenes from the movie appear in my head.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Like Ravi, I've not warmed to Benjamin Button, I need to give it another listen at some point. On the whole I really enjoy Desplat's music.

p.s. I picked up Benjamin Button, sealed, for £2 cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bargain. People think it's boring, but they're looking at it all wrong - it's relaxing! Very very relaxing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    And it's very nice, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Martijn wrote

More's the pity. sad

Pity indeed! But as I've always said liking or disliking something is a very personal matter. I,on the other hand, love him.

You're missing on some great music mate, very sentimental, beautiful.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Bargain. People think it's boring, but they're looking at it all wrong - it's relaxing! Very very relaxing.

Soothing, smooth and elegant. Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    You're missing on some great music mate, very sentimental, beautiful.

All skill and no sentiment.
    I find that Desplat is best enjoyed through a playlist of his best tracks. Far mroe so than ploughing through whole scores.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No sentiment? That's very surprising to hear, from the lover of his music aspect smile I'd say "different type of sentiments than the ones we used to hear in such films", but "no" sentiment at all? I think that's odd to say the least smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, especially when you consider that Desplat has been Delerue's collaborator/orchestrator for many long years, I think the difference between real sentiment and appropriate skill is painfully obvious.

But hey-ho I'm open to anything.
    Haven't found anything by Desplat I'm properly moved by, but I do by and large enjoy Largo Winch, The Golden Compass, L'Enquête Corse and Casanova (as well as about a third of Twlight: New Moon).

But if you really feel there are powerfully sentimental works by him out there, by all means tell me and I'll try them (though, for example, Benjamin Button is about the worst snoozefest I have had to sit through).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There you nailed it. It's a very different sentiment than what Delerue would have written and i know you're a large fan of the latter (who isn't anyway). But it's a different approach, indeed, but to dismiss it completely as plain and cold technique with no feeling, it's not really spot on imo, with the themes and melodic, sentimental pieces he's written all these years.

Question: have you seen the films he scored? at least most of them, like Button for instance?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep. Hated Button. Overlong, oversentimental, overhyped, overacted, overboring.
    Horrid film.

Seen Largo Winch too, I think (not sure), The Golden Compass, Girl With The Pearl Earring (another overrated snoozer)...ermmmmm....That's all I can think of right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, i think you're a bit biased 'cause you didn't like the movies, perhaps? smile What about twiligh: new moon? Of course you haven't watched it (i hope! I haven't either) but what about the music? Or syriana? or the upside of anger, or birth? or the gorgeously-shot THE PAINTED VEIL (tremendously aided by the music btw). ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, I did rather like Golden Compass as a film.
    I'm not sure how many other films scored by Desplat I have seen? But for now the negative experiences do seem to outweigh the positive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't really have any positive or negative feelings towards him. I'm just indifferent.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Over the last year I've grown from disinterested in Desplat with Birth, my first score from him (good but didn't do it), to interested (Hostage, Golden Compass), to very excited (Girl with a Pearl Earring, Golden Compass again, with some actual decent listens).
    Now I'm a huge fan, and am busy tracking all of his in-print CDs. He's really the new Williams for me (and I haven't declared that before, not even with some of my favourite "new" composers like David Arnold or Giacchino): the music isn't only elegant and melodic like Williams's, but it's also musically subtle. He knows his way around the orchestra like only few do; and he uses that. Just like Williams, his orchestrations are great. Some of his French scores actually resemble Williams's smaller-scale scores like Stanley & Iris, The Accidental Tourist etc. a lot! Plus, he can truly hold some back to go all out in the climax; there's actual construction and progression with him. Take for instance Golden Compass and Ghost Writer; how awesome is it when he lets the orchestra loose on the icebear fight or the last battle in the former or the penultimate track of the latter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    fommes wrote
    How awesome is it when he lets the orchestra loose on the icebear fight or the last battle in the former or the penultimate track of the latter.

Nails on a chalk board. I LOATHE that Polar Bear action cue.

-Erik-

PS - I barfed in my mouth when you compared Desplat to Williams.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Well, let's talk about this in 20 years and see who's been right smile
  2. fommes wrote

I don't think anyone will ever be able to reach the shoes of one Williams or Goldsmith, not even the masters of today, so I'm pretty sure Erik will be right wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Martijn wrote
    Yep. Hated Button. Overlong, oversentimental, overhyped, overacted, overboring.
    Horrid film.

Seen Largo Winch too, I think (not sure), The Golden Compass, Girl With The Pearl Earring (another overrated snoozer)...ermmmmm....That's all I can think of right now.

Why has no mentioned Luzhin Defence? It's one of his top works and I daresay, the most likable to all.
    No love for Lust, Caution either, Martijn?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I don't think anyone will ever be able to reach the shoes of one Williams or Goldsmith, not even the masters of today, so I'm pretty sure Erik will be right wink

I'm sure people said that about Rosza and Herrmann, too, you know!
  3. fommes wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I'm sure people said that about Rosza and Herrmann, too, you know!

I'm talking more of the people who know those composers today
    each generation grows up with a different composer, I get your point but for most of us here Williams and Goldsmith is Rozsa and Herrmann of our time
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes

Ah, in that case, I concur, of course!
  4. fommes wrote

Ah, in that case, I concur, of course!

that aside, no matter how good I think Desplat is, I just don't like em very much, his style is not one I dig .... yet
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    fommes wrote

I can see where you are coming from when you talk about orchestrations since Conrad Pope is Desplat's and Williams' principle orchestrator but I have yet to hear something from Desplat that comes even close to ANYTHING Williams has written. Even those smaller, more intimate Williams scores you mentioned are light years ahead of anything Desplat has done.

Again, I think Desplat has the talent I just find him to be far too restrained... again, not everything has to be in your face or noticeable... but I still feel like Desplat's in a shell and doesn't really want to come out and stretch his wings. Now, he does let loose once or twice, here and there and it's truly remarkable to listen to but then he closes up again and continues to plod along.

Desplat has been and continues to be an incredibly frustrating composer for me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. And for me... he's one of a few that actually is worth keeping up to date with. The 'spreading the wings' thing is a sensibility thing though. It does amaze me that he's made it as far as he has in American film, although I think he'll always be an odd fit in a blockbuster. The smaller-budget dramas/comedies feel like his stomping ground, and French films will nearly always get the best of him (since they tend to be filmmakers for whom that restraint is what they want from their music).

(And oh dear - did someone just suggest Stanley and Iris trumps Desplat's whole catalogue? Call me Katharine!)
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    fommes wrote

Depending on your point of view, Williams and Goldsmith never reached the shoes of Herrmann, Korngold and Steiner... They in turn never touched Wagner, Mahler and Beethoven, and those guys fell short of Bach and Mozart, so... you know...

One thing we can be grateful to Desplat for is that he's given a third road in arthouse scoring. Those with such films don't just have to go with either the Thomas Newman sound or the Philip Glass sound now.