• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I finally saw The Tree of Life tonight and I absolutely loved it. Regarding the music, as much as I love Desplat and his score for this film, I felt that the pieces that Malick chose for the soundtrack were perfect as is. It's probably the best musical soundtrack I've ever heard for a film.

Now begins the laborious task of searching for and downloading every piece in the film... slant

I loved the film too but i thought that if he took the effort to actually edit the score into the movie properly, it would have the same great effect as with the source music he simply dropped in. Anyway, does anyone have a gathered copy of all the source music used in the film ? a rar perhaps? angelic
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. What you describe is certainly there to be found, Demetris.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed. You just need to know where to look.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … t/#Item_22
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    I'm disappointed in Desplat's score for Deathly Hallows: Part 2. There is some beautiful music, but the soundtrack is hit with temp-track syndrome. For every track as beautiful as "Dragon Flight", "Severus and Lily" and "Harry's Sacrifice" there are disappointing efforts like "Courtyard Apocalypse" and "Neville the Hero."

The music may work gangbusters in the final film, but this is a let down compared to Part 1.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I'm not surprised since the action music in part one was weaker than the quieter moments, and this film seems like it is mainly action.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I actually think the Part 1 action music is pretty damn good, and there was plenty of variety. But Part 2 just feels disjointed and uninspired.

Desplat is capable of so much more. I wish David Yates and the producers were allergic to temp-tracks.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    The "Abbey Road" album from "Fantastic Mr Fox", available at Qobuz but limited to France, is now slightly cheaper for a few days.

Do we have any French members on here that are also Desplat fans? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011 edited
    I just came back from the press screening of HP7, and I was quite impressed. I was too old to ever connect properly to the story (I was 23 when the first film came out), but I've seen them all and found pleasure in the filmatic elements. And of course, you'd have to be a pretty tough nail NOT to like the universe, characters. It speaks to the child in all of us.

Anyways, while the film seemed a bit rushed at times (trying to nail all the pivotal moments of the novel, I'm sure), it felt complete and satisfying as a conclusion. There was one scene, in particular (a montage/flashback of sorts) that was genuinely moving. And of course, things are wrapped up neatly in the end, although I didn't really buy [spoiler]the make-up of the main cast as 40-year olds[/spoiler]. I think it's the best film in the series after ORDER OF THE PHOENIX.

I've never been a big fan of Desplat, and this didn't win me over either. Far too many of those rumbling ostinatos in the action sequences that go nowhere. However, there were a couple of nice moments, including a flight scene where he got to soar a bit. Also, the Williams themes are more present this time. Hedwig's Theme appears at a couple of crucial moments related to Harry Potter, and there are bits of his original Hogwarts material too. I loved that, gave me the chills!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011
    In 2004 when Hans Zimmer wrote King Arthur I thought that I would like to hear more of those ostinatos in action music because they sounded so cool.

I regret wishing that now. slant

When they are done well and with unique construction like Tron Legacy, they are still cool, but when every single action score sounds like Batman Begins, crazy
  2. If someone hasn't read any of the books are the track titles on the final CD a bit of a giveaway regards plot?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011
    Yes.
  3. I thought so! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. At least we know we can blame Scribe for the overuse of ostinati in modern film scoring. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011
    Nice review, Thor. I've been wanting to see the film on Friday, but got these confounded exams right then. I liked the score on album so far, though the ending is a little disappointing.

And glad I'm not the only one who likes the Order Of The Phoenix film! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DemonStar wrote
    Nice review, Thor. I've been wanting to see the film on Friday, but got these confounded exams right then. I liked the score on album so far, though the ending is a little disappointing.

And glad I'm not the only one who likes the Order Of The Phoenix film! biggrin

The climax of that film is the greatest yet, even greater than the one in the last one, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. And Luna Lovegood was much more important than in the last film (stupid Steve Kloves).

I think that the music gained much more in the film, there's some themes which didn't played in the CD, like the Deathly Hallows and Dumbledore's themes. The Hogwarts theme sounds very MV-esque but it's memorable in the film. Lily's theme works perfectly as a main theme in the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    yonythemoony wrote
    And Luna Lovegood was much more important than in the last film (stupid Steve Kloves).

I think that the music gained much more in the film, there's some themes which didn't played in the CD, like the Deathly Hallows and Dumbledore's themes. The Hogwarts theme sounds very MV-esque but it's memorable in the film. Lily's theme works perfectly as a main theme in the score.

MV-esque?!?

I certainly didn't hear anything of the sort myself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Sometimes anything bold and brassy sounds MV-ish now. Because that's how they write all their themes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011
    Thor wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    And Luna Lovegood was much more important than in the last film (stupid Steve Kloves).

MV-esque?!?

Thank fuck for that!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011
    Aren't the ostinato harmonic bases MV/RC-ish? I haven't heard the new score but certainly in Part 1 in tracks like the opening track "Obliviate" the ostinatos are used in a very Batman/Inception way, I thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011
    I finally got round to reviewing The Tree of Life. Longer than usual, but still I feel there is much I couldn't quite find the words to say.

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=1698
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011
    Excellent review! Can't wait to hear this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011
    The Tree of Life is one of the very best film scores written this year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is, indeed. Takes a loonnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg (no pun) time to settle in with you, but when observed along with the movie it accompanies, the both make for one of the most impressive experiences overall.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. Southall wrote
    I finally got round to reviewing The Tree of Life. Longer than usual, but still I feel there is much I couldn't quite find the words to say.

A great score deserves an in-depth review. Like the Filmtracks review of Avatar...
  7. Just a thought. How can it have an in-depth review when hardly any of it features in the film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote

A great score deserves an in-depth review. Like the Filmtracks review of Avatar...

Even my review of that one is pretty in-depth!
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just a thought. How can it have an in-depth review when hardly any of it features in the film?

Well, there's something to talk about right off the bat! wink
    Just talk about the music, rather than how it gets used in the film.
  9. Thor wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

MV-esque?!?

The string ostinato which is part of the Hogwarts theme, played in Panic Inside Hogwarts, Statues, The Grey Lady, Courtyard Apocalypse. It has a Zimmer vibe, but still sounds fresh. Especially how Desplat adapted in The Resurrection Stone and A New Beginning.