• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Well duh, I'm more than up for seeing Williams, but when it's just some generic concert that consists of a lot of his stuff then I'll pass. wink

I've no idea what kind of program he does these days? When I saw him it included a suite from Close Encounters which for me was the highlight of the evening.

It's been a looooonnnng time since JW did a concert in the UK slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Far, far too long. I saw him in Birmingham and London the last time he was here. I remember him doing plenty of non-standard stuff, like Sleepers and The Witches of Eastwick.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Far, far too long. I saw him in Birmingham and London the last time he was here. I remember him doing plenty of non-standard stuff, like Sleepers and The Witches of Eastwick.

If he did announce concerts everybody would have to get them fast.

The likes of John Barry and Ennio Morricone have no problem selling out, Williams would go like hot cakes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. The Doctor Who concert was just an example of what I could find in July - I wouldn't be too disappointed if there was not a concert to go to it we all get together.

In my experience with meetings the time passes really quickly if there's somewhere to sit and drink with easy access to food.

I think that any meeting that was based in London would be too expensive for most people. I'd be hoping to have something organised that would be over a couple of days - maybe even 3 days if some sort of a plan could be arranged.

If we could decide pretty early on on a venue (city at least) and a date (month?) then we could begin to put something together?

I'd like to recommend Bristol in July as a starting point. I suggest Bristol as it's somewhere I've visited (briefly) before and it seems to be somewhere that would be as good as any. And, to be honest, there are at least a couple of people who live there or there abouts and that's a start. Also, it's relatively easy to get to via the motorway system.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahem. Which tram stops in Bristol, if I get on in The Hague?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Bristol in July would be excellent. Finding a not so big venue is a good idea, I'm sure Timmer or Southall can help here with the logistics. And the fact that there could be a BBQ is totally awesome as well.

I hear London is (too?) expensive for this kind of thing, but I wouldn't mind ending there with a concert and another night at a hotel or so. If I can, I'll combine it with a cultural trip to Bath, like Tim advised, and perhaps some sightseeing in London.

That would be the dream trip for such event. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Ahem. Which tram stops in Bristol, if I get on in The Hague?

WHen I check a couple of weeks ago, you'll take te Thalys/Eurostar to London. From Brussels to London, it's only 1 hour and 50 minutes (!). Then take a 2 hour train drive to Bristol.

Or was that a joke? tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    a TWO HOUR TRAIN DRIVE?

No limousine? No chauffeur? sad

I'm slightly disappointed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'll join your trip and pay your port so you can forget the fact that you're in a train.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah, young master De Lange, I DO appreciate the fashion of your thinking. Indeed I do!
    christmas_drunk
    (This is my favourite emoticon!}
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's only about 90 minutes from London to Bristol if you go on a proper train. And then you'll be able to witness the birthplace of the slave trade, all for yourselves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yah, the birthplace of slave trade...that's what we remember Bristol for... rolleyes
    I prefered my Dovells reference, really... smile

Incidentally, what would be an improper train?
    (One to Frankfurt, presumably?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was referring to the one that Bregt mentioned, which must be going a very strange way if it takes two hours.

The other thing Bristol is very famous for, apart from being the birthplace of the slave trade, is that it's the home of Geoff Leonard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You don't actually like your home town very much, do you? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's only my adopted home! And I don't really live in Bristol anyway - I live in nearby Bradley Stoke (aka "Sadly Broke" after it was the worst-hit place in the country during the last property crash - I'm counting the days till the next one)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Who's Geoff Leonard?

We can do it in Bath? And have a group bath in the Roman Bath? A few Roman dressed waitresses would be nice too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Behold...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Stoke

(sorry... but Who's Geoff Leonard?!?!?!?)

Bath is a very nice place. And I do like the idea of a group bath. Especially if we're all naked, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, who's Geoff Leonard?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

Brits are always SO Anglocentric... rolleyes
    You realize I may be the ONLY Non-English European (for yes, my dear fellow, you ARE Europeans too!) to actually ever heard mention of Geoff Leonard? Not everything transpiring in the United Kingdom is of any actual interest to anyone beyond the white cliffs of Dover.
    Except me, possibly.
    But then I redefine anorakness.

Bath is a very nice place. And I do like the idea of a group bath. Especially if we're all naked, of course.

I see.
    And how many ladies were invited again?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavi is wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked

Who...she...I...but...we ... bath...naked...

<faints>
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Co-author of 'John Barry - A Life In Music'?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    shocked

Who...she...I...but...we ... bath...naked...

<faints>

lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote

All will be revealed. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Cool! I need to click more the more button. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Ha ha ha! I wrote some of that, years ago! Can't believe it's still there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

I see.
    And how many ladies were invited again?

Isn't Bregt coming?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Brits are always SO Anglocentric... rolleyes
    You realize I may be the ONLY Non-English European (for yes, my dear fellow, you ARE Europeans too!) to actually ever heard mention of Geoff Leonard? Not everything transpiring in the United Kingdom is of any actual interest to anyone beyond the white cliffs of Dover.

Don't be absurd. Our empire stretches across most of the globe. And how dare you call me European? I didn't sign the treaty!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

I was expecting a lolcat. sad
  2. I live in bath!!

Also if you visit before the end of july, then my student house will only have two occupants (including myself) instead of six, so I could probably help some people out. Being a council tax payer (although I'm a student, so don't pay anything) I may be able to get reductions on certain bath things, but don't hold me to it!

Otherwise I'd also be happy to go to bristol, its not to far for me.
    If in doubt, let the wookie win