• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007 edited
    That's all i need to do right now as i am (yet again) playing the most gorgeous score of the year, imo, LUST, CAUTION. Although The Golden Compass had me particularly disappointed for the time being, he's still up there in my books. Cheers Mr.Desplat! beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007
    IMO Desplat is my # 1 working composer......at least until Williams next project arrives ( Indy IV )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    Although The Golden Compass had me particularly disappointed for the time being, he's still up there in my books. Cheers Mr.Desplat! beer

Am i the only one Who likes this score??? I think it's a very mature , elegant and complex score. And the action stuff is one of the best I have heard In a long time.

Ok, it's not so thematic than It could be, but it's really worth to investigate!
  1. Jordi and I are on the same side for once, which is an odd sensation. wink
    I think this is a pretty carefully written score... alas that signs aren't that good for the film. This score isn't nearly as moving as LUST CAUTION, but it's nice to hear a score with more than a couple of themes. Recording is a bit flat as Erik has said. I think I will 'come out of retirement' and review this one.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. .
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    Nautilus wrote
    I think it's a very mature , elegant and complex score. And the action stuff is one of the best I have heard In a long time.

Ok, it's not so thematic than It could be, but it's really worth to investigate!

Yeah; and sounding like virtually every other fantasy score out there :sigh: anyway, i have to grant it some truly spectacular and dense arrangements overall but it's disappointing.
  3. I don't know that it sounds like every other fantasy score out there... I haven't heard Stardust, but it doesn't sound much like Island of Lost Souls, Pan's Labyrinth, Bridge to Terabirthia, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium, or (the pathetic) Last Mimzy to name a few recent fantasy scores. (I'd say it's better than all but one of them, actually - Cornish's Island.)

I think of the Golden Compass material, I like the 'Letters from Bolvangar' theme the most, particularly when it's reprised for chorus and oboe towards the end of 'Riding Iorek' - very sad, particularly if you know what it represents in the narrative. (The 'Samoyed' hunt music that comes immediately after is pretty gripping too.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    or (the pathetic) Last Mimzy

I used to agree with that sentiment, but now I must whole-heartedly disagree with it, because I recently saw the film, and loved the film, and now love the score as well because it fits the film quite well. It's not exactly a traditional fantasy film.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Hello Scribe. I must admit I haven't seen the film - fantasy generally isn't my cup of tea. As music, I found that score so dreary though. If a score is of the quiet subtle kind, it can still be musically interesting. :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Have you listened to the score upwards of 15 times? I definitely felt the same way you did my first several listens through it, but it grew on me muchly even before seeing the film (which is actually more sci-fi than fantasy).
  5. I had to do a review of it for soundtrack.net, so I listened to it about 8 times... I keep a couple of tracks on my ipod and come back to them every now and then, but I just never warmed to them unfortunately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I guess its just a personal thing for me then.... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I think it's a very mature , elegant and complex score. And the action stuff is one of the best I have heard In a long time.

Yeah; and sounding like virtually every other fantasy score out there :sigh: anyway, i have to grant it some truly spectacular and dense arrangements overall but it's disappointing.

Seriously? I don't think Golden Compass sounds like Narnia or like StarDust or Like LOrd OF the Rings. I think it's sounds like Birth or like Lust Caution but with a little more feeling of fantasy.

Sometimes the love for a composer can be good, and other times bad. For you this is the last case here. You are dissapointed because you are a Desplat fan, so probably you could be dissapointed wih everything he have been done.

Take a step back, and take perspective Demetris.

(Oh man...Since a few months ago Im much more mature, Im impressed with myself! that's because now I listen Williams!)
  6. Yes, Demetris, have perspective. For the children! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Sometimes It's hard to understand your posts guys...perhaps you sould learn English! vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus is nauseous.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus is nauseous.

but If You loved me a few minutes ago in another threath!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I didn't say nauseating, I said nauseous
    ...perhaps you sould learn English! vomit

angelic
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote

angelic

no, my english is fine. it's just I read it without glasses moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote

Without properly filled glasses, I take it?
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Take what you want, my house is your house tongue beer

And After so many Beers..... sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    My The Golden Compass review <-- Copy and paste job from scorereviews.com and Goldenscores.com.

I found the score rather... dull. We get a few good themes and a couple of standout tracks - the rousing "Lee Scoresby's Airship Adventure" and the theme from "Lyra, Roger And Billy" are definite highlights - but a lot of it underwhelming, uninteresting underscore that doesn't really do much to perk my attention. I can't really hum any of the themes back at the moment. However, I appreciate Desplat's daring orchestrations and unique sound scape for such a film but I'm just not connecting with it. Maybe because I was expecting something else and Desplat decided to go against the grain so to speak. Even the action music seems scattered with no focus. But "Battle With The Tartars" is pretty big and finally gives me the sound I was hoping for from Desplat with this score. Interesting blend of orchestra and percussion.

Another negative is the recording... it could have been a bit more wide open. It's very tightly mic'd but it sounds like the score was recorded by a 40 piece orchestra instead of a large symphony orchestra. Maybe it was the recording separate sessions for each section of the orchestra, as reported by Justin at scorereviews.com, that has this effect on the recording.

So, there's a lot of atmosphere... a lot more than I bargained for. I guess a viewing of the film might help me understand why Desplat took this route. I'd rank it up there with the latest Harry Potter score. Now, to be clear... I'm NOT comparing Desplat to Hooper.. I'm just saying that the two scores are similar in that they could have been so much more but are two scores that don't do ANYTHING special.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Something made it out scorereviews.com?! It's like an artifact from a lost era... sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote

angelic

Dictionary works better wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. My review of The Golden Compass over at Movie Music UK - the first full online review! biggrin

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/gcompasscd.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Jon Broxton wrote
    My review of The Golden Compass over at Movie Music UK - the first full online review! biggrin

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/gcompasscd.htm

Tom and Golden Scores were first. tongue
    Kazoo
  9. I think the key word there was 'full'. Tom's may have been first, but it didn't give a very strong picture of the work. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    1... I liked the work.
    2... Since my site is more about golden score material I wrote an article about it and don't give out a star rating to it.
    3... Jon and I had a falling out due to some stroke issues I was having at the time and like the majority of individuals I know, they just don't get it. Perhaps he'll have one someday and if he survives he'll understand what happens to you. The stroke is an extremely sensitive issue to me, even today and I'll let it go at that.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    3... Jon and I had a falling out due to some stroke issues I was having at the time and like the majority of individuals I know, they just don't get it. Perhaps he'll have one someday and if he survives he'll understand what happens to you. The stroke is an extremely sensitive issue to me, even today and I'll let it go at that.
    Tom

Offside!!!

Tom... was that necessary? Why are you attacking Jon?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!