• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2014
    Big words do confuse me, this is true. In fact, I only figured out how to use the stove today!
  1. Well, Pawel's approach, combining academics in general with Michael Bay in particular, was a bit of a rollercoaster, but interesting nonetheless. Everything is connected with everything.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Steven, we get it that you hate Bay's work, but it doesn't make it any less viable for an academic discussion. And it's you who is so pro-science on this board, which makes your statements which ridicule any kind fo film theory discussion quite ridiculous, so news flash: it is viable for an academic discussion. It's viable for a technical discussion as well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Well, Pawel's approach, combining academics in general with Michael Bay in particular, was a bit of a rollercoaster, but interesting nonetheless. Everything is connected with everything.

Volker

I went off the tangent, because it's something that has bothered me for some time and got back with a vengenance yesterday. I am just doubting that academic discourse is a credible way of describing the world. I think, for some time, it has been mostly about self-preservation, though I am mostly basing it on humanities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2014 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, Pawel's approach, combining academics in general with Michael Bay in particular, was a bit of a rollercoaster, but interesting nonetheless. Everything is connected with everything.

Volker

I went off the tangent, because it's something that has bothered me for some time and got back with a vengenance yesterday. I am just doubting that academic discourse is a credible way of describing the world. I think, for some time, it has been mostly about self-preservation, though I am mostly basing it on humanities.

I see....well, if memory serves, we have another thread about academic ponderings and frustrations. Maybe it would be more suited there than in this film theory/Jablonsky/Bay debate -- which can be whimsical enough as it is. But I can't remember what we called it?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And it's you who is so pro-science on this board, which makes your statements which ridicule any kind fo film theory discussion quite ridiculous

Sometimes you make it too easy - I need only use the quote function to ridicule things.

(I know, I'm such a meanie.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Notice how no one is laughing

False! I've had a few chuckles out of this thread and not just from Steven.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2014 edited
    Academics and 'artists' can take out all kinds of serious philosophical theories and truths of life in all of its forms and stages out of virtually everything.

Anyway, what's fun to realize with all this discussion, is that now that Zimmer's music is actually that uninteresting and that bad* nobody even bothers to begin all those huge and long Z discussions of the recent past, he's been substituted in film score boards by other continuers of his work, i.e. Z clones. Long live Jablo, the new Zimmer! (btw i really like this score more and more with every new listen although i realize there's nothing virtually intelligent in it wink )

*when amazing spiderman 2 came out i used to like it on cd and gave it several spins but now, i don't know why, i almost can't stand it; when you hear things a bit more focused and well, as seriously as you can, i really think that together with Silvestri's crappy and awful Cosmos, they're perhaps some of the worst music for film etc i've heard this year beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Spider-Man 2 is one of the worst compiled Zimmer albums in recent history, but it doesn't take the value away from the music itself as is.

Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And it's you who is so pro-science on this board, which makes your statements which ridicule any kind fo film theory discussion quite ridiculous

Sometimes you make it too easy - I need only use the quote function to ridicule things.

(I know, I'm such a meanie.)

Sorry, humanities and academic art criticism, want it or not, is treated like a legitimate science. Leaving out the term only to natural sciences (Naturwissenschaften) was done away with in late 19th Century if not a few decades earlier.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Notice how no one is laughing

False! I've had a few chuckles out of this thread and not just from Steven.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Sorry, humanities and academic art criticism, want it or not, is treated like a legitimate science. Leaving out the term only to natural sciences (Naturwissenschaften) was done away with in late 19th Century if not a few decades earlier.

You really need to get laid.
  6. I'm not laughing at that one. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2014 edited
    Pawel has a perfectly legitimate point with that last post, and your personal attacks are getting tiresome, Steven (and your prejudices are shining through even more). I often enjoy your sense of humour, but I think you've been rather rude in this thread.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm not laughing at that one. slant

Because you had to do some film analysis as well, right?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. What's beautiful is that such awkwardly matched souls seemed destined to keep posting in response to each other. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

You really need to get laid.

And you really need to improve your manners.

Religion = metaphysics = aesthetics = humanities: All rubbish, right? Get happy in that cosy snail shell of yours.
  10. Thor wrote
    Pawel has a perfectly legitimate point with that last post, and your personal attacks are getting tiresome, Steven (and your prejudices are shining through even more). I often enjoy your sense of humour, but I think you've been rather rude in this thread.

