• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. What the topic title says really. Everyone has different musical tastes within the film music territory, yet not everone stays in it. What are the kinds of music you like to listen to other than what you keep returning to this forum for?

I've always liked rock / metal singer-songwriters or bands that write powerful music:
    - Meat Loaf: his 3 Bat out of Hell albums are simply awesome, thanks to songwriter Jim Steinman
    - Chris Cornell from Soundgarden and Audioslave: favourite vocalist ever, I can listen to him singing for hours, I secretly hope for a Soundgarden reunion in my lifetime.
    - Iron Maiden (when I was younger I was a big fan, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is brilliant)
    - Guns 'n' Roses for the two sister albums Use Your Illusion I and II.
    - Metallica (The Black album and onward). Their older stuff is harsher and some would say better.
    - Recently I discovered Dream Theater, which has become my favourite band. These are simply astonishing musicians who have yet to disappoint me. When you know their longest recorded song clocks in at 42 minutes yet stays fresh the whole time through, you get the idea.
    - I also like the gothic / symphonic metal band Within Temptation.

To stray away from rock, Michael Jackson has been returning regularly on my playlist as well. His stuff from the 80s and 90s just remains rock (pop?) solid. There's no denying the amount of hits this man has done, and I just love his performances, stage presence, and voice which are second to none.

I've always had a soft spot for 80s pop hits, and there have been quite a few. It was the time when I was just a boy growing up, unknown of the radically changing world we get to live in when we grow up. The music reminds me of a time that was slightly less complicated and dare I say it, more memorable (for me at least).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008
    Cripes, I love loads!! I'll be back to this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008 edited
    Good initiative for a thread, DT, but I have to say I fear yhis has wayyyyy too much potential to get bogged down into another List Of Favourites topic, expecially with the prolific tastes of certain members -myself included- in styles and genres of music!

So let me limit myself to pop/rock only and then only those bands that are relatively new discoveries for me which I find I keep returning to!

So far for me those would be
    The Dandy Warhols
    I love their trip-rock, irreverent stylistics. Not everything they do is equally good (and almost everything is massively selfindulgent), but when they're good, they're really good! Their breakthrough hit Bohemian Like You a massive standout, but the whole Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia is fantastic. The "special edition" bonus CD Seven Tales for Urban Australia features a fantastically trip-funk version of Bohemian Like You and the most surreal cover of any hard rock song ever (AC/DC's Hell's Bells)

their earlier albums Dandys Rule, OK? (1995) and …The Dandy Warhols Come Down (1997) are equally enjoyable! Their later ones less so, as they get into a rut.

Morcheeba
    Absolutely brilliant jazz-rhythm&blues-electronic-acid-rock fusion music. Love all their albums, with their 2005 album The Antidote a standout.

--- Interestingly I was drawn both to The Dandy Warhols and Morcheeba first by the use of their music in TV commercials!

I like a lot of what Moby does, with the -admittedly more commercial and crowdlpeasing- Hotel a standout for me. Not a poor song on the album, and dreamily danceable to boot! Works for me

I have also been singing the praises lately of Kate Nash's dark but funny and rocky debut album Made From Bricks (she's gonna be a stayer!) and Duffy's Motown-ish Rockferry (very fearful she may be a one-trick pony or worse: a one-day fly, but at least it's left us with an enjoyable album).

A big, BIG recommendation for the fans of electronic-world music fusion is Zuco 103, a Dutch-German band with some notoriety that makes hugely enjoyable, very 'summery' fusion music that incorporates a lot of Brazilian influences, together with electronics and different styles of world music, summarily labeled as 'Brazilectro-sound'. I love it!
    Check it out
    !

Also recommended for fans of the offbeat combination of funk/hip-hop/beat poetry-electronics, check out the up and coming My Head Radio. They combine some vicious, Kerouac-style beat poetry (though less esotheric, and a lot more acidic) with some awesome trip-hop funk beats. They've got an EP out, but all their stuff is downloadable. I seriously recommend checking them out (though it's NOT something you put on as background music).
    I especially like Patriotism and Falling Amazing.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Let's see.

My all time favorite band is GUNS N' ROSES and they created one of the very best albums of all time with APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION. Every song is brilliant!

