• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2008 edited
    Just noticed that Intrada has another Signature Edition release of Holdridge's score for NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC: THE EXPLORERS - A CENTURY OF DISCOVERY up for order. It sounds excellent (almost like an IMAX score), particularly the opening cue and "Everest Ending".

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl;jsessioni … mp;id=5745
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2008
    Matt C wrote
    Just noticed that Intrada has another Signature Edition release of Holdridge's score for NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC: THE EXPLORERS - A CENTURY OF DISCOVERY up for order. It sounds excellent (almost like an IMAX score), particularly the opening cue and "Everest Ending".

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl;jsessioni … mp;id=5745

Holdridge is one helluva class act, I'd have ordered this already if money wasn't so tight.

Stuff like this interest me far more than the latest Zimmer or RC release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. BuySoundtrax has released his score to "Winterhawk":

http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/wiorsobyleeh.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009
    Lee Holdridge is a genius, and his thread deserves way more activity.

I'm currently playing "The mists of Avalon", and this score is just filled with awesome from beginning to end. punk

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good one Peter, it's been too darn long since I played 'Mists'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    Lee Holdridge is a genius, and his thread deserves way more activity.

I'm currently playing "The mists of Avalon", and this score is just filled with awesome from beginning to end. punk

Peter smile

Interesting note that Holdridge basically omitted almost all of the big, epic action tracks from the album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009 edited
    I didn't know that Erik? I haven't seen it. I wonder why they were ommited? To keep a 'flow' to the album!??
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I didn't know that Erik? I haven't seen it. I wonder why they were ommited? To keep a 'flow' to the album!??

Exactly. He didn't want it to be a big, epic, action album. I should did up the interview where he said that.

EDIT - Bingo!

"Of course we couldn't put everything on the album. It was a difficult choice as to what to leave off, and after talking to Bob Townson a couple of times, we decided we would stress more the romance and myth of the story, and leave a lot of the battle stuff off. As much as I love the battle music, you have to see the battle. We thought the audience for the CD would enjoy listening more to the story and character aspect of the score. So I did leave a lot of the battle scenes out, but there are a few bits in there so you can get a good taste of it." - Soundtrack.net

CLICK HERE
    for audio of Holdridge explaining the decision to omit certain cues.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    Interesting decision
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks Erik, interesting stuff!

Oh yeah, and I'll say it again, Holdridge is such a talent, his name really should regularly be on the big screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited
    I think it was a good decision. The CD is full of great stuff that I love dearly. The movie itself wasn´t bad either (at least a lot better than most other fantasy two-parters of that time, because some of the more disturbing ideas from the book survived (disturbing for the usual TV audience, I must add), and the music fits quite nicely, even with the New Age touch you guys are talking about over there at the Avatar topic.

I can´t say I miss anything of the battle stuff, and I would have been very dissappointed if other good stuff would have been omitted for it.

But they should have cut out the Loreena McKennitt song. As much as I love Loreena´s music, that specific song is not among my favourites, it was already on her original album The Mask & Mirror, and it doesn´t fit to the rest of the music, while the other song that closes the CD is much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Cool, Erik, didn't know that. I'm curious to hear what they left out, as I'm sure it's grand.

This score deserves a 2CD release for sure.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009
    One of Intrada's releases today sounds like it might be quite good, though I daresay it will get lost in the fuss. I've ordered it - Holdridge's In Search of Peace.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6012/.f
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Of the 2 Intrada releases today this is the one I'm more inclined to buy!
  2. Not skipping my attention, just can't afford it -- saving up for stuff next year. If not so limited, this would be a purchase for sure.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    justin boggan wrote
    Not skipping my attention, just can't afford it -- saving up for stuff next year. If not so limited, this would be a purchase for sure.

Wouldn't it be easier to purchase this one now and hold on the BTTF for next year? The latter isn't really limited so there's plenty of time.
  3. Anyone heard his 'I Have Not Forgotten You'?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  4. Intrada presents

WINSTON CHURCHILL: WALKING WITH DESTINY

Label: Intrada Signature Edition ISE1047
    Date: 2010
    Tracks: 19
    Time = 77:57

World premiere release of original soundtrack from Richard Trank documentary feature on famous British Prime Minister, focusing on defense efforts against Nazi Germany during war years and narrated by Sir Ben Kingsley. As with previous productions from Moriah Films, composer Lee Holdridge creates magnificent symphonic tapestry of times, emphasizing turbulence of WWII, struggle of Jewish peoples to survive overwhelming odds. Composer writes rich main themes to underscore people, events, then adds intense material for war itself. Massive 77-minute score presented complete from two-track digital stereo masters crisply recorded by Peter Fuchs in Bratislava. Lee Holdridge conducts Slovak National Symphony Orchestra. Intrada Signature Edition available while quantities and interest remain!

01. Funeral And War (Main Title) 5:00
    02. Chartwell 1:25
    03. Meeting Hitler 3:34
    04. Blood, Sweat, Tears 5:20
    05. Worse News 3:09
    06. Demand Our Fleet 3:54
    07. Dunkirk 3:55
    08. Homecoming 2:45
    09. FDR Speech 6:55
    10. Paris Falls 1:59
    11. Air Battle 3:37
    12. Spitfire Superiority 5:02
    13. Owed To So Few 1:12
    14. Underground 7:09
    15. Entertainment 1:42
    16. Flow Of Arms 2:09
    17. Ben Gurion 2:50
    18. Pearl Harbor 3:11
    19. Winston Main Theme - End Credits 2:40
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2012
    I thought the clips sounded really good so I ordered it. I then noticed that I've never even taken the previous Holdridge CD I bought (In Search of Peace) out of its shrinkwrap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2012
    Southall wrote
    I thought the clips sounded really good so I ordered it. I then noticed that I've never even taken the previous Holdridge CD I bought (In Search of Peace) out of its shrinkwrap.

shocked

DO. IT. NOW!

-Erik-
  5. Southall wrote

It's probably one of the greatest scores I own. Removed that shrink wrap.

Also, if you enjoy this new one, check out the previous one, "I HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN YOU
    : THE LIFE & LEGACY OF SIMON WIESENTHAL"
    , which is very low last I heard, somewhere below 50 copies left.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2017
    A re- release called East of Eden and other motion picture and television music of Lee Holdridge with Charles Gerhardt conducting the London Symphony Orchestra (the old Citadel release). A nice compilation of material especially if you're not familiar with him.
  6. Wow. That should be something. I see it's released by the BSX label. It's on discogs but nowhere else so far, as far as I can see.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    Wow. That should be something. I see it's released by the BSX label. It's on discogs but nowhere else so far, as far as I can see.

smile Volker

Here's more info on this amazing album, which was released back in 1985.

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=53928

-Erik-
  7. Thanks Erik. Turns out I already have this indeed amazing album (Varese). smile I was momentarily confused by different covers.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017
    Erik i right! I went and found the LP I had bought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017 edited
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/

new review
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2017
    https://wordpress.com/posts/sdtom.wordpress.com