• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. No, much better than Harry Potter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    So it's Indy meets Harry Potter action?

No... the action music in Harry Potter, especially Chamber of Secrets and Azkaban are SOLID.

Crystal Skull is Indy meets Fitzwilly meets Home Alone meets the generic junk in AOTC... namely Bounty Hunter's Pursuit.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    *Sigh*

Need I bother waiting for the movie to hear this now? sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    *Sigh*

Need I bother waiting for the movie to hear this now? sad

I don't want to ruin this for you... seriously. Maybe I should have just kept my big mouth shut but as a HUGE Indy fan and a HUGE fan of Williams, I need to voice my opinion becuase this isn't John Williams in top form. But then again, maybe this is me hoping that Williams could have delivered another late 70's early 80's gem like he did with Prisoner of Azkaban. And I'm disappointed that this is all we get waiting two years for a new Williams score. I mean, there are hints of greatness in this score but it just don't get the same giddy feel that I do while listening to the other three. However, in saying that I can't reference the film when listening to this score either so I might eventually change my mind after seeing the film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You have to remember that Williams is in a virtually impossible position with this one. He is never going to please everyone. He had already written about five hours of Indiana Jones music - and with such a long gap since the last film, this wasn't like Last Crusade where the main aim was to do something fresh and new because it was so close to the previous one - this time the main aim was to recall the previous scores. That has to be combined with the fact that for the fresh material, Williams of 2008 is never going to sound like Williams of 1981 or 1986 or 1989 (or whatever the years were) - so you're going to end up with a score which on the one hand is trying to sound like the earlier ones, but on the other is written by a composer who has moved on to a different level (I'm not saying it's higher or lower - but it's unquestionably different) since then. Always going to be very, very difficult to tread that line.

If you look back to when Phantom Menace was released, many of the people who now love the score didn't like it at the time, for the reasons being mentioned in this thread about KOTC. Time will tell. I haven't even heard it yet, so I'll shut up now until I have!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Southall wrote
    You have to remember that Williams is in a virtually impossible position with this one. He is never going to please everyone. He had already written about five hours of Indiana Jones music - and with such a long gap since the last film, this wasn't like Last Crusade where the main aim was to do something fresh and new because it was so close to the previous one - this time the main aim was to recall the previous scores. That has to be combined with the fact that for the fresh material, Williams of 2008 is never going to sound like Williams of 1981 or 1986 or 1989 (or whatever the years were) - so you're going to end up with a score which on the one hand is trying to sound like the earlier ones, but on the other is written by a composer who has moved on to a different level (I'm not saying it's higher or lower - but it's unquestionably different) since then. Always going to be very, very difficult to tread that line.

If you look back to when Phantom Menace was released, many of the people who now love the score didn't like it at the time, for the reasons being mentioned in this thread about KOTC. Time will tell. I haven't even heard it yet, so I'll shut up now until I have!

Yeah, JWilliams can't go too far: everyone no-musical (all those popcorn eating fans) just wanna
    hear the main theme over, and over, and over again. I'm sure he wants to do some diversity but
    he has to stay within the limits. Although, the final track clip sounds like he is promising to bring
    every single Indi theme back, as well as (hopefully) a few new.
    We'll see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    @ Erik

Shit.

Comical action music?

Did I say already this ??? rolleyes

Anyway..Perhaps, not people pay attention what I said ealier.

NP: "jungle Chase"

Dammed! why the whole score is not like this???
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

Hummm... I loved The Phantom Meance right out of the gate. It felt like a Star Wars score. The others in the series didn't. However, then we get something like Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban which harks back to the style of old so in my mind I'm thinking ya... Williams is back. Unfortunately, I'm just not feeling that vibe with his newer material.

And I'm repeating myself but I am happy to see the old timer changing things up but I think there is a certain sound associated with the Indy films that I hear in the quieter and more dramatic moments, which is GREAT (the variations on the Crystal motif are indeed pretty sweet), but it's the lazy and tired action material that just sounds like fluff. And since this is an action/adventure picture with a find history of creating some of the most memorable action sequences in the history of film it just disappoints me to no end to hear the stuff that Williams delivered for this score.

Again, I will wait to see the film for my final judgment but it's an album that I don't think I want to return to as much as I do with the first three scores.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    @ Erik

Shit.

Comical action music?

