• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. another composer that was lost in the topic section, perhaps because he has so little to do of movies nowadays. However 2 of his finest scores are for these movies, and I've mixed the music behind the trailers of that. So excuse me for promoting my business here but they kick ass biggrin

Behind Enemy Lines (Airborne Rescue; Jet Smash & Burnett's Body) http://www.mediafire.com/?zfimmd4dho5
    The Matrix Revolutions (The Matrix Revolutions Main Title, Navras & Neodämmerung) http://www.mediafire.com/?wzfmb2tk6wj
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008
    After his superb work for The Matrix (not necesarily the trilogy, since I was kinda disappointed by Revolutions, and Reloaded was just fun), it is pretty surprising he hasn't got a lot more jobs nowadays. However, he also did the godawful score to Jurassic Park III, which might explain things...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008
    I think JP3 is very fine, Bob. Interesting why you think it's so godawful?
  2. I like the sections of JP3 that steer clear of the Williams themes. I think when those themes enter they don't come across very well. But the original material is quite fine, I thought.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008
    Don has been concentrating on his opera lately, hence the lack of big films recently.

mc
  3. I came across footage of Davis' concert in Tenerife:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMulZGPxFRs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCJjwUgfhMA

It would have been awesome to have heard "Neodämmerung" live!!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I came across footage of Davis' concert in Tenerife:

In the shadow of Mount Teidy cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Indeed!
    shocked shocked
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. The "Star Trek: The Next Generation" episode "Face of the Enemy", which he scored, is on.

It's the only Davis score I have liked and when a boot surfaced of the score a couple months back, I got it, so now I am making a tracklist.

The score is much like a TNG score, with a different feel since it's not a regular composer; much like "Enterprise" when Frizzell scored a couple episodes.

It's a little moody, with melodic lines and rumbling danger. It's a good effort.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote

HOLY CRAP THAT"S COOL! I've always loved The Matrix Trilogy score. Incredible work. He should have won an Oscar at least for his work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Too bloody sloooooooooooooooow!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. This is what I came up with for the score:

1. Waking / The Face of the Enemy (1:38)
    2. Someone Enters (0:16)
    3. Not Lying / The Bridge of the Enemy (0:54)
    4. "Set course..." (0:21)
    5. Back at the Enterprise (0:21)
    6. Speak to Picard + (0:20)
    7. The Secret Cargo (0:25)
    8. Vice Pro Counsil M'ret, Cargo / Spock's Legacy (1:18)
    9. Freighter Rendezvous / Vessal Destroyed (1:16)
    10. Arguing with Toreth / Enterprise Scans (2:14)
    11. Pacing (0:23)
    12. Another Plan (0:20)
    13. Setting A New Course / The Enterprise * (0:35)
    14. Enterprise Scans the Debris / Destroyed By Romulans (2:28)
    15. Getting Dangerous / Detection / Testing the Enterprise (3:22)
    16. Troi and Toreth Clash / Decloaking / Recognizing the Face of the Enemy / Traitor / Rescued / Sacrifice Not In Vein (8:17)

KEY:
    + = Variant; slightly different.
    * = Alternate; different than the version contained in the episode.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

HOLY CRAP THAT"S COOL! I've always loved The Matrix Trilogy score. Incredible work. He should have won an Oscar at least for his work.

Impressive performance and a very interesting find, thanks for sharing. I'd too agree that the tempo is VERY slow.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008 edited
    [deleted]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    Singer's not a bad director but the music in his films holds them back tremendously.

What's this got to do with Don Davis?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nothing, my bad. Fixed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I wish Don Davis was scoring this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, me too. I pasted the press release for those interested but sadly my interest in John Ottman is currently near zero levels.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh, me too. I pasted the press release for those interested but sadly my interest in John Ottman is currently near zero levels.

What John Ottman can get away with and still call music is beyone me. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Good p.r
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    What does everyone thing of Don Davis' House of Frankenstein? I think it's absolutely brilliant.

And I happen to like JP3 much more than The Lost World, in fact.

And Warriors of Virtue is another Davis powerhouse. But his true unappreciated gem is his work on the Beauty and the Beast TV show. That's probably the best TV writing I've ever heard, period.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    HeeroJF wrote

Woah, really?

dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, it IS a fine score and employs Williams' themes to a very fine effect.
    But to go as far as to say it's BETTER than Lost World...hmmmm. Depends on how much you like the original "majestic" Jurassic Park theme I guess, as that's revisited many times in part III.

I wish there would be a part IV.
    I'm in serious dino-withdrawal. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Received The Matrix DE in the mail today, I'm not a big fan of Davis, nor of all his Matrix-compositions though I like the original way this film was scored. It remains a totally unique score with a couple of standout tracks that supported the film tremendously, and for that reason alone I wanted to obtain a copy. Maybe I'll like this expanded release more than the original album which I gave a rating of 3 stars.

That said I'm having a hard time to get into Matrix Revolutions, apart from the obvious cue. So far my favorite of the three is still Reloaded for the Burly Brawl and Mona Lisa Overdrive. And the sweet is pretty suite. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Martijn wrote
    Well, it IS a fine score and employs Williams' themes to a very fine effect.
    But to go as far as to say it's BETTER than Lost World...hmmmm. Depends on how much you like the original "majestic" Jurassic Park theme I guess, as that's revisited many times in part III.

I wish there would be a part IV.
    I'm in serious dino-withdrawal. sad

they are making a part IV, not many other details besides that, I think Spielberg is back though (thank God)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008 edited
    Please Mr. Spielberg don't let Mr Lucas get his hands on JP IV, we don't need boring unnecessary characters, a humorless script or a totally ludicrous finale. If you know what I mean...

Any word on Williams reprising his role as composer? Would love to hear those classic themes reworked and revamped, however not like Davis did it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    DreamTheater wrote
    Please Mr. Spielberg don't let Mr Lucas get his hands on JP IV, we don't need boring unnecessary characters, a humorless script or a totally ludicrous finale. If you know what I mean...

Any word on Williams reprising his role as composer? Would love to hear those classic themes reworked and revamped, however not like Davis did it.

Spielberg should get a court order on keeping Lucas away from his films. And if Spielberg directs, be assured that Williams will be along his side.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Please Mr. Spielberg don't let Mr Lucas get his hands on JP IV, we don't need boring unnecessary characters, a humorless script or a totally ludicrous finale.

So lava flows and Jar Jar Binks is okay?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    LSH wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

Woah, really?

dizzy

I find Lost World's action moments really up to par to Williams' usual brilliance, but they're interspersed with just a little too many suspency moments to measure to Davis' action-fun-thrill-ride. It also helps I'm such a Horner nut, and Davis is famous for having drawn inspiration from Horner. Mind you, comparing the two is still like apples and oranges, and one is never too terribly far behind the other in my appreciation.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008
    Is there a reason why 'Switch' or 'Switched' is used in 10 of the 30 tracks names from The Matrix deluxe edition?