• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008
    All weekends still open as far as I'm concerned.
    As far as the concert goes: I'd love to close with that, but if that won't happen I won't lose any sleep over it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. The concert is one of the Proms and is likely to sell out pretty quickly I'd imagine. I mentioned the concert only because it was the only concert I could find that happened in July - it wasn't meant as something we needed to do.

If we could get enough people it would be neat but it would need a bit extra organisation, particularly transportation to London (and back). James would likely know how easy it is to get to and from London. Personally, if there was a trip to London for the concert then I'd want to return to Bristol that evening and then travel back home on the Monday.

I was thinking about travelling down on the Saturday morning, meeting up in the afternoon. And then travelling back sometime on Monday. So that would be 2 nights in Bristol with the rest of the time "doing stuff".

Maybe if someone knows of a weekend in July they know definitely is out - most people seem to be free any weekend and if someone knows that there's a weekend that theu cannot do that can be a start whittling down the possible weekends.

What I'd like to say is that when we try and suggest weekends we try and commit to that weekend.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008 edited
    As a start, I'd recommend the following weekend:

Fri. 18th - Mon. 21st

The reason? I was thinking that if we could find a composer whose birthday was one of the weekends then we could "celebrate". However, I noticed that Jerry Goldsmith died on the 21st July 2004. I remember exactly where I was when I heard this sad news.

Maybe if we met during this weekend we could devote some of the time in some sort of tribute?

But, maybe I'm just being daft? But it's a start...

[EDIT: if people want to suggest the following weekend for the concert then feel free!!]
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. As far as travelling to Londons concerned it is very easy by train (direct to Paddington) and then a 2 mile walk (about half an hour) over hyde park to the royal albert hall. That would be nice (we could get a tube back after the concert)

Trains cost from £20 for a return, and the latest back is 11.30 departure, which may be to early.
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
  3. Tim (not timmer) wrote
    As far as travelling to Londons concerned it is very easy by train (direct to Paddington) and then a 2 mile walk (about half an hour) over hyde park to the royal albert hall. That would be nice (we could get a tube back after the concert)

Trains cost from £20 for a return, and the latest back is 11.30 departure, which may be to early.

Cheers!

I notice that the concert starts at 11:00 am!! May be too early for some?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Well, if the night in Bristol was long, then that's early. wink
    But I don't mind at all. How long is the concert?

And when is the BBQ then? tongue
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    @Robinson, an event in the USA would be cool but then there needs to be a lot more to do. It's not a trip we can just make like this one to London, which is fairly easy and quick by train. But perhaps in a few years we can organise and plan something like that on advance...

@Tommy, just let us know your available weekends otherwise we can't plan. wink

So, all weekends are good for some people so far.
    What about Martijn, Tim, Timmer and Steven?

And what about the Doctor Who concert, perhaps to end the weekend with? That's okay to me, but perhaps some don't really want to attend. Perhaps it will take us too much time away as well, in the probably 2 days we have?

I for one, want to make it a trip of several days. Tim (not Timmer) likes to give me a tour and booze introduction in Bath (if that offer is still standing Tim wink ), so I can hang out there another day or so. Perhaps I'll end in London and try to find someone who wants to stay there a little longer. Even if that does not happen, the planned weekend should be a great thing! So, besides Bath and Bristol, any cool locations around there I should see?

Weedends shouldn't be a problem for me, I'd even like to go to Bath and take Tim's tour. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Weedends shouldn't be a problem for me

WHY do I ALWAYS have to fight this prejudice?
    YES, I am Dutch. NO, I'm not bringing you drugs!
    cry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

cry

But thats the only reason you were invited!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

cry

Aw!