I'm also a big fan of the acoutic version (and original version) of CRAZY on LIES. Actually, all four acoutic cues from that album are excellent!

USE YOUR ILLUSIONS I and II are good but if you took the best of the best from each album and compiled them onto just one album you would probably have Gn'R's next masterpiece.

And I also concider Gn'R to be one of the VERY best cover bands of all time. Their versions of LIVE AND LET DIE, KNOCKIN' ON HEAVEN'S DOOR, the entire A Side of LIES, and SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL are just as or even BETTER than the originals. My father is a HUGE Stones fan and HE prefers Gn'R's version of SYMPATHY.

-----

MEAT LOAF's "BAT OUT OF HELL" is my all time favorite album. I found my father's LP as a young child and spun that thing to death. The song BAT OUT OF HELL is also my all time favorite tune.

-----

PEARL JAM came out of the GRUNGE era as my favorite band from the early to mid 90's. Not a big fan of their later work but TEN and VS stand as their best work to date, IMHO.

-----

The HEADSTONES was a great and energetic Canadian band that my brother introduced me to. I saw a couple of their shows and they were outstanding. Their remake of TWEETER AND THE MONKEY MAN is a fav.

-----

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE is some hard hitting shit! "Killing In The Name" is a great track to BLAST!!!

-----

I also have a love affair with late 80's, early 90's Hip Hop. Stuff from NWA, Black Sheep, Beastie Boys, Boogie Down Productions (KRS-One), Ice Cube, Naughty By Nature, etc... that stuff is really, REALLY good!

-----

For some Rock with a lot of soul I spin The Black Crowes Greatest Hits. "She Talks to Angels" - "Jealous Again" and "Hard to Handle" are favs.

-----

And how can you forget Ac/DC. The Chipmunks as my mom calls them. I appreciated their music but it wasn't until I saw them in concert did I GET IT! The live version of "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)" with the live 21 canon salute was mind blowing! "Thunderstruck" is still my fav tune of theirs.

Those are just some of my favs.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Let's see.

My all time favorite band is GUNS N' ROSES and they created one of the very best albums of all time with APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION. Every song is brilliant!

I'm also a big fan of the acoutic version (and original version) of CRAZY on LIES. Actually, all four acoutic cues from that album are excellent!

USE YOUR ILLUSIONS I and II are good but if you took the best of the best from each album and compiled them onto just one album you would probably have Gn'R's next masterpiece.

And I also concider Gn'R to be one of the VERY best cover bands of all time.
    -Erik-

COULDN´T. AGREE. MORE! punk beer
    Best band EVER.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Some of my favourites:

RADIOHEAD - amazing rock band with a unique sound.
    KEANE - at least their first album which had a striking sound, all pianos, drums, bass - no guitars.
    JAMIROQUAI - just doesn't get funkier today.
    STEVIE WONDER - his early 70s stuff is fantastic.
    HERBIE HANCOCK - his mid 70s stuff (Watermelon Man, Palm Grease etc) is super.
    ANE BRUN - a Norwegian singer/songwriter who is going to be a world star in a few years.
    DEPECHE MODE - just love them.
    INCOGNITO - incredibly prolific acid jazz band.
    PORTISHEAD - looking forward to their new album soooo much - worth the long wait!

mc
  2. I wouldn't call G'n'R the best band ever but they sure made an impact in the music business and managed to make hardrock sound cool. I also like Appetite for Destruction though I prefer Use Your Illiusion more. Axl Rose has more vocal range here than he ever had and the production of the albums is perfect (those drums!!!). And who can forget Slash's guitar solos on November Rain and Estranged (two of my favourites). And it's strange but I always get a kick out of Get in the Ring, with its obscene language. But that's what they are known for I guess: hard hitting tunes that don't beat around the bush, at least censorship doesn't exist in their dictionary so you've got to respect that.

moviescore wrote
    Some of my favourites:

KEANE - at least their first album which had a striking sound, all pianos, drums, bass - no guitars.
    JAMIROQUAI - just doesn't get funkier today.
    DEPECHE MODE - just love them.

mc

Keane, sounds like Coldplay (another good one) but without the guitars. Their debut album Hopes & Fears is too beautiful for words.
    Jamiroquai, no albums here though I always liked his style. Some funky outfits / hats this dude has.
    Depeche Mode, yes pioneers of the industrial pop sound, Some Great Reward I still have on record.