There's comical action music in all of the Indy scores so that shouldn't be a surprise.

A limited amount in the first two and a bit too much in Last Crusade... but Crytal Skull's music is just plain goofy music... far too goofy. Kinda "Keeping Up With The Jones's" goofy... and I HATE that track.

Look, none of this rivals "Basket Chase" or "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orcehstra" if that's what you are getting at.

And the Mexican source music in "The Journey to Akator" is just a waste of space as is the concert version of The Raiders March that opens the album.

-Erik-

Agree with your "review".

I have to say I like "keeping up with Jones" I like the tune. Something I can't say about Mutt's theme. Wich is too goofy and classical-like. It seems out of place for some reason...

The first track is a waste of time, I like the Mexican source music but sadly is mixed too suddenly. Bad mixed is all the themes in "finale" too .
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well at least the most promising cue is good I guess...?

Wait, why do I even care? I haven't even heard it yet... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    @ Erik

Shit.

Comical action music?

You know, The Jungle Chase is a mess as well. It's all over the place. I wish the Williams had based the music around the "Olympic Fanfare" inspired rhythms heard in the middle of the piece and played with the Indy and Irinia theme over top of that for the whole piece with maybe a new motif that would be heard only in The Jungle Chase. The lighthearted junk we hear in the beginning of the track and the new Mutt motif (which doesn't do ANYTHING for me) just doesn't fit.

Plus, was it you Jordi that pointed out that the ending of the piece sounds almost identical to the "Belly of the Steel Beast" music? If so, then I'd say you are right and is one of the reasons why this score is disappointing me.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    @ Erik

Shit.

Comical action music?

You know, The Jungle Chase is a mess as well. It's all over the place. I wish the Williams had based the music around the "Olympic Fanfare" inspired rhythms heard in the middle of the piece and played with the Indy and Irinia theme over top of that for the whole piece with maybe a new motif that would be heard only in The Jungle Chase. The lighthearted junk we hear in the beginning of the track and the new Mutt motif (which doesn't do ANYTHING for me) just doesn't fit.

Plus, was it you Jordi that pointed out that the ending of the piece sounds almost identical to the "Belly of the Steel Beast" music? If so, then I'd say you are right and is one of the reasons why this score is disappointing me.

-Erik-

i didn't say it's a perfect piece. I find the militaristic rythm (again like some other pieces in the score) mixed too suddenly. Mutt's theme really breaks the climax. but it's the only track wich is a little bit similar in style to the old Indy action tracks.

From "Jungle Chase" I like specially the teathrical use of Irina's theme , the militaristic rymtns and the new version of Raider march.

But I completly agree about your thoughts about this score.

The action stuff is chaotic and unfocused, like it was " Bounty hunters.."
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I just entered this topic and there are 72 (SEVENTY TWO) new posts!? shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    I just entered this topic and there are 72 (SEVENTY TWO) new posts!? shocked

And you will read them all! There'll be a TEST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    i didn't say it's a perfect piece. I find the militaristic rythm (again like some other pieces in the score) mixed too suddenly. Mutt's theme really breaks the climax. but it's the only track wich is a little bit similar in style to the old Indy action tracks.

From "Jungle Chase" I like specially the teathrical use of Irina's theme , the militaristic rymtns and the new version of Raider march.

I can't believe I'm saying this... and I just called down to hell and it is indeed snowing... but I agree with ya, Jordi. For the first time we are on the same page. Does this mean that I'm loosing it completely. crazy Have I turned to the dark side?

Anyway... moving on.

NP: Prince Valiant - Franz Waxman

GREAT adventure music! One of the all time best scores!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I can't believe I'm saying this... and I just called down to hell and it is indeed snowing... but I agree with ya, Jordi. For the first time we are on the same page. Does this mean that I'm loosing it completely. crazy Have I turned to the dark side?

-Erik-

Well, I'm not glad to be in the same side, because I would prefer at least some other people enjoy this score.

What do you think about Raiders march new version in "Finale"? And Do you not thin Mutt's String crescendos are too forced? And Do you like "Temple Ruins and City of GOld track" ?

thanks

NP:Prince Caspian (HGW)

I can't get enough of this. Not because it's good or memorable, but I like the sound design and some pure orchestral moments.

