• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2008
    You take the pointy factor away and make it safe. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    By hammering it home repeatedly.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. NP: The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Max Steiner

First Listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    By hammering it home repeatedly.

biggrin

NP : BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin

Top notch! Plus it has the worlds 2nd coolest theme EVER! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agreed!

(Erm. What's the first?)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Sabrina - John Williams

It's my mother's birthday today and one of her favorite scores is John Williams' Sabrina. So, happy birthday Mom... and you have VERY good taste. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Agreed!

(Erm. What's the first?)

Debatable but I would say Mancini's The Pink Panther cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, I see where that could indeed be debated for hours (I myself was already thinking along the lines of Bernstein's The Man With The Golden Arm, or Mancini's Peter Gunn), but I'm more than happy to go along with your assessment, which is most proper and fitting!
    cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Yes, I see where that could indeed be debated for hours (I myself was already thinking along the lines of Bernstein's The Man With The Golden Arm, or Mancini's Peter Gunn), but I'm more than happy to go along with your assessment, which is most proper and fitting!
    cool

Thank you beer

Could also add 'A Shot In The Dark' ( my all time fave Mancini theme ) and The James Bond Theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What's wrong with The Persuaders? Are all you people mad?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    What's wrong with The Persuaders? Are all you people mad?

....and one of my all time favourite TV themes as well shame ......by my all time favourite film composer shame

slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's my list of Favourite coolest themes ever...

1. THE PINK PANTHER - Henry Mancini

2. BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin

3. A SHOT IN THE DARK - Henry Mancini

4. GET CARTER - Roy Budd

5. ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry

6. THE PRISONER - Ron Grainer

7. JOE 90 - Barry Gray

8. THE IPCRESS FILE - John Barry

9. THE MAN FROM UNCLE - Jerry Goldsmith

10. DANGER MAN - Edwin Astley

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Here's mine:
    The Pink Panther (Henry Mancini)
    Bullitt (Lalo Schifrin)
    The Man With The Golden Arm (Elmer Bernstein)
    From Russia With Love (John Barry) (The original opening credits! Not the song!)
    The Thunderbirds (Barry Gray)
    The Persuaders (John Barry)
    The Avengers (Laurie Johnson)
    A Shot In The Dark (Henry Mancini)
    Batman (Neil Hefti)
    The Untouchables (Nelson Riddle)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Here's mine:
    The Pink Panther (Henry Mancini)
    Bullitt (Lalo Schifrin)
    The Man With The Golden Arm (Elmer Bernstein)
    From Russia With Love (John Barry) (The original opening credits! Not the song!)
    The Thunderbirds (Barry Gray)
    The Persuaders (John Barry)
    The Avengers (Laurie Johnson)
    A Shot In The Dark (Henry Mancini)
    Batman (Neil Hefti)
    The Untouchables (Nelson Riddle)

Good list man cool

I like your inclusion of The Untouchables, that's a great theme though I doubt many here will have heard it? Riddle also did fantastic underscore for the Batman TV show as well as arrangements for the like of Frank Sinatra....but you knew this anyway biggrin wink

p.s. Have you heard the Danger Man theme....it's got Harpsicord wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    ...but you knew this anyway biggrin wink

I did. wink

Really? shocked
    Hmmm, can't seem to be able to discern it here: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Ggk9qQG … re=related
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Little Women - Thomas Newman

I always seem to overlook this one when I'm looking for a Newman fix. It really is a gorgeous little score.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I did. wink

Really? shocked
    Hmmm, can't seem to be able to discern it here: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Ggk9qQG … re=related

That's not it Martijn.

The later series had a new theme. I'll see if I can find it unless you beat me to it. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BODY HEAT - John Barry

Sizzling with sexuality...excellent! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I did. wink

Really? shocked

That's not it Martijn.

The later series had a new theme. I'll see if I can find it unless you beat me to it. wink

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbq0SkfaY84

It comes in at about the 2 minutes 10 mark.

cool

Also noticed that the director of this episode is Peter Yates. ( 5 degrees of Kevin Bacon or whatever it's called? Yates was the director of Bullit )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

One of the greatest film scores ever written....totally brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Agreed 110% And again Timmer your listening habits are extraordinary!

NP: Music For Stage and Screen - Aaron Copland and John Williams

John Williams conducts the Boston Pop in performances of Copland's The Red Pony suite, Williams' own Born on the Fourth of July concert suite, Copland's Quiet City for Strings, Trumpet and English Horn and Williams' brilliant The Reivers suite narrated by Burgess Meredith.

The Red Pony has its moments... and you can hear how influential Copland is to the Williams' Americana sound. I can't say I'm too fond of the middle portions of this suite but the upbeat main theme, which opens and closes the suite, is very enjoyable.

The Born on the Fourth of July suite is magnificent... however, I which Williams had left the breathtaking "Theme" to be performed at the end of the suite. After the Theme we get two cues from the score "Cua Viet River, Vietnam 1968" and "Massapequa...The Early Days." While those are two excellent cues (the whole score is excellent), they aren't the two best cues to end off a suite. A little bit of re-arranging, which I can do in iTunes, makes for a better listen as I stick the Theme at the end of the suite and move "Massapequa...The Early Days" to the beginning. And let's not forget Tim Morrison's trumpet solos. They are, as always, brilliant. Such a distinct sound.

Copland's "Quiet City for Strings, Trumpet and English Horn" is a soothing ride which perfectly sets up the highlight of the album for me and is one of my all time favorite re-recordings. I know Michael (franz) and I had a "discussion" about this suite months ago concerning the inclusion of the Merideth narration. IMHO, I think it fits the suite perfectly. Now, would I have liked to heard the suite without the narration...? Sure... but I think the arrangement of the music allows for brief moments of narration while the highlight cues from the score are performed without. I think it's a good trade off.

Anyway, this is a solid album and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves Copland's distinct Americana sound.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Alan Menken

His masterpiece. Outstanding.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Musashi by Ennio Morricone

Only about 1/3 of the way through it - should hear the rest on the drive home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Southall wrote
    NP: The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Alan Menken

His masterpiece. Outstanding.

I agree with every fibre of my being. Ironically this was his first Disney score he got no Academy Award for, after he won it years in a row. Must have been the sexually enhanced atmosphere... burn, witch, burn... rolleyes
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Copland's "Quiet City for Strings, Trumpet and English Horn" is a soothing ride which perfectly sets up the highlight of the album for me and is one of my all time favorite re-recordings.

This was an important reference of Bruce Broughton's score for the Matthew Broderick film INFINITY.

NP: GODS AND MONSTERS (Burwell)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2008
    Katiek wrote

how is it like?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. MUSASHI is great.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Katiek wrote

how is it like?

I liked the main theme in the first and last tracks, and a few in the middle, but there were a number that were too quiet or almost atonal for me. But I confess I prefer lavish melodies and generally don't favor more subtle or abstract themes.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Sinbad and the Legend of the Seven Seas - Harry Gregson Williams

Why couldn't Zimmer's POTC scores be like this? Don't bother asking, this is far superior to the first two POTC scores -- and a decent imitation of Debney's far superior Cutthroat Island.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Katiek wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Katiek wrote

how is it like?

I liked the main theme in the first and last tracks, and a few in the middle, but there were a number that were too quiet or almost atonal for me. But I confess I prefer lavish melodies and generally don't favor more subtle or abstract themes.

Is this a recent score? It's damn hard keeping up with Morricone releases.