• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Peter Pan James Newton Howard

Another JNH score that everyone probably hates. rolleyes (I exaggerate of course, simply because I'm so shocked.)

Anyway, this is an underrated score. I'm sure Lee will agree with me on that one, he actually likes things and doesn't complain like the rest of you bastards!
    biggrin

Aside from it kinda fading out with no big climax at the end, it has some wicked themes! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP - Turning Point - Michael Giacchino

Because I can. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    La Jeune Fille et Les Loups is really good indeed. The opening piece is fantastic, what an intense buildup of the whole orchestra. The main theme for La Filleis quite addictive too. One of his more accessible score I think?

I don't like the fact that ARmar is turning into yet another Philip Glass sound-alike. If you listen to his (much superior imo) early work, you'll see how he's personal sound is slowly but steadily evolving into what i mentioned before.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Gladiator Hans Zimmer and Co.

Very underrated*

*by people who don't like it.
    wink

rolleyes

I always thought this score was really blamed for all the movie music fans. but I see it has a lot of fans.

Ironically, it's one of the Zimmer's most bizarre score. he was starting to know how composer "Epics" and this is what makes this score not so perfect like he has showed in his posteriors efforts.

Jordi, GLADIATOR IS Zimmer. It contains every single musical element that made his sound and what Zimmer is about and along with THE THIN RED LINE, easily his most accomplished score. I could never understand how you could override such a mature and developed musical work and parade about generic stuff like Panda instead. Really baffles me.
  1. Metal Gear Solid 4 by HGW ! shocked

Electro-Harry is back ! punk

Tracks like BB Corps, Metal Gear Saga & the amazing Desperate Chase are just... great ! punk punk

The tracks written by the japanese team aren't bad too... beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Jordi has made a big step forwad. He haven't asked somebody who already has the Kung Fu Panda soundtrack about the credits so far. wink
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

Very underrated*

wink

rolleyes

I always thought this score was really blamed for all the movie music fans. but I see it has a lot of fans.

Ironically, it's one of the Zimmer's most bizarre score. he was starting to know how composer "Epics" and this is what makes this score not so perfect like he has showed in his posteriors efforts.

Jordi, GLADIATOR IS Zimmer. It contains every single musical element that made his sound and what Zimmer is about and along with THE THIN RED LINE, easily his most accomplished score. I could never understand how you could override such a mature and developed musical work and parade about generic stuff like Panda instead. Really baffles me.

I think there are two main problems people more knowing (it could include you too, but of course it doesn't) in musical field may have with Gladiator and think that KFP is better than it. (of course Jordi is not a musicologist, but anyway)

First, Gladiator IS weird if you looked at it in context of its classical influences ranging from Mozart to Gorecki and taking Holst, Wagner and even Prokofiev (I think I also hear some Shostakovich) to the mix. Second, the mixing of the score and perhaps the orchestrations themselves aren't too perfect, I don't say that the orchestrations are BAD per se (want bad orchestrations - try Bird on a Wire and sadly some of Lion King, not on the original album though - the final battle as heard on a bootleg is sometimes a pure mess), but there was a significant development somewhere in the time of Tears of the Sun and Da Vinci Code was a breakthrough in that way, which makes The Thin Red Line even more amazing in that matter (very beautifully orchestrated score, which was something definitely new in Zimmer's career in that period, I believe Peacemaker makes some mistakes, but that is a conventional error for me, I can elaborate later if you wish).

I think I am clear here and not very wrong (I just speak of my feelings helped by my very basic knowledge in music). With PotC 3 the only thing that irritates me is that the whole score is written in friggin' D minor as if Zimmer didn't know other tonalities anymore or rather forgot them for some reason (he changed tonalities in, e.g., The Lion King) biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

Very underrated*

wink

rolleyes

Why???? it's very, very simple.

Zimmer tried too hard with Gladiator ( Because was his first real Epic score)

"the battle" or "barbarian Horde" are just a really annoying and synthy versions of his action style ( Peacemaker is far, faaaaaaar better ).

"Patricide" or " Am I not merciful " are too classical inspired without any kind of Zimmer's personality (ok, Zimmer is a very classical inspired composer, but he always put his own tunes).

And then the coherency....From Hotls to Wagner to Morricone without any kind of measure.
    I can't enter into a score wich goes to "progreny" to "the battle" to "patricice " to his more synthetized and tribal elmements realeased in "more Music from Gladiator" (Stuff who really seems from another movie )
  3. Patricide is VERY Zimmerish, Jordi. And the Lacrimosa references are also part of his distinct style. He's used it since I think Fools of Fortune!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Thomas wrote
    Jordi has made a big step forwad. He haven't asked somebody who already has the Kung Fu Panda soundtrack about the credits so far. wink

I did. shame

Anyway, im not so obssesed with it like In my old Times in Scorereviews or moviemusic forum.

Luckly im growing up! Im too old for that S_it! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Patricide is VERY Zimmerish, Jordi. And the Lacrimosa references are also part of his distinct style. He's used it since I think Fools of Fortune!

Yes...and No. It's Zimmer's Fools of Fortune. Right. The Kind of Zimmer's stuff that you can't distinct from a Classical composer.

Zimemr grew up, and he added his own twists in the main tunes.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

Anyway, im not so obssesed with it like In my old Times in Scorereviews or moviemusic forum.

Oh God, you mean it was worse? shocked dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    For surviving this dark times of study for the exams I prefer a little backgroundmusic. Today it was eleni karaindrou , eternity and a day and trojan women.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Oh God, you mean it was worse? shocked dizzy

Ahahhaha...I was much, much worse than now...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Very underrated*

wink

I find it a bit of a mess in the film but hey, it's Ridley Scott and he's not averse to chopping scores.

