• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It seems to me that what we need is an idea for venues for each of the weekend days where we know that people who are around know where and when to aim for a meeting. For example, I'd aim to meet people somewhere in Bristol on Saturday lunchtime or early afternoon.

If there is a group that are going to the concert then we need to know the numbers who want to go so that someone can sort out tickets (which means that concert goers need to be commited to go so that tickets are bought that are not needed). And then we need a meeting place for people who want to meet up with concert-goers/sightseers on Saturday lunchtime/early afternoon after the concert.

The concert looks like it lasts about 1 hour:

Music from the Doctor Who series - ~40 minutes
    Fanfare for the Common Man - 3 minutes
    The Planets: Jupiter - 8 minutes
    The Torino Scale (Mark Anthony-Turnage) - 4 minutes
    Die Walküre: The Ride of the Valkyries - 5 minutes

http://tickets.royalalberthall.com/seas … ear=7-2008
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It seems to me that what we need is an idea for venues for each of the weekend days where we know that people who are around know where and when to aim for a meeting. For example, I'd aim to meet people somewhere in Bristol on Saturday lunchtime or early afternoon.

Perhaps one of the quiz locations Timmer often uses?

The prices of theconcert are really cheap! shocked
    Do I miss something?
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It seems to me that what we need is an idea for venues for each of the weekend days where we know that people who are around know where and when to aim for a meeting. For example, I'd aim to meet people somewhere in Bristol on Saturday lunchtime or early afternoon.

Do I miss something?

We are gonna sit together right? So it's best that someone pays for all the tickets?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Tommy_Boy wrote
    Bregt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Do I miss something?

We are gonna sit together right? So it's best that someone pays for all the tickets?

That's why I mentioned that there needed to be some sort of commitment from anyone who says that they want to come to the concert. For people to sit together (unless there is a way during booking to select your own seat - I've seen that option for booking at the Millenium Centre in Cardiff) someone needs to book the tickets and then get the money back from attendees.

So, for the concert we need to have a firm idea of numbers so that we can start this thing rolling. I'd imagine that with it being a BBC Prom and also because of the Doctor Who connection these tickets may suddenly disappear as we get closer to the concert date.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Bregt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Do I miss something?

That's why I mentioned that there needed to be some sort of commitment from anyone who says that they want to come to the concert. For people to sit together (unless there is a way during booking to select your own seat - I've seen that option for booking at the Millenium Centre in Cardiff) someone needs to book the tickets and then get the money back from attendees.

So, for the concert we need to have a firm idea of numbers so that we can start this thing rolling. I'd imagine that with it being a BBC Prom and also because of the Doctor Who connection these tickets may suddenly disappear as we get closer to the concert date.

indeed, so let's get down to business, normally I'm game and gonna attend the weekend, or something seriously must have to appear on my work for me not to attend
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Seeing this only takes an bit more then one hour, then I'd like to join the concert gang as well. The price is 10£ right?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I won't be going to the concert but I can fit in around that.

As for a gathering at a local 'watering hole' wink I would suggest somewhere with a good atmosphere such as the waterfront with it's galleries and history ( the SS Great Britain is here ) or Clifton village which has plenty of fine pubs, plus it would be a damned shame if our visitors left without seeing the spectaculer Avon gorge and suspension bridge.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Is there somewhere central that could be used as a meeting point in Bristol for Friday/Saturday/Sunday where people could meet up on these days - almost a pick-up point? A pub on the waterfront?

We need to find out who is definitely going to be there at some point and when. We all have a rough idea of what we all want to do. Keeping this thread free from "chat" could people who are going to be there give some information on when they think they will arrive. For people who are unsure at the moment, just keep that quiet for the moment and then, once we have a framework, you can add your information to the framework?

Arriving: Saturday lunchtime
    Where: Bristol city centre
    Leaving: Monday afternoon

Can we assume that both Tim and James can be flexible for that weekend?

