• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2013
    Why, you guys are just a barrell of laughs, aren't ya?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Thor, I think you forgot to actually switch on your audio system and spent a happy evening listen to your tinnitus!

lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2013 edited
    *sigh*
    How dare anyone like a score that the MT gods have deemed unworthy! rolleyes
    It seems kind of hypocritical for you guys to ban people like Sunil and then go and laugh together at jokes that are, while less extreme in degree, of similar heartless-sounding spirit...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    *sigh*
    How dare anyone like a score that the MT gods have deemed unworthy! rolleyes

I don't like the sound of that!
    ...but I still greatly prefer it over the one from Jablonsky. wink

It seems kind of hypocritical for you guys to ban people like Sunil and then go and laugh together at jokes that are, while less extreme in degree, of similar heartless-sounding spirit...

That is simply ridiculous in the extreme, Matt.
    If you're honestly comparing wishing cancer on someone to stating a dislike to a certain CD calling it "a collection of noises", I would argue there's something very skewed about your sense of perspective.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This is weird, everybody jokes and teases each other around here, i don't see any insults or anything flying in here around our current members' circle though; what does this have to do with a fucktard like Sunil?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I do wonder, though, what all you PAIN & GAIN haters think of something like SPRINGBREAKERS -- the Martinez/Skrillex collab score. Personally, I like that too. It's INTELLIGENT dubstep with some really cool grooves, infectious melodies and epic chord leaps. But also with great stretches of beautiful atmosphere.

There are so many great inspirations in PAIN & GAIN that go well with my taste -- Trevor Rabin, Pink Floyd, various house artists, Daft Punk, Hans Zimmer, Rammstein and so on. If you're a riff lover (which I am), then this is THE THING! (I intended to say 'da shit!', but then someone would have made fun of that too).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Martijn, behave yourself. That one was nasty!

wink
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Did you take offense, Thor?
    If so, I'm truly sorry. The joke was meant at the score's expense. Not yours.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor, although the 'haters' thingy reminded me of the whole Bieliebers vs bieber haters, still i'll tell you that i did like Springbreakers. As i do like the whole body of Martinez's work; but you keep comparing PAIN AND GAIN to Martinez, what does it have to do with the later's work? 'cause they both have synthy bling blongs in it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Did you take offense, Thor?
    If so, I'm truly sorry. The joke was meant at the score's expense. Not yours.

No, no....of course I didn't take offense. I love the fact that everyone seems to hate this score while I adore it. Makes me like it even more. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor, although the 'haters' thingy reminded me of the whole Bieliebers vs bieber haters, still i'll tell you that i did like Springbreakers. As i do like the whole body of Martinez's work; but you keep comparing PAIN AND GAIN to Martinez, what does it have to do with the later's work? 'cause they both have synthy bling blongs in it?

Uhm, no. But there are many stylistic similarities between the two.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    It's INTELLIGENT dubstep

I have no experience with that score, and reading from your description, I'm not sure I'd want to... While I don't dismiss any style off-hand, the standard dubstep BPM is such thath it gets on my nerves within (quite literally) seconds.
    Yet I do greatly enjoy a good riff (I've been known to buy CDs based on one bar, riff or groove that I liked).

Martinez is very hit'n'miss for me.
    Skrillex (although having soe recollection of having heard the name before) is unknown to me.
    So all in all it's unlikely I'll change my current Delerue kick for this any time soon. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I love the fact that everyone seems to hate this score while I adore it. Makes me like it even more. biggrin

Now THAT's the Thor we know and love. wink
  2. All right then! kiss wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    So all in all it's unlikely I'll change my current Delerue kick for this any time soon. wink

He, he...yeah, that would seem unlikely. They're very far apart.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    If you're honestly comparing wishing cancer on someone to stating a dislike to a certain CD calling it "a collection of noises", I would argue there's something very skewed about your sense of perspective.

They were both jokes about debilitating medical conditions. Its not like Sunil actually wanted anyone to get cancer. He wasn't even a native English speaker and I'm sure he didn't realize how it came across.

If its now cool to call former members that some of us happened to like, "fucktards", then maybe I should get the fuck out of here too. Its not like anyone cares about my opinions on scores anyway, so what's the point. I don't even remember the last time anyone acknowledged a post I made in the NP thread. This site seems to have slowly turned into a little clique and while I love reading all of your thoughts, I obviously don't belong here as a poster.
  3. Martijn wrote
    While I don't dismiss any style off-hand, the standard dubstep BPM is such thath it gets on my nerves within (quite literally) seconds.

