• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMichael Bay
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2014 edited
    Hi all. I'm Bay. Michael Bay.

explodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplode
    flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash
    flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash
    explodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeMICHAEL BAYexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplode
    explodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplode

I'm honored by this discussion. I agree for the most part though don't forget that my love for exploding cars comes from an accident I had with my bread maker. It should be no surprise to anyone that this event changed my life and my portrayal of movie explosions.

However, Steven, that last comment was not very nice. No need for such cheap shot.
  1. Oh and I will never work with Steve Jablonsky again. We had a fight over whether we would include Horn of Doom into some parts of the score. He blatantly refused to use it for every explosion. It would have highlighted the expansive nature of my scenes and world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2014
    Ha, ha.

I'm impressed by whoever went to the trouble of creating a new account just for this. Steven? Martijn?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think it's great to have a director here.

Michael, I see you refer to a discussion you had with Steve about the subtext of the score within the movie. Can you give some examples of other references within the music and the discussions and ideas you previously had together with Steve?

We had an interesting discussion about that some time ago (franz started it) but it died a little.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorMichael Bay
    Thor wrote
    I'm impressed by whoever went to the trouble of creating a new account just for this. Steven? Martijn?

That would be silly. I'm the real Bay. Michael Bay! Jesus Christ.

explodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeMICHAEL BAYexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplodeexplode
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Ha, ha.

Heavens no, I'm too busy trying to get laid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sorry, not me. I was getting laid at the time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It's unclear to me whether Bay is real or not.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That IS the real Michael Bay. How excellent that you are here.

Your films are utter shite man!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Ha, ha.

Heavens no, I'm too busy trying to get laid.

biggrin
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Michael Bay is Jesus Christ?
    That could make sense: The Horn of Doom is the Trumpet of the Last Judgment.
    And his father's Creation bears similarities to the son's films: Eternal warfare, explosions all around, nobody knows whats really going on and what's the sense of it.
    Repend! The End is Nigh.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Sorry, not me. I was getting laid at the time.

I thought I recognised you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked Even in my Michael Bay disguise?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Man, just when I was enjoying this thread, someone has to go and bring FSM into the fold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Michael, did you read my review of Transformers 4 - the score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Michael Bay is Jesus Christ?
    That could make sense: The Horn of Doom is the Trumpet of the Last Judgment.
    And his father's Creation bears similarities to the son's films: Eternal warfare, explosions all around, nobody knows whats really going on and what's the sense of it.
    Repend! The End is Nigh.

biggrin

It is Bay. Look at the signature. He's got the force with him.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Review of the 4th Transformers
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014
    One of my friends pointed out that the marketing people missed an obvious opportunity by not calling this film "Trans4mers" or some variant thereon.
  5. Southall wrote
    One of my friends pointed out that the marketing people missed an obvious opportunity by not calling this film "Trans4mers" or some variant thereon.

good point indeed smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014
    Yesterday Steve Jablonsky gave an explanation to why the latest Transformers score apparently was pulled from iTunes. It's a nice insight to some of the rules and legal stuff that goes into a releasing a soundtrack.
    https://www.facebook.com/SteveJablonskyOfficial?hc_location=timeline

I’ve received a lot of questions on Facebook and Twitter asking why the TF4 soundtrack was removed from iTunes. Here’s the short-ish answer: The AFM (American Federation of Musicians) has rules regarding soundtrack releases and re-use fees. One option they offer is the option to produce and sell 14,999 units without any additional re-use fees. Once sales hit 15,000+ units, additional payments kick in. The number 15,000 was chosen I believe because a good selling soundtrack generally sells around 5k-10k units, so this option provides most union film productions the opportunity to release a soundtrack and sell up to 15k units without incurring any additional re-use costs.

Now because you guys are so awesome, the TF4 score hit 15,000 units really quickly. I honestly had no idea the score had been pulled down until fans started contacting me asking why the soundtrack had vanished from iTunes, only a couple months after the release of the film. I suspected the 15k limit was the reason, a little investigation proved that to be the case.

Some of you have asked another great question: why are TF1 and TF2 still available? For both of those scores, the people responsible for paying the additional re-use costs chose to go ahead and pay them. In other words they allowed sales to go beyond the 15k limit. Different people are in charge of TF3 and TF4, and they have chosen not to pay the additional costs, which is why neither TF3 or TF4 are available any longer. It’s strictly an economic decision. The additional re-use costs can and do add up to significant numbers, especially with scores like Transformers. These movies are huge with a ton of score, and I hire a lot of very talented musicians to perform, which results in even higher re-use costs if we go beyond the 15k limit.

I have had many many discussions about this topic, unfortunately it is out of my hands because I am not the one responsible for paying the re-use fees. For those interested in a physical TF4 CD I believe La La Land records has some unsigned copies left (sorry the signed ones are all gone). After these are gone, the TF4 score will no longer be available. The TF3 score is already gone. My hope is that we will figure out a way to re-release in the future, but for now this is the situation.

This topic is very close to my heart. It’s really hard to put so many months of work into a score and then hear from people all over the world that they would love to purchase your music but they cannot because it’s not available. These are good people looking to buy this music, asking me what happened where did it go, and I don’t have a good answer for them. I’m hoping with more discussion we can find better ways to address this issue. I do believe there are better ways, where everyone can benefit without fans being left out in the cold because they didn’t buy the score fast enough.

thanks

Steve
  6. T4 sold 15,000 copies? I'm reminded of a scene from one of the Halloween episodes of "The Simpsons" where Maggie axes a guy i nthe back and pulls out her pacifier and says, "This is indeed a disturbing universe."
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. Maybe we should just be celebrating the fact that a film score (even a fairly weak and derivative one) is selling that well at all...?

Also, I wonder whether you've actually bothered listening to that score or are simply slinging mud because hey, it's a Jablonsky Transformers score, and in the snobbier circles of film music fandom those simply must be derided. slant
  8. I think it stems more from his irrational hatred of all things Hans Zimmer... And of course, Zimmer is who started Jablonsky's career...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Maybe we should just be celebrating the fact that a film score (even a fairly weak and derivative one) is selling that well at all...?

Word!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014
    BasilB wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Maybe we should just be celebrating the fact that a film score (even a fairly weak and derivative one) is selling that well at all...?

Word!

It's not even a bad score at all, compared to some of the stuff that passes for film music these days. And I say that as someone who is utterly exhausted by the current generation of RC music.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. It's a perfectly middle-of-the-road RC score. Not as ear-mangling as some, not as satisfying as others - rather pretty much exactly in between those two poles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2016
  10. My review of TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: OUT OF THE SHADOWS, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/06/17/teen … jablonsky/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2017
    Here is my take on Transformers: The Last Knight for who likes a decent read:

https://soundtrackworld.com/2017/08/tra … jablonksy/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2018