On CD I quite like it......but it is overrated tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

Why???? it's very, very simple.

Not it's not.

Zimmer tried too hard with Gladiator ( Because was his first real Epic score)

Tries too hard? So he's either too lazy or tries too hard? Dear god Jordi.

"the battle" or "barbarian Horde" are just a really annoying and synthy versions of his action style ( Peacemaker is far, faaaaaaar better ).

Peacemaker is more synthy than Gladiator. 'The Battle' and 'Barbarian Horde' are two of Zimmer's finest pieces of music.

"Patricide" or " Am I not merciful " are too classical inspired without any kind of Zimmer's personality (ok, Zimmer is a very classical inspired composer, but he always put his own tunes).

So? Why is that a bad thing? They sound great and work well in the film.

You really are talking out of your arse Jordi! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote

Peacemaker is more synthy than Gladiator. 'The Battle' and 'Barbarian Horde' are two of Zimmer's finest pieces of music.

How Indy said to Irina : Come Onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn dizzy

"The chase" with his woodwinds, drums , bells and chorus...

anyway, " i don't think now is the best time" put every note of "the battle" into the trash.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

How Indy said to Irina : Come Onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn dizzy

Music teachers would have a field day with you Jordi, they really would.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

anyway, " i don't think now is the best time" put every note of "the battle" into the trash.

It really doesn't, they're both great. You're weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    If you don't like Gladiator, you don't like zimmer. Zimmer is Gladiator. His whole style and passion for filmmusic is on that cd. He is never goin to reach that level of perfection again. But that's only my humble opinion. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

what makes me really rolleyes is you really think "the battle" is in the same level of composition and complexity of "I don't think now is the best time".
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christoph wrote
    If you don't like Gladiator, you don't like zimmer. Zimmer is Gladiator. His whole style and passion for filmmusic is on that cd. He is never goin to reach that level of perfection again. But that's only my humble opinion. smile

I never said I don't like Gladiator.

I said it's not one of my favourite Zimmer scores. I like it, but it has a lot of weak parts.

And I prefer listen better works with the same ingredients.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

what makes me really rolleyes is you really think "the battle" is in the same level of composition and complexity of "I don't think now is the best time".

Who cares Jordi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote

Who cares Jordi.

Oh...i thought we was talking...

Then...Don't care.

NP:Lost in Space ( Broughton) biggrin

I love this score!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008 edited
    Christoph wrote
    For surviving this dark times of study for the exams I prefer a little backgroundmusic. Today it was eleni karaindrou , eternity and a day and trojan women.

Gorgeous music, isn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    Christoph wrote

I never said I don't like Gladiator.

I said it's not one of my favourite Zimmer scores. I like it, but it has a lot of weak parts.

And I prefer listen better works with the same ingredients.

Jordi,

Gladiator is Zimmer's most personal work in all levels, surely his most accomplished along with THE THIN RED LINE, something he won't ever surpass if you ask me;

POTC scores, no matter how good and enjoyable they are, are basically further developments of what Zimmer first established in GLADIATOR, a sound to which he always circled around, POTC scores included. Gladiator is more coherent, well-written and - at points, spectacular (the battle waltzes, am i not merciful) than any other work he has ever written (with the exception of THE THIN RED LINE) and everything else that followed was further ideas around that and (Good) recyclings.

You need to be a little more realistic when it comes to certain things, Gladiator is his most influential work to date and preceded all of his work that came after with Grandeur and musicianship he never managed to keep up to and i don't think many more will argue on the opposite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

And here it is; you can't possibly be serious about that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

And then the coherency....From Hotls to Wagner to Morricone without any kind of measure.
    I can't enter into a score wich goes to "progreny" to "the battle" to "patricice " to his more synthetized and tribal elmements realeased in "more Music from Gladiator" (Stuff who really seems from another movie )

Gladiator has more bonding musical elements than any other Zimmer work (except TTRL); they're everywhere in this, one of his most mature works to date. And I'd really like it if ONE came with any valid arguments whatsoever than the lame Holst and co plagiarism accusations; Like anyone bothers that a vast majority of both Summer's other works but also a large portion of the more general film music output also borrows heavily from the same (and not limited to) works as well.
  4. Timmer wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: La Jeune Fille et les Loups (Armand Amar)

Yay! I got my copy last night and hope to give a listen today.

Why are so many of the good scores these days the ones that extensively rely on minimalism?

Because most of the others are going Wham, Bam, Thank you Hans? rolleyes

"Wham, Bam, Thank you Hans rolleyes "

Could become a by-word for every score not "written" by Hans Zimmer that sounds like Hans Zimmer wink

This is a very good tagline for a Zimmerish score.

As for GLADIATOR, I agree that there isn't a lot of musical integration in it. If you skip 10 minutes through the score, you are in quite a different genre of music. If the Gladiator waltz is to represent the civilised aspect of Rome, why is there a totally different style of music when we go to Rome later in the film? Zimmer scores each scene in this film well, but there really isn't any overall structure. The film ties it all together, much as it does in the (equally disparate) BATMAN BEGINS.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. NP: Troy (rejected) (Yared)

This is a magnificent work by Yared. Really wonderful.

However. I simply cannot believe him when he says he'd not heard Holst's Mars before writing the main Greek war charge music. It was hard enough to buy it from Zimmer when he said it was not an inspiration for GLADIATOR. But this is even closer, and it's not a bad thing, but I struggle with the notion that Yared re-invented the wheel on such a famous piece.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am