• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Based off of those 30-second clips, I think it sounds great...but that surprises no one here, right? wink

Exactly. By the way, I've notice a theme in Oblivate, At The Burrow, Ron Leaves, Ron's Speech and Farewell To D.... I loved the theme for the Lovegoods. Too bad didn't heard Desplat's rendition of Hedwig's theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Desplat is the reason i am for once interested in the Harry crapper franchise :0

*brings out the whips and chains*

We're in for an S&M partyy?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ladies - Ralph and Erik - can't you go duke it out in Christopher Gordon's thread, and at least in that way draw attention to an overlooked composer. wink

EDIT - Oh, I see you found some common ground.

Given our history, I think we´re having a nice talk. I am really interested in Erik´s opinion here, because, after all, he DOES know his scores. We had a lot of good talks in the past, about Williams´ action music, for example, and I sincerely hope we will have them in the future, too. This specific discussion was the result of an obviously wrong presumption based on more recent comments, but I am really interested in Erik´s opinions regarding the matter, as I said, because one thing´s for sure - he knows what he´s talking about. I may not always like the way he expresses his opinion, but I appreciate his passion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    beer

Much appreciated, Ralph. I'm glad that we were able to have a mature conversation without ripping each others heads off. Let's hope this new trend continues.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    You would rate Doyle´s approach higher than Philosopher´s Stone? shocked

First of all, let me apologize for bringing Williams and Doyle into the Desplat thread. But since Desplat is scoring a Harry Potter film I think what we are talking about is relevant.

Williams' over scored Philosopher's Stone. It's not a very good film score. It might be an okay listen on CD (those themes are bloody brilliant) but as a functioning film score it's terrible. Williams relied too much on "Hedwig's Theme" early on in the picture and I can never forgive him for the "Ludlow's Demise" quotes in "Quidditch Match," which is a dull, uninspired action cue.

There are highlights, though. Like I said the new themes are incredible and "The Chess Game" cue is especially well done but overall it's Williams wallpapering the film with endless music when a bit more restraint would have benefited both the film and score.

Now, if you want to talk about Chamber of Secrets... now that is quite an accomplishment. Some more thoughts about Chamber HERE!

As for Azkaban... it's a masterpiece. The best score of the series. Tough to beat!

Getting to Doyle... I think he picked up where Williams left off. As we progress though the series the stories get darker and more mature... less Disney like as you say. Doyle realized, like Williams, that themes are important so in addition to quoting Williams' "Hedwig's Theme" he also comes up with some new, stunning themes of his own that at times rivals Williams own new themes from Azkaban. "Harry in Winter" is a heart breaker. So is "Hogwart's Hymn." Doyle's action music is exciting... there's a bit too much of the brass in the high register (those screeching trumpets in "Golden Egg" and in subsequent Doyle epic scores can be grating) but they fit the action on screen perfectly, IMHO.

Two cues that rarely gets mentioned are the eerie and dark "The Dark Mark" and"The Black Lane." Two exciting cues that show cases Doyle excellent sense of drama, excitment and creativity. The heroic fanfare heard at the end of "The Black Lake" gives me goosebumps. The build up is exquisite.

I really like the "Voldermort" cue but I think Doyle made a BIG mistake by not quoting Williams' superb three-note "Voldermort" motif from Philosopher's Stone. Oh what Williams would have done with this scene...

From an emotional stand point Doyle comes out on top of Philosopher's Stone with "Death of Cedric." Now that we look back at the film we are pleased as punch that the flamboyant vampire from the Twilight series eats it... but all joking aside... "Death of Cedric" is an incredibly moving scene in the film and Doyle writes a powerful string elegy that only a handful of composers are able to do. Superb stuff!

So, as with Philosopher's Stone, Goblet has a plethora of themes but has more dramatic weight to it. Now, do I fault Williams for scoring a turd of the film and Doyle getting one of the best in the series... no. The biggest issue I have with Williams' first score is that he over scored the movie. But then again, Columbus' film was a drag and maybe Williams was trying to help propel it forward. IMHO, it didn't work and actual hurt the film even more.

Ugh... even for me, that's too much of an analysis. Sucks the fun out of listen to this stuff. Why can't we just say "That score sucks" and move on. wink Or at least let me continue to use the vomit emoticon.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    what exactly are you waiting for him to show us? Can you name a specific... any kind of score you would like to get from him? Compared to anything that comes to your mind?

Desplat is a very restrained film composer. I can't fault him for that because at times I wish other composers would follow suit but I just find that he is a composer that doesn't really want to take the spotlight. He doesn't want to push the boundaries. He is very comfortable being the type of film composer where as you watch the film you don't notice the score yet subconsciously you do. Again, that's not really a fault but I'm trying to imagine how he would have scored something like "Buckbeak's Flights" from Azkaban. Would he have gone full tilt like Williams and delivered one of the series greatest cues or be taken back and scored it in a more retained and less in your face fashion. Personally, I like it when a score can soar and take centre stage... but in small doses or at least spread out across the film.

Look, I don't think any of that above makes any sense so I will just restate that I find the majority of Desplat's output to be technically beautful but cold on an emotional level.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Good post!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Very interesting post, indeed, and thanks for your detailed answer.

Erik Woods wrote
    I'm glad that we were able to have a mature conversation without ripping each others heads off. Let's hope this new trend continues.

If I can help with it, I´ll try. wink

Williams' over scored Philosopher's Stone. It's not a very good film score. It might be an okay listen on CD (those themes are bloody brilliant) but as a functioning film score it's terrible. Williams relied too much on "Hedwig's Theme" early on in the picture

You´re right, of course. It gets repetitive quite early, which is a shame, because it IS a beautiful theme.

I can never forgive him for the "Ludlow's Demise" quotes in "Quidditch Match," which is a dull, uninspired action cue.
    I never got too deep into The Lost World, so I didn´t know that. I think it´s a great track, but I can understand if you feel bad about it.

There are highlights, though. Like I said the new themes are incredible and "The Chess Game" cue is especially well done

I must say I adore the more quiet moments, e.g. the very contained nature of the Erised scene´s score, but the chess track is excellent, indeed.

overall it's Williams wallpapering the film with endless music when a bit more restraint would have benefited both the film and score.
    I never thought about the "overscored" aspect, but you´re probably right. Anyway, the first Potter movie was a big event for everyone, and I can understand why Williams did what he did. It makes a fine score on CD, at least. ^^ But I agree that it´s certainly not the best in the series.

Now, if you want to talk about Chamber of Secrets... now that is quite an accomplishment. Some more thoughts about Chamber HERE!

Not right now, because I´m a bit short on time this evening, but I will have a look later. I love the new themes, even if Fawkes adds to the Disney feeling, but the Chamber theme is as excellent as a dark Williams theme can get. I think.

As for Azkaban... it's a masterpiece. The best score of the series. Tough to beat!

Indeed. Let´s continue.

Getting to Doyle... I think he picked up where Williams left off.

Oh, if only he would have. I have been through the score maybe half a dozen times, and I can not make out what gets people excited about it.

As we progress though the series the stories get darker and more mature... less Disney like as you say. Doyle realized, like Williams, that themes are important so in addition to quoting Williams' "Hedwig's Theme" he also comes up with some new, stunning themes of his own that at times rivals Williams own new themes from Azkaban. "Harry in Winter" is a heart breaker.

There is exactly one thing I like, and that´s "Harry in Winter". But even this one gets very repetitive during first listen already, and it is a new theme for a thing we already had two brilliant themes for, Harry´s family (I already liked the Erised variant, as I mentioned above, but of course, "A Window to the Past" is just hauntingly perfect). When "Harry in Winter" appears during the duel against Voldemort, it is a wonderful moment for the score, probably the best, but I would have given an arm or two (or not) if "Window to the Past" had been used there. Doyle´s score represents what´s worst about the series scores, their inabilty to keep a continuity in the themes, beside the casual, almost forced use of "Hedwig´s Theme". Every composer wrote new themes, which is understandable from the composer´s point of view, but what an epic could we have got if Williams had stayed during the whole series. Maybe Doyle is just a victim of being the first to break the line, but I have my problems with his style anyway, so I may overreact to his score, but I find Hooper´s scores indefinitely better, especially Half Blood Prince.

So is "Hogwart's Hymn."

I like it, but it reminds me too much of Henry V to really stand on its own feet.

Doyle's action music is exciting... there's a bit too much of the brass in the high register (those screeching trumpets in "Golden Egg" and in subsequent Doyle epic scores can be grating) but they fit the action on screen perfectly, IMHO.

I really do not like his action scoring most of the time; there are only a couple of exceptions, but this is not one of them.

Two cues that rarely gets mentioned are the eerie and dark "The Dark Mark" and"The Black Lane." Two exciting cues that show cases Doyle excellent sense of drama, excitment and creativity. The heroic fanfare heard at the end of "The Black Lake" gives me goosebumps. The build up is exquisite.

The moody atmosphere is fitting, but exciting is not the word I would use.

I really like the "Voldermort" cue but I think Doyle made a BIG mistake by not quoting Williams' superb three-note "Voldermort" motif from Philosopher's Stone. Oh what Williams would have done with this scene...

Indeed.

From an emotional stand point Doyle comes out on top of Philosopher's Stone with "Death of Cedric." Now that we look back at the film we are pleased as punch that the flamboyant vampire from the Twilight series eats it... but all joking aside... "Death of Cedric" is an incredibly moving scene in the film and Doyle writes a powerful string elegy that only a handful of composers are able to do. Superb stuff!

I am not sure whether I don´t like the score because of itself or because I didn´t like the book or the movie too much, either. It might be that I´m prejudiced here. It´s not that I don´t like Doyle at all. He has his moments of greatness. But I really have problems digging Goblet of Fire as a whole, and so the emotional impact of scenes like Cedric´s death is lessened to a point where I don´t really care.

So, as with Philosopher's Stone, Goblet has a plethora of themes but has more dramatic weight to it. Now, do I fault Williams for scoring a turd of the film and Doyle getting one of the best in the series... no. The biggest issue I have with Williams' first score is that he over scored the movie. But then again, Columbus' film was a drag and maybe Williams was trying to help propel it forward. IMHO, it didn't work and actual hurt the film even more.

Ugh... even for me, that's too much of an analysis. Sucks the fun out of listen to this stuff. Why can't we just say "That score sucks" and move on. wink Or at least let me continue to use the vomit emoticon.

Well, I really appreciated your effort to write an analysis. You may now continue to vomit if you prefer that. If I need more insight into something, I´ll just yell at you again. wink

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    what exactly are you waiting for him to show us? Can you name a specific... any kind of score you would like to get from him? Compared to anything that comes to your mind?

Desplat is a very restrained film composer. I can't fault him for that because at times I wish other composers would follow suit but I just find that he is a composer that doesn't really want to take the spotlight. He doesn't want to push the boundaries. He is very comfortable being the type of film composer where as you watch the film you don't notice the score yet subconsciously you do. Again, that's not really a fault but I'm trying to imagine how he would have scored something like "Buckbeak's Flights" from Azkaban. Would he have gone full tilt like Williams and delivered one of the series greatest cues or be taken back and scored it in a more retained and less in your face fashion. Personally, I like it when a score can soar and take centre stage... but in small doses or at least spread out across the film.

Very interesting. I think he has one or two very soaring moments in The Golden Compass, but you need to be really familiar with the score to get it. It´s the theme for the witches, which is heard only once or twice during the movie, and very restrained, but takes full "soaring mode" during the final battle when the witches arrive to save the day. I get goosebumps from listening to that every time. If you listen to that track really loud, I think you will find some of what you´re looking for, but I can understand that, so late in the movie and score, you´re way beyond caring then. And it´s not as straight into the face as "Buckbeak" is, that´s for sure, but I find it to be equally uplifting.

But now that I know what exactly you´re looking for, let me tell you that I hope for more stuff like that, too. Because this is certainly one of the greatest aspects of a great score, soaring themes that carry you across whatever abyss you have to cross on a given day.

Look, I don't think any of that above makes any sense so I will just restate that I find the majority of Desplat's output to be technically beautful but cold on an emotional level.

I thought it made a lot of sense. And I think I get where you get the "cold" feeling from, at least parts of it. Desplat isn´t really one for a nice, happy tune. I think a lot of his scores are actually quite depressing, which might be an aspect that leads to distancing yourself from it.