"The Door in the Air" is one of the best cues ever Composed by HGW. And "return of the lioN" and "battle of Aslan's how" are great : Epic and Bold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Well, I'm not glad to be in the same side, because I would prefer at least some other people enjoy this score.

What do you think about Raiders march new version in "Finale"? And Do you not thin Mutt's String crescendos are too forced? And Do you like "Temple Ruins and City of GOld track" ?

thanks

I would say the new version of Indy's theme at the end of "Finale" is my favorite bit on the album. Sounds like Williams really had some fun with it. I don't think the crescendos in Mutt's Theme are forced, in fact it's one of my favorite tracks on the CD. It's not exactly a hummable theme, but it's certainly a lot of fun.

"Temple Ruins and The Secret Revealed" is a pretty good track. The tender rendition of the Crystal theme on oboe that segues into an eerie and then powerful rendition is great.

Like I said in the John Williams thread, the score isn't magnificent, but it's very good -- better than ROTS and much better than AOTC in my opinion. If you haven't heard it yet, don't get your hopes up too high and I think you'll enjoy it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FURY - John Williams

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    KOTS sounds like one of those scores where it really sucks until you've seen the movie. Even then it might only get slightly better, so I think I'll wait still. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    KOTS sounds like one of those scores where it really sucks until you've seen the movie. Even then it might only get slightly better, so I think I'll wait still. smile

O'kay.....What you want... tongue

NP:At world's End

Oh...Much better now punk

jack Sparrow is what Mutt's theme has to be tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP - Raiders

After all the negative comments and gripes about the new score today, I've taken the same route as Jordi and am listening to something that I personally cannot find fault in.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

O'kay.....What you want... tongue

NP:At world's End

Oh...Much better now punk

jack Sparrow is what Mutt's theme has to be tongue

Move along folks...nothing to see.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

Haven't heard it yet but have booked tickets to see this next Thursday.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Haven't heard it yet but have booked tickets to see this next Thursday.

I'm off to see it next Saturday, but I've got next week off as I quit my job and don't start my new one until the week after. Yay!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    NP: Arn - Knight Templar - TUOMAS KANTELINEN

Stunning! cool

Exactly. Let's see any of the younger R/C clones (or other composers of the same attitude) creating something like that sometime soon wink And to think that stuff like Prince Caspian end up to HGW!!!!! rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Lost Season 3 Michael Giacchino

Yuh, I'm addicted to it. I think I prefer the quieter reflective moments, that's the album's strength IMO.

Quite true. It's so strong and coherent musically, so beautiful. One of the best releases to come along in years.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

After my first two listens I'm pretty underwhelmed. There are some excellent moments but for the most part I can't help but thinking of Williams' Home Alone scores, his goofy 1960's comic romps and the weak AOTC when listening to the action material. Of course I need to hear this sucker in the film before I make a final judgment but for me this is the worst of the bunch. Now, I didn't have a reaction like this when the first three came out so there's obviously something "off" with this score.

So what did I like? The Crystal Skull theme and Irina's theme (the sax is a nice touch) - but the comedic, slapstick nature of the action cues really turn me off. And there isn't really a standout cue that can rival ANYTHING written in the first three films. The majority of it is pretty standard fare... and I never use those two words when describing Raiders, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade. However, the latter half of "Departure" was pretty interesting but it didn't wow me!

I need a few more listens but I can't say that my mind will change by May 22nd.

It's a very professionally crafted score and better than most composers could ever dream of creating but it doesn't feel like and Indiana Jones score. It's just way too lighthearted.

You know what's strange? There are other composers writing better John Williams scores than Williams himself.

My two cents,

-Erik-

I'm glad I'm not in any rush for this score, I'll be seeing it next Thursday which will also be the first time I listen to the score, Erik's views on John Williams is amongst a few select viewpoints that I'll take seriously so in effect I'm glad I'm not hearing it away from the film yet.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Lost Season 3 Michael Giacchino

Yuh, I'm addicted to it. I think I prefer the quieter reflective moments, that's the album's strength IMO.

Quite true. It's so strong and coherent musically, so beautiful. One of the best releases to come along in years.

No it isn't! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MASQUERADE - John Barry

Not one of his best but still very good with molody and themes that Barry churns out seemingly without effort. Very relaxing and enjoyable listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    And NOTHING can be more annoying than Shortround's theme... tongue

HEAR BLOODY HEAR!
    Finally! An ally! I've always hated that theme!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn