• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Thor, sometimes I think you just like being contrary for the sake of contrariness.

Well, I know it's hard to fathom how someone cannot like Alexandre Desplat, but this is getting ridiculous. What gives? Is he the new Jerry Goldsmith-at-FSM? The 'golden calf' that everyone must bow down to and worship?

No, that would be me.

wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015 edited
    Thor wroteWell, I know it's hard to fathom how someone cannot like Alexandre Desplat, but this is getting ridiculous. What gives? Is he the new Jerry Goldsmith-at-FSM? The 'golden calf' that everyone must bow down to and worship?

No, obviously not... but, seriously, some of the things you've said on this thread just strike me as being intentional baiting.

"I find both [THE GOLDEN COMPASS and RISE OF THE GUARDIANS] as lacklustre and dire as anything in his HARRY POTTER scores. And those are REALLY bad, so that's saying something." I mean - what? As someone who grew up loving Elfman, Goldenthal and Williams's leitmotivic writing, command of a huge orchestra, brilliant and creative orchestrations, I would expect you to be ecstatic that someone who is working in a similar oeuvre is having success... but then you say that Desplat's leitmotivic writing, use of a huge orchestra, and orchestrations are "dire". I mean, I can absolutely understand a preference for a certain style - but "dire"?

And then you say "But of course, all three are much better than most anything else in Desplat drama or comedy oeuvre (except for some early Audiard works)." - which then basically classes everything else he's ever written except for REGARDE LES HOMMES TOMBER, UN HÉROS TRÈS DISCRET and SUR MES LÈVRES as being worse than dire.

Really?? THE LUZHIN DEFENCE and GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING... INQUIÉTUDES, BIRTH, THE PAINTED VEIL, LUST CAUTION, THE GHOST WRITER... you, without any hyperbole, genuinely consider all those scores to be terrible. Dire. Not a single redeeming factor. For real?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015 edited
    Hey, what can I say? He doesn't strike a chord with me. Never have. I've never hidden this here or elsewhere. Sure, there's a highlight here and there, but for the most part he either bores or grates. And it irritates me that he's become so huge and is so unanimously praised. And is now also doing a franchise I am very close to. Maybe that explains some of my rhetoric.

I will concede that I deliberately phrased myself strongly earlier (dismissing lot of his work in one big swoop), but that is because it provokes me that people are unable to cope rationally with differing prefences -- saying that something must be wrong, you're just doing it to be contrarian etc. No, believe it or not -- it's possibly to not like something and that's that.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I sometimes wish that would indeed be just that, but man, for a non-American, you love a soapbox.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2015
    Martijn wrote
    ...which you steadfastly fail in doing, Erik. wink

I choose my battles wisely.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Thor, I can at least somewhat sympathize with your thoughts about Desplat. He's never going to be my favorite composer either. Something about the way he composes just doesn't reach the heart in the same unabashed way as composers like Powell, Williams, Horner, Zimmer etc. do for me. I would say "not yet, anyway," but frankly, it's been such a long time and I've heard so many of his scores by now that I kind of doubt he'll ever reach those composers' level.

However, the man is undeniably an extremely talented, intelligent and versatile composer who has proved able to adapt to practically any genre of film while still retaining an instantly recognizable personal voice (even you can't tell me he doesn't have that). Can't you at least appreciate his music at a technical level? If nothing else, you can't say that his orchestrations are dire, because that is flat out wrong at a musicological level.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    What's your criterion Edmund? As close to Williams as possible? This spin-off film will differ in many ways from the "trilogy films". Grant Desplat air to breath.

I never said that. But for Star Wars, I want a composer who moves me and who has a real sense of fun and adventure. Desplat has only partially achieved that for me. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, obviously, and he's a better choice than many, but I can't bring myself to be as overjoyed about this news as most of you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2015 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I sometimes wish that would indeed be just that, but man, for a non-American, you love a soapbox.

Well, you give me reason to. The more hostile the reaction to a differing preference or opinion, the more 'soapy' my rhetoric becomes. And round and round it goes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Y'all are reacting to Thor like I did when someone here called Desolation of Smaug "themeless". biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Someone's still holding out on that point? wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2015
  6. My review of SUFFRAGETTE, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2015/10/16/suffr … e-desplat/

Jon
  7. Jon Broxton wrote
    My review of SUFFRAGETTE, for anyone who's interested:

Jon

I'll never understand this attack on Desplat that his music is sometimes "cold." I find most of his music very moving indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2015
    freezing
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. It must be different ears, I guess.
  9. Jon Broxton wrote

Jon

I notice at least one complaint in the press about why this film wasn't scored by a woman, considering the subject matter.

No similar complaints about a non-astronaut scoring The Martian.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote

Jon

I notice at least one complaint in the press about why this film wasn't scored by a woman, considering the subject matter.

No similar complaints about a non-astronaut scoring The Martian.

There's a slight difference between being a woman and being an astronaut. Slight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Alan's logic is spot on. Had they hired males to play the roles of the womenfolk, then the argument might be on firmer ground. But complaining about the lack of a female composer is just ridiculous, and, ironically, sexist.
  11. Ridiculous how? And sexist? rolleyes

Not that Desplat or any other male composer shouldn't score a movie on this subject. But hiring a capable female composer, of which there are a few, is hardly a strange move.
  12. Gender mainstream is in general ridiculous. I have resolved to refer to women riding that wave as "it-beings".
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Ridiculous how? And sexist? rolleyes

Ridiculous that it should matter or that someone complained about it. Sexist because gender is brought to bear on something where it does not make a damn bit of difference. (Not that I tend to concern myself with sexism and PC bullshit, i couldn't care less about this project. I care about logic though.)
  13. Captain Future wrote
    Gender mainstream is in general ridiculous. I have resolved to refer to women riding that wave as "it-beings".

That doesn't have the same ring as "feminist." wink
  14. Steven wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Ridiculous how? And sexist? rolleyes

Sexist because gender is brought to bear on something where it does not make a damn bit of difference.

That's not sexism. That's just being slightly overanalytical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's one way to describe feminists, yes.
  15. My review of THE DANISH GIRL, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2015/12/16/the-d … e-desplat/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2016
    IMDB lists Junkie XL as the composer for Godzilla 2.

Please tell me this is bullshit. I don't mind if it's not Desplat, I just can't handle going to the complete opposite end of the spectrum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote

Please tell me this is bullshit. I don't mind if it's not Desplat, I just can't handle going to the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Not really THAT opposite. Desplat's first score was a percussive, aggressive affair, and if we judge by the (excellent) score for MAD MAD, JXL could certainly deliver here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The only way the man is able to produce any kind of listenable material is when he used to remix other people's stuff.
    So Godzilla will now become a musically irrelevant, largely unlistenable soundscape. Much like the utter embarassment that was Mad Max.

I'm looking ever more forward to this year's Toho reboot of Godzilla, which sports the not inconsiderable talents of composer Shiro Sagisu. The man employs an insanely broad palette of musical styles, so this could easily go either way as well, but at least he's never boring, in wry contrast to the pogressively less musical compositions of JXL which are quite irrevocably crossing over from music to soundscape to soundeffect.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

Well that's put me off (if it turns out to be true). Next we'll have Henry Jackson scoring Rogue One.