• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008
    Steven...You are going to have another "happy feet" or "at world's End " Jordi's kind of Obsession ...

NP:Speed Racer (GIacchino)

Adicted to it!

I don't like the original main tune from the Animated series, but How It's used here it's quite impressive. A kind of Homenage with Giacchino's own Sound. And probably how a composer must use a theme from other composer (A great another example is Giacchino's M:I 3).

The last track with the Victory-progression stuff, and the big Ending Chorus is the perfect Close for a Perfect and impressive score.

An eclectic mix of styles, with some long action cues (at least in the complete form) wich makes one of my favourites scores in the last years....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, but is it better than Zimmer's POTCAWEZQOATL?

NP: The Virgin Queen - Martin Phipps
    Mmmm...I'm (still) liking this a lot! This fusion type of music is SO my thing!

Incidentally, has anyone noticed a cornucopia of Elizabethan drama on TV and in cinemas?
    Just finished watching Elizabeth I, starring Helen Mirren, and only now realized that this "Virgin Queen" thing should be about the sameself subject (I guess, not having seen any of it).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote

t).

tongue that reminds me to Scorereviews.com...

Zimmer's POTCAWEZQOATL is my all time favourite score. Because Zimmer is my favourite Composer. Beucase it's what I was looking for all this years from Zimmer, because his mix of styles, because it's the big ending of a trilogy, because his addictive themes...

In objective terms, probably Speed Racer is more complex, but Speed Racer's love theme is not "marry me" either tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

NP: The Virgin Queen - Martin Phipps
    Mmmm...I'm (still) liking this a lot! This fusion type of music is SO my thing!

Incidentally, has anyone noticed a cornucopia of Elizabethan drama on TV and in cinemas?
    Just finished watching Elizabeth I, starring Helen Mirren, and only now realized that this "Virgin Queen" thing should be about the sameself subject (I guess, not having seen any of it).

And none of them come close to the brilliant BBC series Elizabeth R starring Glenda Jackson complete with hideously garrish white make-up and blackened teeth.

Have you seen this Martijn?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Bregje wrote
    NP. Blood Diamond again. Is it any good? wink

Nah, it's shit. To be honest I don't understand what people see in this composer's work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Bregje wrote
    NP. Blood Diamond again. Is it any good? wink

Nah, it's shit. To be honest I don't understand what people see in this composer's work.

JNH is very good, you should check his stuff out sometime Lee!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP:Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban John Williams

mmmm
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    NP:Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban John Williams

mmmm

What's on that coat of arms Tim? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:At world's End (Zimmer)
    1 hours 33 minuts of music.

"up is DOwn" or "hoist the colours suite" is the most Pirates thing I ever heard, yes more than other more well considered scores...

The Fanfarre while you are sailing and the waltz for Drunk pirates!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES - James Horner

First listen

Hmmmmmm???

I really enjoyed this! Yes it references Cocoon, Krull, Titanic etc but I really enjoyed it. cool

Does it help me that I've neither a) seen 'Casper' and b) never heard the 'Casper' score either? wink

If this score tips it's hat to anyone it's Maurice Ravel.

I found to be an unfocused mess. The plethora of lifted themes from previous score is damn right distracting. But should I have expected anything different from Horner... no. But I still don't enjoy Spiderwick one bit. A total snoozer with the exception of the outstanding The Flight of the Griffin. But even that, compared to everything else the composer has done in his career is rather dull.

-Erik-

PS - Timmer... do yourself a favor a find Casper. A lovely score.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Timmer wrote
    Tim (not timmer) wrote

mmmm

I'm afraid its the Newcastle United Football Club coat of arms, I am a tragic romantic (at least when it comes to football)

However I would like to point out now that I am NOT a geordie, and never was, its just that my dad supported them, and I never had a choice much like my own son won't if i'm that lucky/unlucky to have one!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:At world's End (Zimmer)
    1 hours 33 minuts of music.

It's that long?! shocked

( sleep )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

It is - but I prefer Spiderwick myself! shocked

As for Jordi - sleep sleep sleep
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Tim (not timmer) wrote

mmmm

I'm afraid its the Newcastle United Football Club coat of arms, I am a tragic romantic (at least when it comes to football)

However I would like to point out now that I am NOT a geordie, and never was, its just that my dad supported them, and I never had a choice much like my own son won't if i'm that lucky/unlucky to have one!

Fair do! Looks good though smile

I'd have put up Blofeld's coat of arms ( from On Her Majesty's Secret Service ) wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

^ biggrin

As for SPIDERWICK, well, like I said, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to playing it again, I can hear all those other Horner references though the overall feel, as I said before, seems more to me to be Maurice Ravel. I guess familiarity doesn't always breed contempt!? wink

I'll check out Casper sometime Erik, though it's not high on my list of score priorities at the moment, unless I see it for really cheap.

NP : nothing
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Casper is probably my favourite Horner score after the Zorro ones.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Casper is probably my favourite Horner score after the Zorro ones.

Cripes! shocked

I think I could probably name 20 Horner scores before I got to naming either of the Zorro scores ( though I do like them ).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Say what you will, but I like Spanish music. wink smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

No, fair enough, it's just that Horner has a huge catalog of great scores that I find his Zorro's at the lesser end of his better output....IMO of course smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

As for Casper, Spiderwick and Horner.. sleep crazy sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

No, fair enough, it's just that Horner has a huge catalog of great scores that I find his Zorro's at the lesser end of his better output....IMO of course smile

I love the Zorro scores, but there's so much wonderful stuff in Horner's career I'd have a hard time putting them right at the top of the list.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

What happened to "Marry me" ? biggrin

NP:Speed Racer (giacchino)

Sorry guys, from At world's End to Speed Racer again and again...

Again: Does anyone notice "only live twice" theme homenage?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

What happened to "Marry me" ? biggrin

I suddenly realised that you'd be playing 93 minutes of POTCAWE all the time and it would drive me crazy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Joshua - Nico Muhly

An excellent score from a 26-year-old (!) composer. Really top stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROBOCOP - Basil Poledouris

One of the greatest superhero scores written punk cool

SUPERMAN being first of course wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek IV - Leonard Rosenman

Despite its reputation... this is fantastic!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ROBOCOP - Basil Poledouris

One of the greatest superhero scores written punk cool

SUPERMAN being first of course wink

You mean Badelt's rejected X-Men score didn't top your list? shocked

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    Joshua - Nico Muhly

An excellent score from a 26-year-old (!) composer. Really top stuff.

Just had a first listen to this one too. And I really like it. The theme or motif from the first track is so cute and innocent. Not all cues are interesting on ther own, but the atmosphere is excellent. Seldom a sudden scary effects but more a buildup and the use of some creepy techniques on the violins.

I like it!
    Kazoo
  3. Antineutrino wrote
    NP: The Egyptian - Bernard Herrmann & Alfred Newman

First Listen

I know that it was a while ago now but what did you think of The Egyptian?

A great example of a collaborative effort - each person knew what they had to do!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn