• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Nobody's mentioned what I think is his masterpiece... Iron Giant.

I wouldn't recommend that one to beginners. IMHO, it's a good score but a tough listen away from the film.

IMHO, the essential Kamen are...

Robin Hood
    Mr. Holland's Opus
    Lethal Weapon
    101 Dalmatians
    Don Juan Demarco

After that tackle the likes of...

The Three Musketeers
    Band of Brothers
    Die Hard 2
    Brazil
    and his AMAZING concert works - Concerto For Sax and Concert For Electric Guitar

And for something a bit more dramatic and quieter...

The Winter Guest
    Circle of Friend
    Inventing the Abbots
    What Dreams May Come

And for the hard core Kamen fans

The Iron Giant
    Event Horizon
    The Dead Zone
    X-Men
    License to Kill
    The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

I wouldn't recommend that one to beginners. IMHO, it's a good score but a tough listen away from the film.

Robin Hood
    Mr. Holland's Opus
    Lethal Weapon
    101 Dalmatians
    Don Juan Demarco

The Three Musketeers
    Band of Brothers
    Die Hard 2
    Brazil
    and his AMAZING concert works - Concerto For Sax and Concert For Electric Guitar

The Winter Guest
    Circle of Friend
    Inventing the Abbots
    What Dreams May Come

The Iron Giant
    Event Horizon
    The Dead Zone
    X-Men
    License to Kill

-Erik-

Cool; thanks, Erik! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Joking aside, you can do what you want. Just seems pointless to quote an already overly large post and makes it messy for anyone who might want to read the thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Joking aside, you can do what you want. Just seems pointless to quote an already overly large post and makes it messy for anyone who might want to read the thread.

And who might want to read the thread? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Robin Hood
    Mr. Holland's Opus
    Lethal Weapon
    101 Dalmatians
    Don Juan Demarco

The Three Musketeers
    Band of Brothers
    Die Hard 2
    Brazil

The Winter Guest
    Circle of Friend
    Inventing the Abbots
    What Dreams May Come

The Iron Giant
    Event Horizon
    The Dead Zone
    X-Men
    License to Kill

-Erik-

Why no Lethal Weapon?
    I would at least add that to the hard core.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    omaha wrote

Why no Lethal Weapon?

Erik Woods wrote

Robin Hood
    Mr. Holland's Opus
    Lethal Weapon

My mistake. Many thanks Steven! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    See? This is what happens when you quote overly-quoted replies, the forum breaks. But nooooo, nobody listened did they? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    is this page freaking out on anyone else?
    I think I broke it... :/
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    haha!
    awesome!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fixed it, no need to close the thread wink I always know the medicine to these things wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You beat me to it. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    so what happened?
    overload of some kind?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote
    See? This is what happens when you quote overly-quoted replies, the forum breaks. But nooooo, nobody listened did they? slant
    omaha wrote
    is this page freaking out on anyone else?
    I think I broke it... :/
    omaha wrote
    haha!
    awesome!!!
    Christodoulides wrote
    Fixed it, no need to close the thread wink I always know the medicine to these things wink
    Martijn wrote
    You beat me to it. sad
    omaha wrote
    so what happened?
    overload of some kind?

Who knows?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    some [ quote ] missing.

Listen to Steven.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    some [ quote ] missing.

Listen to Steven.

That's happened to me before too. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Robin Hood
    Mr. Holland's Opus
    Lethal Weapon
    101 Dalmatians
    Don Juan Demarco

The Three Musketeers
    Band of Brothers
    Die Hard 2
    Brazil

The Winter Guest
    Circle of Friend
    Inventing the Abbots
    What Dreams May Come

The Iron Giant
    Event Horizon
    The Dead Zone
    X-Men
    License to Kill

-Erik-

To your comprehensive list, all I would add is his wonderful New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms concert work - and of course, shift Iron Giant up to the very top! I've never found it to be a difficult listen at all. In fact, it's probably what turned me from being a casual fan of Kamen (with an obsession over Mr Holland's Opus) into a real devotee, and made me seek out as much of his stuff as I could.

One of the most tragic things about his early death is that he was really writing his best work in his final years. I quite like Robin Hood and moreso Three Musketeers, but the quality of the orchestral writing in his last half-dozen scores or so was on a different level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    One of the most tragic things about his early death is that he was really writing his best work in his final years. I quite like Robin Hood and moreso Three Musketeers, but the quality of the orchestral writing in his last half-dozen scores or so was on a different level.

He was one of those rare film composers that continuously wrote very good to great music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I keep coming back to TWO TV themes of his - BAND OF BROTHERS and FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON. How they soar, move, touch, awe-inspires, it's just incredible. I love them, and hate the fact that we won't see more like them. sad
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Although Erik mentions The Dead Zone as being for the "hard core" I have to mention it again so that it doesn't get completely swamped by all the other recommendations!

I may be biased as this was my first Kamen score, but I find this score to be one full of variety. It's at the same time unsettling and achingly beautiful. Watching the film always brings a tear to my eye - as does listening to the score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009
    Edge of Darkness is a great listen too. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Although Erik mentions The Dead Zone as being for the "hard core" I have to mention it again so that it doesn't get completely swamped by all the other recommendations!

I may be biased as this was my first Kamen score, but I find this score to be one full of variety. It's at the same time unsettling and achingly beautiful. Watching the film always brings a tear to my eye - as does listening to the score.

That was one of my early soundtrack CD's which I no longer own. I don't know how I would have felt about it today, but I didn't like it very much at the time. It was too "Howard Shorey", if that makes sense, i.e. too much brooding, droning soundscapes. Which makes sense, of course, as it was a Cronenberg film. I'd like to give it another chance today.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Although Erik mentions The Dead Zone as being for the "hard core" I have to mention it again so that it doesn't get completely swamped by all the other recommendations!

That was one of my early soundtrack CD's which I no longer own. I don't know how I would have felt about it today, but I didn't like it very much at the time. It was too "Howard Shorey", if that makes sense, i.e. too much brooding, droning soundscapes. Which makes sense, of course, as it was a Cronenberg film. I'd like to give it another chance today.

I think you'd still not like it now Thor, it's very much in the mold of Shore's 'brooding' scores for Cronenberg. Perhaps the best way to giive it 'another chance' would be to hear it in context with the film? Not a bad idea IMO as the film is one of the better King adaptations.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I think you'd still not like it now Thor, it's very much in the mold of Shore's 'brooding' scores for Cronenberg. Perhaps the best way to giive it 'another chance' would be to hear it in context with the film? Not a bad idea IMO as the film is one of the better King adaptations.

I saw the film many years ago, actually, and I liked it. It was revelling in a very uncomfortable mood that somehow had a kathartic effect (rainy, "grey" days and tone). The score worked brilliantly in context, no doubt about that (as do most Shore/Cronenberg efforts as well!).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Actually, Cronenberg wanted to work with Shore on this one, but he was forbidden by the studio.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009
    I remember liking The Dead Zone a lot, it's one of the more underrated (?) earlier Cronenberg efforts. The score is indeed very much like Howard Shore, plus it totally rips off something from Sibelius (can't remember what right now). Still, I like the score, it's a fine addition to Kamen's oeuvre in that it presents something slightly different than his usual style, I think. Basically it shows that it's not always a bad thing when a composer writes in another composer's style.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

indeed, in the movie the music is perfect
    but I'm having such a hard time to re discover that same magic when I listen to it on disc
    shame really, as it really is Kamen's distinctive style at work
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. http://www.scoringmixer.com/michaelkamen/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009

Awesome find, Justin! Finally a post worth a damn!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009
    You mean apart from Synphonette 5 obviously.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009

thanks for sharing dude wink