Anyway, thanks for your comment. Looking much forward to the complete score and the continuing analysis. Maybe I won´t yell at all. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    Scores, as film music's original meaning, aren't supposed to take the center stage and stand out as independently as film music lovers would love to; proper film music is actually supposed to do exactly what Desplat's music does as Erik describes it here:

3. A small behind the scenes video, of Deathly Hallows's score:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/10/ … ows-music/
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scores, as film music's original meaning, aren't supposed to take the center stage and stand out as independently as film music lovers would love to; proper film music is actually supposed to do exactly what Desplat's music does as Erik describes it here:

I call phewy to that. My first and strongest example would be Jaws! 'nuff said!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. I think he can take centre stage (Birth, The Queen, The Painted Veil, Upside of Anger, Hostage, parts of Coco and Cheri -- all very showy scores), but there is a bit of a bias in most of the films he does where you've got to be more discrete than usual, or the director won't like it. I just think it's such a step up from the sort of discrete Thomas Newman ambience most of those films were getting - or Santaolalla's beautiful but limited palette - that even Desplat's most discrete arthouse scores are very expressive & composed in comparison.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010 edited
    Exactly, Michael, i am very curious as to what Erik would think of his smaller, more obscure scores wink

Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I call phewy to that. My first and strongest example would be Jaws! 'nuff said!

-Erik-

I am not saying i necessarily agree (i don't, i am with you, i believe in the power of music to take the main role and elevate narrative and visuals); it's what many academics of film / film music say in their writings, essays and book suggestions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010 edited
    Do these academics also suggest what scores we should listen to?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They advice we shouldn't really listen to scores but classical music instead wink
  5. Steven wrote
    Do these academics also suggest what scores we should listen to?

Touche, but on point. We are here, after all, to have a good time. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010 edited
    Even MORE score samples of Deathly Hallows:

http://deathlyhallowssoundtrack.com/

And despite the track listing for the bonus disc, it doesn't feature samples for those. But almost every track for the OST release features a different sample (as opposed to repeating it verbatim from Amazon UK).
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010 edited
    Edit.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010
    I give it a reluctant 3 out of 5. High marks for colourful orchestrations and a few genuinely emotional and exciting moments. "Farewell To Dobby" is really good! But there are no real themes to speak of and the score is scatter brained. There's no real dramatic arc to the music. It's just... there... with nothing really to say.

-Erik-
  6. KevinSmith wrote
    Well, Filmtracks has suggested a weak four star rating and MMUK has given a five star rating (but Broxton's five star ratings have the credibility of ditch water sometimes).

Broxton is an unabashed fan of Desplat, so if he's head-over-heels in love with Deathly Hallows, chances are good that I'll love it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    I give it a reluctant 3 out of 5. High marks for colourful orchestrations and a few genuinely emotional and exciting moments. "Farewell To Dobby" is really good! But there are no real themes to speak of and the score is scatter brained. There's no real dramatic arc to the music. It's just... there... with nothing really to say.

-Erik-

No themes? That's NOT good to hear, for a film like this. Maybe they're hard to trace? Or indeed absent?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010
    Consider who's talking, and his known beliefs on what constitutes a "theme."
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

No themes? That's NOT good to hear, for a film like this. Maybe they're hard to trace? Or indeed absent?

I listened to 13 tracks of the score. I've noted six themes so far. Two played in Oblivate, At The Burrow, The Will, Death Eaters, Dobby and Fireplaces Escape.

The third (a new Voldemort theme) in Snape To Malfoy Manor, Sky Battle, Death Eaters and The Locket. A fourth theme (for the Order of the Phoenix) in Polyjuice Potion and At The Burrow. The fifth (Harry and Ginny's new love theme) in Harry and Ginny.

And a sixth theme for Dobby in Dobby.

And in Sky Battle there's a reference of Williams's Voldemort theme in 2:15 mark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm talking about THEMES... like Hedwig's, Fawkes, etc. Those that you describe are little motifs that in all honesty pass without much notice. Even the guy who is championing this score the most agrees with me...

