• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011
    I just bought both of Mr. Desplat's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows scores; I must say, my only exposure to his music prior to these scores was Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (which I really loved). He's quickly becoming one of my favorite film composers! Does anyone have any suggestions of other good scores of his?
  1. Largo Winch, Julie & Julia, New Moon (I hate Twilight but the score is lovely), The Ghost Writer and A Better Life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thanks!
  2. No problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011 edited
    In response to William's request for recommendations:

Having absorbed just about every Desplat score released in the last half-dozen years or so, I still haven't come across one that I didn't like; I think he brings both palatable emotion and intellectual prowess to the table. But like every film composer, he has his weaker and stronger works. Here are some of my favorites; not all of them are necessarily among his BEST, but these are among the ones I return to most frequently. In alphabetical order...

Girl with a Pearl Earring - lush and gorgeous all the way through; you can definitely feel the underlying emotions and desires inherent to the story.

Julie & Julia - I wouldn't say this is among Desplat's best, but its effortless charm quickly won me over. Desplat approaches the material with the lightest of touches; the orchestrations are deft and glide along with crystalline precision.

Largo Winch - Desplat in action mode. This score offers some of the most light-footed, intelligent action music I've heard in a long time. I don't find myself returning often to hear the rest of the score; it's the action material that stands out.

Lust, Caution - a score with gorgeous melodies as well as a mysterious, almost seedy side that is also quite compelling. The elegant "Dinner Waltz" and the emotionally affecting pair of "Falling Rain" and "Wong Chia Chi's Theme" (these latter two seem to have a current of tragedy running through them) are among my favorite tracks.

The Painted Veil - possibly my favorite Desplat score. It's subtly exotic, with an expansive main theme, and--for me at least--conveys tremendous emotionality. The irony is that Desplat's critics cite his almost clinically precise orchestrations and lack of overt emotional expression (in the sense of what we're accustomed to hearing in Hollywood films); but it's exactly this cautious, "veiled" approaching to emotion that gets the idea across so effectively for me. The feelings are there, and they're powerful; and in this score in particular, you can sense the tension of deeply-held emotions on the verge of bursting forth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I recommend Luzhin Defence and Golden Compass too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thanks, guys! I'll check them out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Golden Compass, I think, has the most touching and beautiful melodies he's written, it has an innocence and warmth that is not present in most of his work for adult films. So sad he doesn't get to finish the story...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm not a fan of Desplat's but I do have some favorites. Birth, Hostage, Coco Avant Chanel and The Ghost Writer are scores I would be more than happy to return to.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Do you not find that, when someone asks for recommendations for a specific composer, given enough time, every title is recommended? Making it all meaningless? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sometimes... but if you know what the persons personal preferences are then you can better judge their recommendations to fit your own preferences.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Sometimes... but if you know what the persons personal preferences are then you can better judge their recommendations to fit your own preferences.

-Erik-

yeah
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. I'm not a big fan of Desplat. I did enjoy Magorium and New Moon, though.
  6. I second The Painted Veil and my personal favorite from him, Lust, Caution. Also, look for L'Ennemi Intime and Inquietudes. Those two are bit more cathartic (to counter the ridiculous charge that his music is cold and sterile).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2011
    Not his music, just his usual recording method wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2011 edited
    That sucks, too... along with most of his music being cold and sterile! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I think his music just has a slightly different emotional heartbeat than most other film music...it's certainly different. But I find it extremely pleasant and charming now that I've warmed up to it.

I'm glad there are still guys that are allowed to have a strong musical personality!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    I'm glad there are still guys that are allowed to have a strong musical personality!

This I like!

-Erik-
  7. I ran a workshop yesterday on film music, and while our focus was mostly on short films and things you could do with small budgets, the subject did come up late in the day who my favourite current composer working was. I just played the first two minutes of Birth's 'Prologue' and left it at that. What was interesting was that while some of them knew him as a Harry Potter* or Twilight composer, very few were aware of his more usual sort of work.

One thing it reminded me of is that Desplat's music hasn't entered the general consciousness. All the work on art films in the end services a small audience.