Erik Woods wrote

PEARL JAM came out of the GRUNGE era as my favorite band from the early to mid 90's. Not a big fan of their later work but TEN and VS stand as their best work to date, IMHO.

Same here, I never cared for their later stuff, but Ten is legendary and to a lesser extent VS (though still good). When I got Ten I couldn't stop playing it, it's simply incredible. That one and Superunknown by Soundgarden are classics where I'm concerned.

Other bands / artists that I failed to mention but are gold in my book: The Cranberries with Dolores 'love her or hate her' O'Riordan (I love her) , Hooverphonic (belgian trio that screams for international acclaim, I kid you not), The Verve (Urban Hymns being their breakthrough & breakup album, sadly). Richard Ashcroft's warm voice has since gone solo, so it's not lost.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008 edited
    Nothing gets me more then Sigur Ros!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008
    Aaargh....I wouldn't know where to start!

I'm a completist (which translates as HUGE FAN) of the following artists/groups: Supertramp, The Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, Jean Michel Jarre, Oingo Boingo and Rammstein. In general, I like 70's and 80's prog rock, "classic" rock a la Creedence or Jerry Lee Lewis, vocal surf pop a la Beach Boys, etc.

Lots of electronic music as well, ranging from pioneers such as Jarre, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Kraftwerk to 80's electropop such as Hammer or Faltermeyer or Moroder to more experimental, industrial stuff like Einstürzende Neubauten or SPK or Future Sound of London to funky 90's "DJ" house/prog trance such as Oakenfold, Tiesto, Van Dyk, Max Graham, Underworld to "goa" psytrance a la Juno Reactor, Astral Projection, Shpongle etc.

Oh, and I also love classical music, lots of jazz and some contemporary rock/pop.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008
    I'm often known for my general dislike of most modern mainstream music so the majority of what I do like came before my time, across all genres. There are exceptions of course and I am partial to some contemporary rock, electronic downbeat or alternative stuff.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    - Metallica (The Black album and onward). Their older stuff is harsher and some would say better.

I really think you should give their earlier albums a chance. Their debut album is kinda crap to my ears, but "Ride the lightning", "Master of puppets" and "Justice for all" are each as good as the black album, if not better.

I used to be a Metallica-, Radiohead- and The Connells fan, until I discovered film music. I don't listen to non-film music anymore so can't contribute further to this topic.

Peter cow
  3. I'm a fan of all sounds and genres but these are at least my favorites

- Keane: great songs and while the second isn't as good as the first, both albums have loads of good songs
    - Nightwish: my god their Once album is sublime, and Amarath the song is one of the very best they did
    - Queen, Michael Jackson, Meat Loaf, Bon Jove, all those '80 groups and songs
    - Within Temptation has good music

Argghh there's so much good music out there, its tough to chose wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PRODIGY.RULE.BIG.TIME!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    I used to be a Metallica-, Radiohead- and The Connells fan, until I discovered film music. I don't listen to non-film music anymore so can't contribute further to this topic.

Heh...almost every Danish guy I've met have been a Metallica fan. Could it be because of the Lars Ulrich connection?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    PRODIGY.RULE.BIG.TIME!

Agreed! I was just now listening to "Firestarter" (the Imperial Mix). Cool stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Try the Orinoco Flow/Smack My Bitch Up Enya-Prodigy mash-up for some truly inspired listening!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I really like a lot of prog rock, metal and gothic music.

I absolutely love AYREON. Several albums written and performed (in part) by Arjen Lucassen and sung by various artists. Just brilliant stuff that encompasses a variety of musical styles.
    Into The Electric Castle, The Human Equation and this year's .01011001. are my favorite albums.

I also like Dream Theatre and Nightwish. Just to name a few!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    PRODIGY.RULE.BIG.TIME!

Cool! punk But is that all?

