• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009
    JACK

When i first time heard this score, it just sounded so weird and boring to me but now, i have just fallen in love with this score. Most importantly, this is not typical Kamen's score but he tried something different here. Fantastic! In fact, i started listening to this score everyday. punk
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  1. 4 Reviews of a sorely missed composer

- Circle of Friends
    - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
    - The Three Musketeers
    - X-Men
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    I wonder why we've nearly never had a rerelease of a Kamen score after his passing? Robin Hood, for example, is way overdue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Robin Hood was nominated for a Golden Globe NOT an Academy Award.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. You should wrap that in proper coding:

[Jon Broxton] [/Jon Broxton]
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010
    ^applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Robin Hood was nominated for a Golden Globe NOT an Academy Award.

-Erik-

you're right shame

justin boggan wrote
    You should wrap that in proper coding:

[Jon Broxton] [/Jon Broxton]

slant biggrin
  4. BobdH wrote
    I wonder why we've nearly never had a rerelease of a Kamen score after his passing? Robin Hood, for example, is way overdue.

indeed, it's sad because there are several striking moment missing
    ah well, I'm pretty sure it will come soon enough
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited
    How much would The Iron Giant change my opinion of Michael Kamen (good but not great)?

My opinion of Kamen is based on:
    Robin Hood - not bad
    Brazil - decent
    What Dreams May Come - good
    101 Dalmatians - good
    Band of Brothers - decent
    Open Range - average
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  5. It won't. But there is great cue for the finale, right before the end credits.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited
    KevinSmith wrote
    How much would The Iron Giant change my opinion of Michael Kamen (good but not great)?

My opinion of Kamen is based on:
    Robin Hood - not bad
    Brazil - decent
    What Dreams May Come - good
    101 Dalmatians - good
    Band of Brothers - decent
    Open Range - average

It won't . Find a copy of Don Juan DeMarco and The Three Musketeers. Those were the scores that got me into the music of Michael Kamen. Those, and What Dreams May Come, and the Die Hard scores (HOLY GRAIL!!!!)
  6. If you don't like the song that accompanies Don Juan DeMarco don't bother with it. With that being the major melody throughout the whole score, and with that song having been way overplayed on the radio when it came out, I'm afraid my opinion of most of that score is tainted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    christopher wrote
    If you don't like the song that accompanies Don Juan DeMarco don't bother with it. With that being the major melody throughout the whole score, and with that song having been way overplayed on the radio when it came out, I'm afraid my opinion of most of that score is tainted.

That's a shame. It's such a romantic score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, don't like the songs? The songs are absolutely beautiful, also part of the plusses this score has and which makes me re-visit. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    KevinSmith wrote

uhm

Are your speakers broke? Kamen was a great composer. (Although admittedly his scores tended to work better within the films.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He hangs out with Gilles too much it seems tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Is a Michael Kamen/Queen combo of Highlander on the way from Intrada? A flurry of excitement over at the FSM messageboard thinks so.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is a Michael Kamen/Queen combo of Highlander on the way from Intrada? A flurry of excitement over at the FSM messageboard thinks so.

PLEASE let it be so!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's not Highlander as the clues state the while the score has a sizable orchestra there are no trumpets or horns in the orchestration!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    such is life slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. I wondered about that piece of information but don't know the score that well.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. False alarm people -- none of you actually thought a label would release a Kamen score, did you? tongue

(meant in the jokingly "such is life" sad commentary)

Aside from LLLR in a few months, that is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    But will it be a Kamen score which hasn't already been released?
  10. Yes, depending on how you want to see it, if rumors are true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  11. That must be the part that depends on how you want to see it. dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MOVIESCORE MEDIA TO RELEASE MICHAEL KAMEN’S FINAL OPUS
    Swedish label to share revenues from ’Back to Gaya’ with Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation

(January 5, 2012- Göteborg, Sweden) – Dedicated to the memory of one of the most gifted and popular film composers, Michael Kamen, the original orchestral score from the German fantasy animation Back to Gaya will be released on CD and online by Swedish soundtrack label MovieScore Media on January 24, 2012. In honour of the late maestro, MovieScore Media will share a portion of revenues generated by the album with Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation, which was founded by Michael Kamen in 1996 as his commitment to the future of music education.

The completion of the score for Back to Gaya was an extraordinary achievement by Michael Kamen’s team of producers, orchestrators and additional composers. Tragically and suddenly, in the midst of composing the music for the film, Michael Kamen passed away. Committed to fulfil the vision of Kamen, complementing the music he had written specifically for Back to Gaya with a selection of his unused compositions from previous film projects, a team headed by Kamens long-time associates Steve McLaughlin (producer/recording engineer) and Christopher Brooks (producer/music editor) finalized the score to fit the film perfectly.