* One things film score fans may take heart at was that this group of young filmmakers and composers mostly felt that the HP series hadn't musically been consistent enough. And that Prisoner of Azkaban stood out as the strongest work. And that was nice to hear.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011
    info on ALEXANDRE DESPLAT's "IDES OF MARCH" (2011, CD)

ALEXANDRE DESPLAT
    SETS MUSICAL POLITICAL TONE FOR
    IDES OF MARCH

SCORE AVAILABLE ON VARESE SARABANDE NOVEMBER 1ST

(LOS ANGELES, CA) Award-winning composer Alexandre Desplat scores Columbia Picture’s political thriller Ides of March, directed by George Clooney. The film marks the third time Desplat has scored a Clooney project, and the first time he has scored a Clooney directed film. Desplat’s other Clooney projects, Syriana and Fantastic Mr. Fox, earned the composer Golden Globe and Oscar® nominations. Desplat is fresh off scoring the summer blockbuster, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II and scales things back a bit in Ides of March, taking a darker tone for his insightful and revelatory look at the world of politics. Ides of March opens October 7th. Score album available on Varese Sarabande November 1st.

Ides of March is based on the Beau Willimon’s political thriller play “Farragut North.” During the frantic days before a heavily contested Ohio presidential primary, an up-and-coming campaign press secretary (Ryan Gosling) finds himself involved in a political scandal that threatens to upend his candidate’s shot at the presidency. Clooney also stars as the anointed candidate, and the supporting cast features Paul Giamatti, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Marisa Tomei, Jeffrey Wright, and Evan Rachel Wood.

Alexandre Desplat adds Clooney to an impressive roster of director collaborations which includes Roman Polanski (Ghost Writer), Terrence Malick (The Tree of Life), Stephen Frears (The Queen, Tamara Drewe), Jacques Audiard (The Prophet, The Beat that My Heart Skipped), David Yates (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts I and II), David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Nora Ephron (Julie & Julia), and Ang Lee (Lust, Caution).

Having scored over 60 films in his native France, Alexandre Desplat made his Hollywood breakthrough in 2003 with his stately score for Girl with a Pearl Earring, which garnered him a Golden Globe nomination. In 2011, his score for The King’s Speech won a BAFTA and received Oscar®, Golden Globe and Critics Choice nominations. Next up for Desplat is The Spider’s House which marks his second collaboration with director Peter Webber.

In addition to his film work, Alexandre Desplat has conducted the London Symphony Orchestra, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, The Czech Philharmonic, and he has given master classes at La Sorbonne in Paris and London’s Royal College of Music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2011
    http://www.amazon.com/Ides-March-Alexan … bsnr_42_45

Having seen the movie at the cinema last night i'd say that it's one of the most discreet and austere scores he's written. With some light jazzy and noir elements in it, he was serving the very strong political film with grace and respect, without intervening and drawing attention to the music; in essence of what film music really should be, it's one of the better works i've heard this year.
  8. He never sleeps? Eight proyects in a single year (excluding writing the main theme of My Weekend With Marilyn). But, better Desplat than Zimmer and his clones. Also, this movie could give him a nomination, since that everybody is talking about it as a big contender.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011
    It's just a theme, this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011
    NICO MUHLY no longer attached to the project; Desplat takes over.

Alexandre Desplat has been tapped to score the upcoming drama Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. He is taking over scoring duties from composer Nico Muhly who was originally attached to the project with his name even credited on the film’s poster and in the first trailer.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/10/22 … bly-close/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011
    New interview with Desplat: http://www.filmmusicsite.com/news.cgi?g … mp;lang=en
  9. Great interview, Desplat is very nice and humble. I love what he said about HP and Lily's Theme. You can notice that he puts some much effort in his scores. I loved what I heard from The Ides Of March.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011 edited
    yonythemoony wrote
    He never sleeps? Eight proyects in a single year (excluding writing the main theme of My Weekend With Marilyn). But, better Desplat than Zimmer and his clones.

How so? Some of Zimmer's "clones" have gone onto write some excellent material - Puss In Boots from Jackman is one example. Kung Fu Panda 2 (Powell, an MV "graduate.") While not everything Zimmer and his clones touched this year was magical... Rango and Pirates 4 stunk... the same thing could be said about Desplat. Largo Winch 2 is low grade material.

I would actually prefer it if composers took less work... 1-2 scores maximum and put all there efforts into those then spreading it all out over the course of 8-9 projects in 12 months.

yonythemoony wrote
    Also, this movie could give him a nomination, since that everybody is talking about it as a big contender.

I would love it if it got a nomination... not so much for Desplat... but to give Pope some much need attention!.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011 edited
    yeah All of it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    I would actually prefer it if composers took less work... 1-2 scores maximum and put all there efforts into those then spreading it all out over the course of 8-9 projects in 12 months.

That's probably why almost everything Thomas Newman writes nowadays is gold. wink