• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    NP: L'Ennemi Intime - Desplat

It took me a while to warm up to this one, but I'm glad I gave it the chance. It's certainly in a completely different vein than anything else I have of his, but it's a welcome relief after having just finished Goldsmith's complete score to First Knight. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

KFP? Kentucky Fried Pasta?

BEST. IDEA. EVER. eat

You're not kidding...are you!? dizzy vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David wrote

It took me a while to warm up to this one, but I'm glad I gave it the chance. It's certainly in a completely different vein than anything else I have of his, but it's a welcome relief after having just finished Goldsmith's complete score to First Knight. biggrin

Talking about relief, I've just finished playing Tyler's AVP : R, and though I like some of it, getting through the whole thing is an earache.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. BhelPuri wrote
    I seldom post when I'm listening to a score so this one is more of a recently played than now playing-

RP: Armand Amar - Le Premier Cri

Delightful! Beautiful score with ethnic touches and some Glass-like cues smile

I enjoy a lot of his music. That one has some beautiful music. I can imagine it makes for a very cheesy film though.

NP: Captain Blood (by the dude)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christoph wrote
    For surviving this dark times of study for the exams I prefer a little backgroundmusic. Today it was eleni karaindrou , eternity and a day and trojan women.

Gorgeous music, isn't it?

yes it is. Honestly, I prefer 'trojan women' above 'eternity and a day' and 'Ulysses' Gaze', although much people will disagree with that smile .

Now listeningen : Danny Elfman - Hulk. : this is the Elfman I like : oriental influences in a hulk-score was really not what I expected, pleasantly surprised. I prefer scores like planet of the apes en hulk above happy musical tunes like " a corpse bride". Will Armstrong use the theme of Elfman in the next Hulkfilm ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christoph wrote
    Will Armstrong use the theme of Elfman in the next Hulkfilm ?

I highly doubt it. It's an entirely new film, nothing to do with Ang Lee's film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Christoph wrote

I highly doubt it. It's an entirely new film, nothing to do with Ang Lee's film.

I thought it was supposed to be a sequel?
    Doesn't it start with scenes in Brazil?

(I must admit to not having looked very carefully, though... shame )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christoph wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christoph wrote
    For surviving this dark times of study for the exams I prefer a little backgroundmusic. Today it was eleni karaindrou , eternity and a day and trojan women.

Gorgeous music, isn't it?

yes it is. Honestly, I prefer 'trojan women' above 'eternity and a day' and 'Ulysses' Gaze', although much people will disagree with that smile .

Now listeningen : Danny Elfman - Hulk. : this is the Elfman I like : oriental influences in a hulk-score was really not what I expected, pleasantly surprised. I prefer scores like planet of the apes en hulk above happy musical tunes like " a corpse bride". Will Armstrong use the theme of Elfman in the next Hulkfilm ?

No, i love Trojan Women as well. The female choir work is hauntingly beautiful and eerie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christoph wrote

I thought it was supposed to be a sequel?
    Doesn't it start with scenes in Brazil?

(I must admit to not having looked very carefully, though... shame )

No idea, but I do know it's not a sequel or indeed a prequel. It's simply another Hulk movie. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008 edited
    They said recently that people can refer to it however they want, it fits every glove. If they want to see it as a sequel, there´s room for that. If they see it as a restart, they can do it as well.

It is a selfcontained story that will not retell the origin.

The origin of The Hulk will be explained in a short three-minute sequence that will be shown at the very beginning during the Main Credits. Early reports tell us this sequence is actually very cool and gets everyone up to date on what happened in a great and not too complicated way, much like the original TV series did.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Happy Feet - John Powell

No big deal, but happy fluff. It makes me smile.

Big deal. It's a great score, and contrary to the title, has many not so happy moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apparently you hear more in it than I do.
    I think it's enjoyable, standard Powell fare, which to me means loads of rhythm changes and catchy tunes. Can't really find much more. And that's absolutely fine, as far as I'm concerned. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. NP: The Blue Max (Goldsmith)

Fine score. 'The Retreat' is classic Goldsmith.
  3. Martijn wrote
    biggrin applause biggrin

NP: Hellboy - Marco Beltrami

The "complete" version (or bootleg, or whatever. The two CD variant anyway).
    I wonder if it holds my interest throughout as much as the commercial release does?
    I've always only added the B.P.R.D. suite to my commercial release for my listening pleasure. Well. We'll see.
    So far so good. A grand and epic sound, and excellent sound quality.