And there I was going to put an order in for some Lebanese!? rolleyes wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin

Ok then, we have already an extended group trip to Bath then! cheesy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote

shocked

Kinky! Is Stavroula coming? ( shame )
  5. I would like to like to attend the concert of the Proms, and for me a couple of days around the weekend would be fine for me! I simply need the dates and I can check tomorrow if I must harrass my boss with nagging for vacation or not tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Bregt wrote

shocked

Kinky! Is Stavroula coming? ( shame )

shocked shocked shocked
    We definately need more female members in Maintitles.net!!! tongue
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  6. Yes. We do.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008
    Guys, I'm going to introduce you to a simple truth.
    In the fields of IT, tabletop wargaming, airplane spotting, philately, whiskey tasting and ANY type of collecting or beyond-average interest, the percentage of men outweighs the percentage of women by a factor of 3720.

We are very lucky indeed to have such intelligent, charming, caring and personable women like Bregje, Stavroula, sometimes Marie-Lise and in times past Caitlin among us.

Pipe dreams notwithstanding, odds are it's very unlikely to get much more crowded with the fairer sex.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008
    too bad
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    @Robinson, an event in the USA would be cool but then there needs to be a lot more to do. It's not a trip we can just make like this one to London, which is fairly easy and quick by train. But perhaps in a few years we can organise and plan something like that on advance...

That is true Bregt....
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote

We are very lucky indeed to have such intelligent, charming, caring and personable women like Bregje, Stavroula, sometimes Marie-Lise and in times past Caitlin among us.

Thank you for the compliment dear Martijn.It is nice to be appreciated... smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  7. Stavroula wrote
    Martijn wrote

Thank you for the compliment dear Martijn.It is nice to be appreciated... smile

I didn't know Stavroula is a woman shame
    You see, that's why we need profile pictures tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, well, we're not one step further now with all this lady talk.
    Never try to plan something when ladies are around. tongue wink

That doesn't include me, before James jumps on that wagon again. slant

Okay!

Has Steven actually read this already?
    Or does he live far from Bristol? Steven!?

Lets narrow down the dates to
    July 18th - 21st
    July 25th - 28th

I'm with Martijn as concerning the concert. Why not do it now that it's available? Perhaps then extend the weekend with one day for an extra day of chatting? Or is that too much? Just guessng and thinking...

Any other input?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm happy with either of those dates. I won't go to the concert myself, but that shouldn't affect anyone else!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...wha-what?
  8. Okay, if some people want the option of the concert then 25th-28th July gets my vote too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Yeah, well, we're not one step further now with all this lady talk.
    Never try to plan something when ladies are around. tongue wink

Point taken hon!No more interfering with the thread!You may proceed in planning the weekend.I wiil be a good and almost invisible girl in this topic from now own...shhhh sleep
  9. Okay, it has been 5 days since the last post on this topic and I'm trying to revive some of the early enthusiasm!!

I propose that the weekend of the 25th-28th July be the weekend that we should all try and aim for.

As it stands at the moment I'd be aiming to travel down to Bristol on the Saturday morning, arriving sometime in the early afternoon and meeting up with someone (anyone!!) that afternoon. Hopefully, there will be enough people around from here so that there can be a core group that are together - perhaps with people coming and going depending on their other commitments from then on into the evening and through into Sunday.

Hopefully this sort of arrangement could be continued throughout Sunday.

I'd be looking to hang around for a couple of nights and head back sometime on Monday - depending on what was happening on this day.

Possible "events" (to be interspersed between various hostelry breaks) so far include: BBQ, Doctor Who concert (at Royal Albert Hall on Sunday morning), visit to Bath...

I'd like to get an idea of people who have the intention of - at least at this early stage - attending?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008
    I'm pretty damn sure I could meet you early on the Saturday Alan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'll certainly be doing any Bristol-based events. I won't go to the concert but could go to London anyway, since it's such a good city, and just spend time with the concert-goers before and after the event itself.
  10. tomorrow I can see if taking some extra vacation is do-able, but I'm for the 25th-28th July as well, I would love to visit the concert and experience it with you guys wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Would the London stay be longer then just Sunday, or do we head back to Bristol on Sunday evening.

Anyway, I defenitely join for the proposed weekend and prbably will extend with a few days in Bath (right Tim and Timmer?).
    Kazoo