”Although Michael had been suffering from MS for a few years before he passed away, his death came as a terrible shock and surprise,” McLaughlin said. ”He had only completed a few sketches of the Gaya score, and we hadn’t had a chance to talk about how he thought it would be produced. I had an idea of how we might finish it. Over the years I worked with Michael, I remembered many sketches that Michael thought had value, but that we’d never used, or given any prominence to, in a film. I thought we might find more music for Back to Gaya in that archive.”

Elaborate research and skilful additional composition, arranging and orchestration by team members such as Ilan Eshkeri (now a prominent film composer in his own right with films such as Young Victoria, Stardust and Coriolanus to his credit) and Robert Elhai (Kamen’s lead orchestrator for many years) resulted in a soundtrack that is pure Michael Kamen, according to the album producer, Mikael Carlsson. ”Although Michael wasn’t there to actually tailor the music to the picture, you can hear his voice in every single bar, every nuance, every phrase of the score. It is very melodic, highly emotional, elegantly orchestrated with extremely clear voice leading, sometimes intensely energetic but also often restrained and refined.”

The recording of the Back to Gaya became a very emotional and memorable experience for everyone involved. Performed by Michael Kamen’s favourite orchestra, the London Metropolitan Orchestra, the crisp recording brings forward Michael Kamen’s orchestral voice at its absolute best. ”All the principals of all the great London orchestras had come to play, and had brought their best instruments. The musicians loved Michael, and they’d come to pay their respects,” said Steve McLaughlin.

Featuring over one hour of music, the Back to Gaya album is the 11th entry in MovieScore Media’s ’Discovery Collection’ (previous titles includes Patrick Doyle’s Man to Man, Basil Poledouris’ The Legend of Butch and Sundance and Dario Marianelli’s I Capture the Castle). ”We are, of course, very proud to be able to bring this exquisit score to the attention and enjoyment of a world-wide audience. Michael Kamen’s music reached the heart of thousands of people and his music was very popular among soundtrack aficionados. Back to Gaya is a beautiful addition to any soundtrack collection and a wonderful tribute to one of the finest film composers ever,” said Mikael Carlsson, who has edited and produced the album and spent four years working on acquiring the rights to release it.

Honouring Michael Kamen’s initiative to support music education in American schools, a portion of the Back to Gaya revenues will go directly to the Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation. ”Just as MovieScore Media has produced this beautiful completion to Michael Kamen's musical vision through Back to Gaya, the team at The Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation works tirelessly to extend his legacy through putting instruments into the hands of kids across the country. By giving children access to music education, they will grow in many ways, which Michael knew better than anyone. We are honored to benefit from the sale of this beautiful score - it will help to drive the mission which Michael Kamen so wisely and so passionately established,” said Felice Mancini, executive director of The Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation.

Michael Kamen composed the music for over 60 feature films. Among his best known scores are the first three Die Hard films, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Brazil, X-Men, The Iron Giant, the four Lethal Weapon movies, Open Range, 101 Dalmatians, Mr. Holland’s Opus, What Dreams May Come, Last Action Hero and Hudson Hawk. He was nominated for two Oscars in the ’Best Song’ category, for ’Everything I Do I Do It For You” (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves) and ”Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman” (Don Juan DeMarco, both co-written by Bryan Adams and Robert John Lange. Outside the world of film, Michael Kamen was a versatile arranger and conductor who started out as the co-founder and leader of the New York Rock Ensemble and subsequently worked with such pop artists as Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Queen, Eric Clapton and David Sanborn. Classically trained at Juilliard School in New York, Kamen’s extensive knowledge of the classical repertoire was often reflected in his film scores.

Back to Gaya is an animated fantasy adventure where creatures known as the Snurks face imminent danger as someone has stolen the Dalamite, a magic stone without which Gaya is doomed. Two Snurks, Boo and Zino, embark on an exciting and dangerous journey to recover the stone. Produced and directed by Holger Tappe and Lenard Fritz Krawinkel, Back to Gaya was released by Warner Bros in Germany in 2004. The international version, entitled Boo, Zino and the Snurks, featured the voice talents of Patrick Stewart and Emily Watson. The film was dedicated to Michael Kamen.

MovieScore Media will release Back to Gaya (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) on CD and digitally online on January 24, 2012. The first CD edition is limited to 1000 copies.

MovieScore Media (http://www.moviescoremedia.com) has been nominated for the International Film Music Critics Association ’Soundtrack Label of the Year’ award five yearsin a row and has released original music from over 150 films on CD and digitally online. It is distributed in the UK by RSK Entertainment and in the USA by Screen Archives Entertainment. Recently, the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences nominated composer Ryan Shore’s album The Shrine, released by MovieScore Media’s sub-label Screamworks Records and produced by MovieScore Media’s Mikael Carlsson), for a Grammy in the ’Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media’ category.
  12. Fantastic!

I remember downloading a 15 minutes suite from Eshkeri's page at his old agency site.

I also remember how found Kamen was of his fans. Just the night before he died, as I recall, he made a long reply to a fan at his messege board.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    Wow! Nice one Mikael. Two very prolific releases so far this year (Doyle and Kamen). Next up Marianelli? wink
    Kazoo