So far I've had the same experience with this genre. It's quite honestly the first style of music I've encountered that I literally cannot stand. Pretty much everything else I can tolerate if it's well done but there's just something about dubstep, no matter how "good", that makes me grind my teeth. I'm a little concerned, actually, because thus far there's been no style that I've had such a sweeping dislike for. I guess this is the moment when I start becoming a closed-minded cranky old man. tongue
  4. Scribe wrote
    They were both jokes about debilitating medical conditions. Its not like Sunil actually wanted anyone to get cancer. He wasn't even a native English speaker and I'm sure he didn't realize how it came across.

The difference being that tinnitus isn't life-threatening. And that's a BIG difference. You can make jokes about a minor illness that, correct me if I'm wrong, Thor isn't overly sensitive about. Certainly not about a life-threatening condition.

If its now cool to call former members that some of us happened to like, "fucktards", then maybe I should get the fuck out of here too. Its not like anyone cares about my opinions on scores anyway, so what's the point. I don't even remember the last time anyone acknowledged a post I made in the NP thread. This site seems to have slowly turned into a little clique and while I love reading all of your thoughts, I obviously don't belong here as a poster.

I've only been posting here for a few weeks but I certainly don't feel like I "don't belong." No offense, but you sound pretty melodramatic..."nobody cares about me" etc. I'm not sure where you're even coming from with all of this because I don't think anyone was implying that you don't belong or anything, just that you took a joke too seriously. And next time you post an NP of a score I've also heard, I'll be sure to comment. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    Martijn wrote

Mat, that's ridiculous.

For one (and to make this VERY clear): Sunil was banned for calling Erik a racist.
    Secondly: I cannot believe that you can possibly, by ANY stretch of the imagination, be serious about comparing tinnitus to cancer in the realm of "debilitating medical conditions'. Honestly, Matt. If you're serious about that, I am, for once, lost for words.
    Thirdly: I appreciate you trying to defend Sunil, but you're putting words in his mouth and thoughts in his head. He knew what he was saying as he was called on it, several times. But by all means don't take my word for it: go back and find that thread to see for yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    thus far there's been no style that I've had such a sweeping dislike for. I guess this is the moment when I start becoming a closed-minded cranky old man. tongue

cry

I have been found out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    It's INTELLIGENT dubstep

I have no experience with that score, and reading from your description, I'm not sure I'd want to... While I don't dismiss any style off-hand, the standard dubstep BPM is such thath it gets on my nerves within (quite literally) seconds.
    Yet I do greatly enjoy a good riff (I've been known to buy CDs based on one bar, riff or groove that I liked).

Martinez is very hit'n'miss for me.
    Skrillex (although having soe recollection of having heard the name before) is unknown to me.

Thor have you heard TRAPANESE's Tron?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have. I like that too, although not as much as Daft Punk's "original", obviously (it's the sound without the details, in a way...which makes it more soul-less). But I like Trapanese's TRON less than PAIN & GAIN!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. So, no I have listened to bits of it on YouTube. It's on the same level as 80s arcade games music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    I have. I like that too, although not as much as Daft Punk's "original", obviously (it's the sound without the details, in a way...which makes it more soul-less). But I like Trapanese's TRON less than PAIN & GAIN!

Yeah but it's more dubstep-y, no?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

Yeah but it's more dubstep-y, no?

It is, yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Love it, a good score! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm sorry. I'm having a horrendous day and seeing people being mocked (which apparently I misinterpreted) pushes my buttons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    beer
    We all have days like these from time to time.
  6. Goodness knows what people are listening to when they describe Pain & Gain in the negative terms that I've been reading over the last few days.

Never likely to see this film (have many of us who have been commenting on Jablonsky's score?) I can only assess it from listening to it. There's a certain vibe to tracks such as "Sun Gym", "Definitely Guys", "Run Him Over" and 3-4 others that stand out immediately as interesting and enjoyable tracks. And it all amounts to about 20 minutes of good stuff.

There's a good number of composers who, once people have got their talons firmly attached for producing music that doesn't quite reaches their expectation, just won't let go.

I am always being told that my standards are pretty low - particularly by my children. This must be another example of this because I just can't see the almost universal beating that Jablonsky seems to be being given.

"But then that's what makes this such an interesting pursuit, film music: everyone's opinions are different."
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013 edited