• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011
    Bregt wrote
    I saw Tree of Life. I loved it! I was a bit sceptic because I didn't like The New World and also TTRL was a hard nut, but this one grabbed me instantly (except for the last few minutes perhaps). It's dreamy and hopeful, but the unease that I told about that I thought was in the music, is here as well. It's a festivity of light, images and music.

CAN'T WAIT!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011
    The film still doesn't even have a release date in the UK! crazy
  1. Marselus wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I saw Tree of Life. I loved it! I was a bit sceptic because I didn't like The New World and also TTRL was a hard nut, but this one grabbed me instantly (except for the last few minutes perhaps). It's dreamy and hopeful, but the unease that I told about that I thought was in the music, is here as well. It's a festivity of light, images and music.

CAN'T WAIT!

Indeed, that's a nice recommendation. I like the lady who wanted to crash her car too. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Bregt wrote

CAN'T WAIT!

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011 edited
    I listened to the score yesterday, in bed before sleeping, and it kept the atmosphere of the movie going. It really is the score of that film, but it wasn't used. Whereas The New World didn't feel like that though, but that's an excellent album on itself too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011
    Funeral Canticle
    Written by John Tavener and Mother Thekla

Malick uses a section (starting from 2:25) of this piece a few times. In the opening scene it's absolutely beautiful in combination with the visuals. The smooth movements of the camera, no words, the light, ... love

Lacrimosa 2
    Written by Zbigniew Preisner

Also used with stunning effect (a bit odd he turns the volume down near the end to make place for complete silence (a great moment shocked ) in the first half hour, [spoiler]with the now infamous scene of the creation of the universe[/spoiler]. It's spectacular!
    Kazoo
  2. Nice to see a film that makes an impact on someone. It feels like there's a lot out there these days that will never do that. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2011 edited
    It's a movie that on an other moment could have failed to impress me I think. If you know what I mean. wink

I'm constructing a playlist of the music on Grooveshark. Half of it is not there apparently.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2011
    Tavener and Preisner? A man who knows his music for sure, this Mallick dude. But why does he ever employee original film score composers?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Just finished recording with Alexandre Desplat and the London Symphony Orchestra the last of the Harry Potter scores at Abbey Road.

It's been over 10 years since I worked with John Neufeld on John Williams' trailer for the first film. Five films (for me at least) and hundreds of thousands of notes later, it's finally over. Hard to grasp. Back to Los Angeles soon.
  4. Conrad Pope says!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Conrad Pope says!

Yeah.

And this is what his wife says on her Tumblr:

For the next 10 days I’m in London, England, in the dual capacities of wife and composer.
    As a wife, I’m here to offer comfort and companionship to my husband Conrad Pope, who’s orchestrating the music for “Harry Potter And the Deathly Hallows, Part II.” Conrad is under a big deadline writing lots of notes for this action film, and has now been sequestered in his hotel room for a month.

Sounds like the score is massive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2011
    They said that same sort of stuff when Part I was being written and look how that turned out. I'll give you a hint. The opposite of good.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Excuse me, but Part 1's score wasn't played by a solo violin and synths. 90 % of the score had a full orchestra playing (Desplat wrote the score during a period of three months).

And that was for Part 1 which it was a road movie with very few action scenes (where Desplat's music was big and Williams-esque). Part 2 is going to be action packed, with few moments of relief.
  7. Oh Erik, you can be so bad!

It is amazing how media people can hype up a project before it is out. And then you find it is actually utter crap. I am not saying this is the thing in this case, just an observation generally.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Also, this is the end of the biggest movie phenomenon of the last years. Everyone from the cast and crew did their best effort to make something incredible, and Desplat ain't going to be the exception.
  9. http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/interv … re-desplat

How do you differentiate yourself every time making a new score? Do you ever re-listen to some of your past scores again?

Desplat: Never. I never listen back. I hate it. I find everything awful and really miserable.

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

I love that he mentions the use of shakuhachi in DH Part 1, and about people criticizing his scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2011
    Excellent interview, thanks for posting that. It seems he may actually have been unaware of how little of his music was in The Tree of Life at the time?
  10. Southall wrote
    Excellent interview, thanks for posting that. It seems he may actually have been unaware of how little of his music was in The Tree of Life at the time?

It seems like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2011
    Great interview. Especially liked his response to the last question -

I try not to be to... I always try to... Even the painful ones I try to understand and make it into a positive thing. You know, understand that maybe there is something I could... there's maybe something right even if it's wrong. If it resonates that way for someone, then that may be something to think about. I can be humbled always. And the great masters I've met from David Raksin to Henry Mancini, and Maurice Jarre, they were very humble. So I would be stupid to not be that way, too.

yeah
  11. Southall wrote

I can imagine after that question about the organ music he was thinking -- 'what organ music? i didn't write any organ music? perhaps my english is too poor to understand this question...'