Martijn, I'm interested to know your 2-CD Hellboy experience. Did it keep your interest?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008 edited
    HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - Metal Gear Solid 4

First listen and Damn, some people should simply understand that some things simply aren't for them and they're only doing harm to their careers / image. I am talking NARNIA scores of course. If you simply compare those 2 dreadfully dull and uninspired scores with any moment of this passionate modern work altogether, you'll simply see that the difference in quality is HUGE.

The stirring and heavily emotional newly orchestrated by Gregson Williams, Moriconne song "Love Theme" by Jackie Presti is certainly one of the most pleasantly shocking things i've heard this year! And the main theme is top-notch, among other stuff. The action stuff is trademarked HGW.

Very good and energetic work that while of course won't echo to everyone, still this is what HGW does best and it's in all its glory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn, I'm interested to know your 2-CD Hellboy experience. Did it keep your interest?

shame
    Nope.
    Not for lack of quality, but it's just too long to properly maintain my interest.
    There's a lot of good action and suspense cues, a lot of melodic work as well, and based on single-cue merits, I'm quite impressed... but put 'em all together and 2+ hours of it just puts me to sleep.
    The commercial release, augmented with the B.P.R.D. suite from the bootleg is an excellent representation.

(You should be aware though that I very, very, very rarely indeed can make it through any Complete Versions... For example, I can't stand those 100-disc Lord Of The Rings issues. It's just too much for me to maintain the same level of interest and concentration. It just starts to feel like work, and that is a red flashing light to me!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am with Martijn here. No matter how everyone seems to be praising and enjoying the merits of the HELLBOY COMPLETE version, i still find myself largely enjoying the official release of the otherwise excellent score, instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Standard Operating Procedure - Danny Elfman

Very strong. I like it a lot - interesting how he uses the Glass techniques but it still sounds 100% Elfman to me.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - Metal Gear Solid 4

First listen and Damn, some people should simply understand that some things simply aren't for them and they're only doing harm to their careers / image. I am talking NARNIA scores of course. If you simply compare those 2 dreadfully dull and uninspired scores with any moment of this passionate modern work altogether, you'll simply see that the difference in quality is HUGE.

The stirring and heavily emotional newly orchestrated by Gregson Williams, Moriconne song "Love Theme" by Jackie Presti is certainly one of the most pleasantly shocking things i've heard this year! And the main theme is top-notch, among other stuff. The action stuff is trademarked HGW.

Very good and energetic work that while of course won't echo to everyone, still this is what HGW does best and it's in all its glory.

How do you know the Morricone song is arranged by HGW ? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Says so on the file tagging I would imagine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Whatever mate, his name is in the credits of the song along with Nobuko Toda, Akihiro Honda as almost the entire score too. Who can really tell who did what?
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Whatever mate, his name is in the credits of the song along with Nobuko Toda, Akihiro Honda as almost the entire score too. Who can really tell who did what?

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/disco_detail.php?id=788

That's what I have...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    YEah, google it a bit and you'll find different versions of the credits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Brother Bear (promo) - Mark Mancina

Must say that after listening to this, I saw how much was missing from the OST! A very decent score by Mancina and one of my favourites punk
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    YEah, google it a bit and you'll find different versions of the credits.

Anyway I'll know the 100% TRUE credits soon (and let you know)... biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Impy's Island II - Jim Dooley
    I have mixed feelings about this score. While Dooley is an RC guy, this is a score for a German animated children's movie, so it has none of the typical RC sound. There is far too much mickey-mousing, but then there is also a main theme that, while short, is absolutely gorgeous and almost sounds like something Rombi would compose. So this score is like 30 minutes of annoyance and 5 minutes of pure bliss.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Bloody hell, almost 400 unread posts!

The stuff about JNH caught my eye though and, yes Steven, I will agree with you about Peter Pan.

NP: Everything I own by James Newton Howard

... and it's all f*cking brilliant. The rest of you can sod off! (Except Steven and whoever said nice things about Atlantis). biggrin

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Beauty And The Beast - Alan Menken

Another of my favourites which sadly has a meagre amount of score on the OST. West Wing and Battle On The Tower are terrific action cues (along with Wolf Attack in Music Behind The Magic) and Transformation is a cue so beautiful that I cannot get it out of my head! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote
    Bloody hell, almost 400 unread posts!

The stuff about JNH caught my eye though and, yes Steven, I will agree with you about Peter Pan.

NP: Everything I own by James Newton Howard

... and it's all f*cking brilliant. The rest of you can sod off! (Except Steven and whoever said nice things about Atlantis). biggrin

punk

My man. cool
  7. David wrote

There's a track in that score I love called 'Fantomes'. Such dissonant strings against such gentle piano. Great musical idea.