I like a lot of the artists already mentioned. I've always been into popular music from Bing Crosby to Frank Sinatra to Elvis to The Beatles to Led Zeppelin to Pink Floyd to The Jacksons to Stevie Wonder to Kate Bush to Basement Jaxx to Jamiroquai the list is endless....

To be a bit different here's some that I CAN'T STAND!

COLDPLAY
    KEANE
    THE HOOSIERS

All a bunch of wet, noodle armed nancies! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I quite like Coldplay in small doses. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    Heh...almost every Danish guy I've met have been a Metallica fan. Could it be because of the Lars Ulrich connection?

You could be on to something.

Though personally I became a fan as a kid after I heard someone play the black album, so Lars' nationality didn't have anything to do with it in my case.

Peter cow
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PRODIGY.RULE.BIG.TIME!

Cool! punk But is that all?

I like a lot of the artists already mentioned. I've always been into popular music from Bing Crosby to Frank Sinatra to Elvis to The Beatles to Led Zeppelin to Pink Floyd to The Jacksons to Stevie Wonder to Kate Bush to Basement Jaxx to Jamiroquai the list is endless....

COLDPLAY
    KEANE
    THE HOOSIERS

Apart from Kate Bush and Basement Jaxx, I completely agree with everything you just said. I hate Coldplay, so f*cking boring!

Edit: and The Beatles. Overrated.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Prodigy
    Amon Tobin
    Big Boss Man
    The Propellerheads

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

Yeah, like Bach.
    Or penicilin.
    rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeah, like Bach.
    Or penicilin.
    rolleyes

Exactly. You're learning!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I wonder if your newfound lifestyle may have, well, skewed your view of reality?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    I wonder if your newfound lifestyle may have, well, skewed your view of reality?

Actually, you may have a point there. Sometimes I find myself actually slightly enjoying The Beatles whenever it's played at the bar! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...but only very briefly mind. Heavens above.
  4. Goodness, this is going to show up how little I've listened to anything other than film music over the past few years!! 'Cause most of my "likes" are not very recent!!

THE SMITHS: One of my all-time favourite bands from when I was a student in Manchester ('86-'90). Cheered this lonely student in a bedsit no end!
    THOMAS LANG: Also from when I was a student in Manchester - he's great to listen to live. And I still enjoy his style to this day. A couple of videos on YouTube if anyone hasn't heard of him.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFVxYLKPuwM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mFEKcdjPH4
    JEAN-MICHEL JARRE: Been a fan since OXYGENE though his more recent stuff were projects that I didn't enjoy so much. His CHRONOLOGIE was somewhat back to his great period.
    GRAVITY KILLS: First came across this band from the SE7EN soundtrack CD!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UlLkuxnARE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbcLpP5YrWw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5l6rskLb2U
    LIMP BIZKIT: Some great listening with them - though I need to be in the right mood
    MEAT LOAF: His album Bat Out of Hell is an awesome disc. I remember travelling from Falkirk to the northern coast of Scotland (to Bettyhill) and listening to this album for the first time and then again and again until we reached out destination. Thanks to Mr. Stewart our biology teacher!!
    THE BODEANS: A band that I saw in Manchester (on the same bill as Thomas Lang) that produced some really excellent tracks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQfwpsp2s-o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxnDEOIqxag

Some great tracks but on listening to the albums I wasn't so keen:

FILTER: "Hey Man, Nice Shot" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMJVpn4BM_Y
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008
    Steven wrote
    ...but only very briefly mind. Heavens above.

What albums by the Beatles have you heard?

....and overrated shocked LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008 edited
    plindboe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I really think you should give their earlier albums a chance. Their debut album is kinda crap to my ears, but "Ride the lightning", "Master of puppets" and "Justice for all" are each as good as the black album, if not better.

Peter cow

Well I didn't start with their pre-Black album stuff, so that's why I don't like 'em as much, though I own all 4 of them. My faves are Ride the Lightning and And Justice for All. And the fans would sure beat me up, but I'm quite fond of their radical change in style for Load / Reload, which to me sounds a more melodic, soothing Metallica, though they have still some punk punk stuff on there.

Timmer wrote

COLDPLAY
    KEANE
    THE HOOSIERS

Well I CAN STAND. Good melodic comtemporary pop music, at least the singers stand out of the pack.