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011 edited
    Well, he follows it with:

Sometimes it's stupid because they say stupid things. Like you read that it's a great scene, people love your music in the scene in Birth when Nicole Kidman is at the opera and she is listening to Wagner and people think it's my music. It's certainly embarrassing. I like that people think I write as good as Wagner, but... it's part of the game.

So that might be a hint towards the interviewer wink
  12. I gather this is a description of the curious string solo at the centre of the 'Good and Evil' track:

The violin played by Dominique here, this piece with the violin is very strange; a several multi-track violin piece. It is also very special, very unique. I never did that before in a film.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    They said that same sort of stuff when Part I was being written and look how that turned out. I'll give you a hint. The opposite of good.

-Erik-

Please stop criticizing Part 1's music. We know you don't like it, you keep saying it ever since last October (even putting it in the same league with Nicholas Hooper's)... so let's move on. I don't like some of your favorites too, so let's call it even. I'm sick of this -- Desplat isn't going to measure up to your stratospheric expectations no matter how good his Part 2 score is.

Speaking of which, Desplat's CD album for Part 2 is available for preorder from Amazon. It debuts July 12th.

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Deat … amp;sr=1-1
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  13. Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Please stop criticizing Part 1's music. We know you don't like it, you keep saying it ever since last October (even putting it in the same league with Nicholas Hooper's)... so let's move on. I don't like some of your favorites too, so let's call it even. I'm sick of this -- Desplat isn't going to measure up to your stratospheric expectations no matter how good his Part 2 score is.

Speaking of which, Desplat's CD album for Part 2 is available for preorder from Amazon. It debuts July 12th.

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Deat … amp;sr=1-1

I agree! God, it's very annoying. I'm sure that no matter how good Part 2's score will be, this people still is going to bashing it, because for them ,Williams is the only good Potter composer. Besides, it's his fault for leaving Harry Potter.

I'm glad that the score for the final film is made by a composer who knows and loves Harry Potter, and has read all the books, watched all the films and listened all the scores, and made a score which is faithful to the spirit of the book and film. Williams barely knew the story, he thought that Fawkes was the name of the hippogriff from Prisoner of Azkaban.

This doesn't mean that I wouldn't loved to see Williams back. I would love it, and very much. Especially because he needed to end what he started. But he never tried to coming back.
  14. Hey guys, as long as they're talking about Desplat, it's a fair thing. Much better than that epic diversion about hard drives recently...
  15. franz_conrad wrote
    Hey guys, as long as they're talking about Desplat, it's a fair thing. Much better than that epic diversion about hard drives recently...

Lol. Talking about Desplat, I've watched Largo WInch 2. I agree that part 2's score ain't as good as the first one, but totally fits into the second film, especially the subtle and dramatic cues. The Malunai theme is lovely (though sounds like a mix between "Largo's childhood" theme from the first score, and Dumbledore's theme from DH).

Unfortunely they tracked music from the first film into the second one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited
    Just in case people missed it...

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash
    flash ALEXANDRE DESPLAT'S MUSIC TO HARRY POTTER 7 PT.1 IS NO GOOD!flash
    flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited
    yonythemoony wrote
    I agree! God, it's very annoying. I'm sure that no matter how good Part 2's score will be, this people still is going to bashing it, because for them ,Williams is the only good Potter composer.

I'm going in with an open mind like I did with the first. I don't care who composes the score... if it sucks then it sucks. But if it's great then I will be more then happy to praise it. By the way, Williams wasn't the only one to write a dynamite Potter score. Doyle's is excellent and I consider it better than Philosopher's Stone.

yonythemoony wrote
    Besides, it's his fault for leaving Harry Potter.

Ummm... no it wasn't. Mike Newell's had worked with Patrick Doyle before and wanted him to score Goblet of Fire.

yonythemoony wrote
    I'm glad that the score for the final film is made by a composer who knows and loves Harry Potter, and has read all the books, watched all the films and listened all the scores, and made a score which is faithful to the spirit of the book and film. Williams barely knew the story, he thought that Fawkes was the name of the hippogriff from Prisoner of Azkaban.

Reading the books is irrelevant. He is scoring the film not the book. Did you know that the director of the best Star Trek film (The Wrath of Khan) had never seen an episode of Star Trek. So I don't care if Desplat knows the books inside and out.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011
    I'm with Erik & co. Disliked the Hoopers, disliked the Desplat.
    I am extremely serious.