"Possibly the only negative thing about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the lack of a single, identifying theme for the film in itself. Whereas Sorcerer’s Stone had a multitude of themes, Chamber of Secrets had “Fawkes the Phoenix”, Prisoner of Azkaban had “Window to the Past”, Goblet of Fire had “Harry in Winter”, and so on and so on, Deathly Hallows is a little on the anonymous side in terms of thematic memorability. Even Hedwig’s Theme, the singular defining musical motif of the entire series, features briefly in just three cues: “Polyjuice Potion”, “Sky Battle” and “The Will”, despite Desplat’s claim that he tried to incorporate the theme at regular intervals. Desplat’s musical ideas are all excellent, but none of them ever rise to the fore in the way one might have expected: this is a score of very good underscore, but you’re not going to hear it as a concert suite, and cinema-goers aren’t going to leave the theater whistling the main theme."

http://moviemusicuk.us/2010/10/28/harry … #more-1518

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010 edited
    KevinSmith wrote
    Well, Filmtracks has suggested a weak four star rating and MMUK has given a five star rating (but Broxton's five star ratings have the credibility of ditch water sometimes).

Stay classy, dude. Especially since I've only given out seven 5-star ratings since 2005. But don't let anything as trivial as facts keep you from mouthing off...
  8. But, to follow on from what Erik is saying, he's absolutely right. There is no single, prominent main theme in the way that we had Hedwig's Theme or Fawkes the Phoenix or Window to the Past or Harry in Winter. There are certainly several *motifs* that recur throughout the score, but nothing that will be immediately recognizable to the general public in the same way.

Personally, I don't feel that this is much of a problem, because the underscore is so good, and this is where Erik and I differ: I like the underscore much more than he does.

But in terms of a factual statement, Erik is right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jon - To be totally fair to Desplat I'm going to leave my final judgment when I see the movie. I'm pretty sure it will be a serviceable score... and since I haven't read the book I have no idea what to expect... so Desplat's minimal, less thematic, more atmospheric, more textured approach might be the RIGHT approach. But as a stand alone listen without anything to match the music up to I'm not that impressed. It doesn't hold my attention for the entire 74 minute playing time. Maybe a shorter running time would have yielded better results.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    None of the clips did anything for me either. It seems like Desplat has a tendency to use this ostinato thing whenever he's depicting action - like if you pulled out the bass line of a Zimmer composition, but removed the interesting melodies and soundscapes around it. I heard the same thing in FIREWALL too.

Personally, if you're a symphonist going the classical, symphonic route (which Desplat himself has said he does - judging by his stated inspirations), I think it requires to be a bit more exciting than that....a pronounced theme, some orchestral textures that really make you go "wow", greater dynamic range in the orchestra and so on.

Like Erik (and others), I'll wait untill I hear the whole thing and untill I see the film, but if one is allowed a little bit of value judgement based on those clips alone, I'd say that this is definitely not the score that will warm me to the Frenchman.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    ... like if you pulled out the bass line of a Zimmer composition, but removed the interesting melodies and soundscapes around it.

Ok, now for it's premiere statement in 2010, we've waited a while but here it is:

DE(SPL)ATH IS TOO GOOD, FAR TOO GOOD, FOR THIS NORWEGIAN.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    It's interesting reading your comments but I think I want to listen for myself and form an opinion and then watch the film, as Erik correctly said, and re form my opinion if need be. But... I don't believe that something that Desplat wrote won't appeal to me! What can I say! I love the guy's music! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  10. Stavroula wrote
    It's interesting reading your comments but I think I want to listen for myself and form an opinion and then watch the film, as Erik correctly said, and re form my opinion if need be. But... I don't believe that something that Dasplat wrote won't appeal to me! What can I say! I love the guy's music! smile

It's weird because I got three Desplat scores (Julie & Julia, Hostage, The Ghost Writer) and this one was better than expected. Williams's themes aside, this score is faithful to the story of the book. And yes, Desplat could have used more Williams's themes but the ones written by Desplat are wonderful (the 4 notes motif and Lovegood's theme it's catchy).

I think that this is a love or hate score. Several people are going to hate it because it's barely sounds like a Harry Potter score, and barely resembles Williams's music. And it's going to be loved because it's the most mature Harry Potter I've heard. And thoses new instruments gives the saga a new sound that fits in the darkness that threat the magic Harry Potter world.

For me, it's my favorite Harry Potter score, besides Prisoner of Azkaban. And my favorite Desplat score. I can't wait anymore for the film.