So, ideal for me would be for a pub on the waterfront where people are going to be for a few hours Saturday lunchtime/afternoon. Then I can aim for that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The waterfront would be a good and easy meeting point and I can make a Friday, Saturday or Sunday....I can definately do two days but Mel wouldn't want me awol for all three wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kerry will definitely want me awol for all three.

Right... I propose we meet here on Saturday:

http://www.pitcherandpiano.com/location … ea=Bristol

(PS: no concert for me thanks)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A note of caution: the Proms website quite specifically states that the Dr. Who concert is aimed at getting small children into concert going... so we may be looking the Happy Meal of concerts, which rather feels me with dread and trepidation... slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer! No more Bath?

Anyway, this is not going to be cheap!

I found one hostel of 105 pond for 3 nights. Is that cheap or not? In terms of comparison.
    It's a bit oddly named: http://thewhitehouseguestrooms.co.uk but it looks decent to moi!

It's only 1km from train station and 1km from the center and the location James suggested.
    Anyone wants to join this house, let me know, perhaps we can order multiple bed rooms and make it cheaper.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I found another one! 65pond for a 1 Bed(s) in shared single sex rooms, incl breakfast -in a Youth Hostel. Lets hope others don't bully me!

So, perhaps not unless someone joins me here as well.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    To answer Alan's questions

- I'll be there for the weekend itself
    - I will just let go of the concert and enjoy London or Bristol instead. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt, I'll definately be available on two days. Bath too! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    plus it would be a damned shame if our visitors left without seeing the spectaculer Avon gorge and suspension bridge.

Just searched for it and that looks awesome!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote
    plus it would be a damned shame if our visitors left without seeing the spectaculer Avon gorge and suspension bridge.

Just searched for it and that looks awesome!

Not so great if you don't like heights wink
  6. Southall wrote
    Kerry will definitely want me awol for all three.

Right... I propose we meet here on Saturday:

http://www.pitcherandpiano.com/location … ea=Bristol

(PS: no concert for me thanks)

I'd certainly agree that this should be the meeting place for Saturday and I'll aim for this venue.

As for the concert. It does look as though it's not going to be as straight forward as first thought (nor aimed at the appropriate age group?) and I think that I'll pass on the concert. Perhaps if we could make Sunday to include a trip to Bath?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I need a shortened version of this thread. Update me people! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We -> UK

K?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    We -> UK

K?

biggrin

K.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Perhaps we stay better in Bristol then on Sunday?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    We -> UK

K?

biggrin

K.

Last time: tongue

25th July until Monday 28th July
    Bristol (and perhaps London)

Talking, feeding, drinking, having fun, some sightseeing and perhaps a BBQ at James.

Tim(not Timmer) and perhaps also Timmer will have a few days more in Bath... as Tim has free rooms in Bath. I defenitely want to do a bath there!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008 edited
    I won't be there for the 25th as I have just found out I have a wedding to go to so it's a bit this> sad and a bit that> smile

I'll be making myself available for 26th - 28th beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008 edited
    Gonna add some movement in here.

Anyone knows about this guest rooms James or Timmer or others?
    http://www.thewhitehouseguestrooms.co.uk/index.html

Alan, have you ordered a hotel already?
    What are your locations or ideas? The same hotel (different room) would be nice too. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2008
    I'll get back to you on this on Sarurday.
  7. Bregt wrote
    Gonna add some movement in here.

Anyone knows about this guest rooms James or Timmer or others?
    http://www.thewhitehouseguestrooms.co.uk/index.html

Alan, have you ordered a hotel already?
    What are your locations or ideas? The same hotel (different room) would be nice too. smile

I've not made any arrangements yet.

Awaiting feedback from Tim...

A quick search provides a few other city centre alternatives:

http://www.wheresbest.co.uk/venue/16446 … est-House/
    http://americanairlines.wcities.com/en/ … egory.html
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

rolleyes
    ^
    not you guys...ME! Damn DAMN computer!!! crazy

Give me a couple of days unless James is about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

rolleyes
    ^

You need a new computer for the love of god!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

rolleyes
    ^

You need a new computer for the love of god!

No shit Sherlock....just show me the money! slant