So I saw the first Transformers again recently, because I remember having liked it. Except some really awkward scenes (no, Mr. Bay, Sam's mother concerned that her son might masturbate in the middle , it's one of Bay's best, with some of the best material being reserved for rather long takes (though the short takes reserved for a very awkward moment of editing when the soldiers are landing in Soccent).

Contrary to what you may think, I think Bay is actually concerned with the Hollywood part of the equation, but usually not exactly the best at it. When he does stuff like Pain and Gain (which I have to see yet, maybe tonight. I hope it won't ruin my good feelings that I had with Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which is one of the most intelligent blockbusters I've seen in recent years, and yes, I've seen that in preparation for Dawn, I think that film deserves discussion!).

Also, you claim that all the stuff comes from his advertising and music video experience. The thing is that I saw Bad Boys with commentary and he admits that a lot of his style in film comes from that experience, where a lot of the short cuts were informed not by his sense of aesthetics, but by covering the fact that they had a really low budget, even at the time, for something demanding such a scope (he claims that he actually fired his special effects guy after an atrocious piece of practical effect which was blowing the door to Tea Leoni's apartment in one scene, then he decided to get someone much more experienced). Of course, he did claim that the only rule of filmmaking is that you have NO rules whatsoever (which I agree to the point that there is a single limitation - the rules of what you do are informed by the rules of the world you create on screen).

What do you think of that, Thor? Let's just ignore whatever other people say and just discuss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What I think of the first TRANSFORMERS movie? I liked it. Perfect balance between the big effects and the domestically intimate, with a very pronounced sense of comedy. The comedy comes within in this film, while in something like PAIN & GAIN, the style is very much the comedy (if I have to choose, I'd rather have the latter).

No. 2 and 3 I found to be rather grating noisefests (though not without values), but no. 4 seems to hit the right buttons for me. They've weeded away some of the quirkiness of the first film, but at the same time avoided the HUGE money shots. There's plenty of destruction and poetic-balletic setpieces still, but there are no tumbling skyscrapers. The only qualm I have with it is that it's 45 minutes too long. Again, act structure and narrative is not what this film excels at. But the myriad of ideas in the first two hours -- audiovisual madness put into system! -- is something to behold.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I was asking precisely about the fact that Bay claims that a lot of his style comes from the low-budget character of Bad Boys and never actually refers to his advertising/music video origins (Ridley Scott on the other hand discusses how his advertising career influenced his approach to features).

What I saw of part three of Transformers improved on what was wrong with part two (aka everything).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I was asking precisely about the fact that Bay claims that a lot of his style comes from the low-budget character of Bad Boys and never actually refers to his advertising/music video origins (Ridley Scott on the other hand discusses how his advertising career influenced his approach to features).

Well, it's hard to speak for Bay, but that could very well be. Most likely a combination of the two. "Low budget" is certainly no longer an issue, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Bad Boys shows the trouble in the first sequence, when they're stealing the heroin. Bay states that they basically used all the footage of the respective takes. The sequence has no coherence whatsoever since it starts being a proper action scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's been a long time since I saw BAD BOYS (the 90s, I guess), but I remember liking it then and think I would like it still -- especially since I'm now more aware of his style and approach to things.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. It does have an element of restraint to itself, which is quite interesting. It's as crazy as he can be sometimes, but then it can have an element of visual restraint, in some moments allowing some performances (Joe Pantoliano!) to shine.
  14. PawelStroinski wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

No, because it was a very cheap shot in the general direction of "nerds never get laid," which stinks of anti-intellectualism and which I find pretty objectionable in general.
  15. Give me a shout when we get back onto Jablonsky's music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  16. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHWbsvgQUE
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2014
    My review of the new Transformers score album, in the unlikely event anyone's interested in what I think about Jablonsky:

http://www.movie-wave.net/transformers- … xtinction/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    My review of the new Transformers score album, in the unlikely event anyone's interested in what I think about Jablonsky:

http://www.movie-wave.net/transformers- … xtinction/

Gives new meaning to the phrase 'faint praise', that review.

This critic, however, LOVES Bay, so I'm delighted to prove the exception to your rule.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall