• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009
    Erik Woods wroteHow uninspired. Shearmur or Beck would have been AWESOME choices.

-Erik-

Eh, Elfman's been on the comeback with good scores last year. Maybe he'll extend that magic this year for T4 and Wolfman, although I was genuinely surprised McG/Warners/Sony picked him to score T4. I thought for sure it'd be Beltrami, Beck or Shearmur on board.

I don't get the love for Brad Fiedel's scores for the first two films. I honestly don't. Beltrami's score for T3 was much better by comparison.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wroteHow uninspired. Shearmur or Beck would have been AWESOME choices.

-Erik-

Eh, Elfman's been on the comeback with good scores last year. Maybe he'll extend that magic this year for T4 and Wolfman, although I was genuinely surprised McG/Warners/Sony picked him to score T4. I thought for sure it'd be Beltrami, Beck or Shearmur on board.

I don't get the love for Brad Fiedel's scores for the first two films. I honestly don't. Beltrami's score for T3 was much better by comparison.

Again, listen to the T2 in the film. It's more than just music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote

-Erik-

It's as Erik said, I don't think it's love for the music as stand alone listen, Fiedel's scores for T1 & 2 are quite simply put "perfect", an essential part of those films that IMO work far better than an orchestral score could, those first two scores are organically linked with the films, the music IS those characters.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Danny Elfman will score it.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/01/09/ex … salvation/

I am really, really disappointed at the moment.

How uninspired. Shearmur or Beck would have been AWESOME choices.

-Erik-

Shearmur awesome. Beck, mmmkay wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

-Erik-

May I point you to the track "The Mall" from The Sentinel.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    I loved Marco Beltrami's music for T3, and believe it to be one of his better works. Assigning Danny Elfman is interesting compared to the styles of the two previous composers, but I would much rather have had Beltrami come back and pick up where he left off on T3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

You're right. The Sentinel is one of my favorite modern scores. But apart that whole score and Elektra, i don't think he did anything else that could put him next to Shearmur?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009 edited
    Brad Fiedel´s approach was a stroke of genius. And Bear McCreary proves with each new episode of The Sarah Connor Chronicles how well that style still works. That Elfman doesn´t know whether to include the original theme or not is a shame already.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Brad Fiedel´s approach was a stroke of genius. And Bear McCreary proves with each new episode of The Sarah Connor Chronicles how well that style still works. That Elfman doesn´t know whether to include the original theme or not is a shame already.

Very well said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

You're right. The Sentinel is one of my favorite modern scores. But apart that whole score and Elektra, i don't think he did anything else that could put him next to Shearmur?

I wasn't put him in the same league at Shearmur. I just thought it would be an inspired choice if McDouche picked either Shearmur or Beck.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    McDouche. biggrin biggrin
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    McDouche -- oh come on. Are you that angry about him directing T4? slant
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, but someone should be angry with him for bringing Charlie's Angels, and its sequel Full Throttle to the world. biggrin
  1. I think that Elfman could produce something quite good for this movie. He's shown in 2008 that he has some good stuff when he's provoked.

I'm a big fan of his score for Planet of The Apes. I'm sure that his score for Terminator 4 won't be as brutal as that but it could end up being something akin to this?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Matt C wrote

I'm not, but I love the name. It will stick from now on. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    I also prefer Shearmur for this project... just remember what he wrote for Reign of Fire... "meet van Zan" is very Terminatoresque (^-^)...
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Matt C wrote

I'm not, but I love the name. It will stick from now on. biggrin

"McDouche"

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    As much as I would have liked Shearmur to do it, I can't hold anything against Elfman after the year he's just had. Great news!
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Would have loved Beltrami to return, because I thought his style fit the Terminator series perfectly. Now Elfman will be taking over from Beltrami for the second time, and I wasn't THAT pleased by Hellboy II, stripping it completely of Beltrami's themes. So I have a pretty good idea, that neither the John Connor theme nor the original Terminator theme will be heard.

But still, Elfman COULD produce something amazing, but I think for him to do so, he would need to tone down his normal "over the top" style, and write something a little different. Something like "Cemetery Dance" from Ghost Rider (Christopher Young) - I especially like the guitars and choir on that track... I think something like that would fit a Terminator film set in the future smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Talos wrote
    I also prefer Shearmur for this project... just remember what he wrote for Reign of Fire... "meet van Zan" is very Terminatoresque (^-^)...

Couldn't agree more. When i thought of Shearmur doing a Terminator score, that's the track that came to mind. Most big-ass, awesome Shearmur composition to date. Very ballsy, excellent action scoring. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Meh, I don't really care to hear a Danny Elfman score for this movie. I hope the movie will be good enough to watch irregardless of the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Artworks wrote

Would have loved Beltrami to return, because I thought his style fit the Terminator series perfectly. Now Elfman will be taking over from Beltrami for the second time, and I wasn't THAT pleased by Hellboy II, stripping it completely of Beltrami's themes. So I have a pretty good idea, that neither the John Connor theme nor the original Terminator theme will be heard.

Hellboy II was good but nowhere as good as Beltrami's first one.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009
    Does anyone know why Beltrami didn't score Hellboy ll?
  2. 'cause the director had wanted to work with Elfman, and that was his chance.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Artworks wrote

Hellboy II was good but nowhere as good as Beltrami's first one.

His excuse for not hiring Beltrami for the sequal was lame....very lame/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. Another McDouche it seems wink
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote

-Erik-

Again, listen to the T2 in the film. It's more than just music.

-Erik-

I see what you're saying, but I'd go to the point of saying it's something other than music altogether. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
  4. Wow, now this is surprising news

I'm not happy, because I can't quite imagine what we will get now of actual sound. Plus the fact he's mentioning they might not insert the tune into the movie is an insult to the Terminator movies. Look at all the trailers, they all insert the theme because it is what Terminator STANDS for

Anyhoo, I hope Elfman can hack it, because this will be an interesting score to look forward at, but I don't think it will come off good. I expect another Hulk score shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh