• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. update
    Franz joins us and it seems he is human after all, he pushes dear young Bregt of the third place. Ranietz joins our community and shows he does knows some scores smile And message to Bregt, for the sake of MainTitles, don't be 4th wink

Playing this Game: 10

2. Jupe: 22 points
    3. Franz_Conrad & Ranietz: 21 points moon
    4. Bregt: 20 points
    5. DreamTheater: 18 points
    6. The Grey Pilgrim & Southal: 17 points
    7. Plindboe: 15 points
    8. FalkirkBairn: 10 points

Guessed the Bonus: The Grey Pilgrim, FalkirkBairn, Bregt, Franz_Conrad & Ranietz punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2008
    Weeeeee! I got 12 points! cheesy
  2. Ranietz wrote
    Weeeeee! I got 12 points! cheesy

But I think you can do better. I believe in you bud wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2008
    I'll hopefully have a second try tomorrow evening, otherwise, I'll just do it with 20. smile
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote
    I'll hopefully have a second try tomorrow evening, otherwise, I'll just do it with 20. smile

better do it Bregt, because Ranietz upped his points to 19 wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008
    Exam week. I'll give this a shot this evening (US time) if it's open until then.
  4. I'll keep this game going until tuesday, it seems more people wanna join and kick Bregt's ass tongue
  5. update
    Jupe is now equally first, Franz with DreamTheater for second. Considering BhelPuri is gonna send his answers in about 7 hours, I'll leave it open until tomorrow. So whoever wants to do a final stab at first place, send me your final and last answers! 1 more mail you guys, bundle them together

2. Franz_Conrad & DreamTheater: 24 points cheesy
    3. Ranietz: 23 points
    4. Bregt: 20 points
    5. The Grey Pilgrim & Southal: 17 points
    6. Plindboe: 15 points
    7. FalkirkBairn: 10 points shame

Guessed the Bonus: The Grey Pilgrim, FalkirkBairn, Bregt, Franz_Conrad & Ranietz punk
  6. OK, one final try, this could improve my score somewhat.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Considering BhelPuri is gonna send his answers in about 7 hours, I'll leave it open until tomorrow. So whoever wants to do a final stab at first place, send me your final and last answers! 1 more mail you guys, bundle them together

Ps, word on who's doing the next one?
  8. Game Closed, here are the winners of this game

Congrats to TomTom and Jupe for winning this game. If late arrivallist BhelPuri could have guessed the bonus, he however would have won. Alas he didn't sad
    Nonetheless everybody almost surpassed Bregt so I thank you for teaching him a well tought lesson tongue biggrin

2. BhelPuri: 27 points smile
    3. Franz_Conrad & DreamTheater: 24 points moon
    4. Ranietz: 23 points
    5. Plindboe: 21 points
    6. Bregt: 20 points
    7. The Grey Pilgrim & Southal: 17 points
    8. FalkirkBairn: 10 points shame

Thanks for playing, hope to see you here next year
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008
    Thanks for the game - see you next year! I never got around to submitting a second set of guesses, sadly.

Are you going to give the answers?
  9. And here are the winning lottory numbers

1. Das Boot (1981) by Klaus Doldinger (still purchasable at Screen Archives)
    For a moody score, this track surely gets the blood pumping. Doldinger's famous insertion of the theme here is a winner in all categories. This track is called "Engines Running"

2. Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986) by Joe Hisaishi (still purchasable at Screen Archives)
    Fun, catchy and so downright inventive. It could only be Joe Hisaishi. This track is called "A Mining Town"

3. Triumph of the Spirit (1989) by Cliff Eidelman (still purchasable at Screen Archives)
    One of the very first scores by long forgotten composer Cliff Eidelman, and yet still one of his best. The soaring theme and the choral cry for emotion are simply a perfect match. This track is called “Main Title”

4. Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time (1991) by Robert Folk (still purchasable at Screen Archives)
    I always liked Folk’s style and one of most soaring themes is for the dud Beastmaster 2 film. The 10 minute track is having this final main theme statement, but what a whopper of a track it is. This track is called “Dar the Hero”

5. Wyatt Earp (1994) by James Newton Howard
    It seemed a lot of people didn’t get the fish man hint and yet that was simply Waterworld (JNH’s biggest score). Before that he wrote a wonderful score for Wyatt Earp and one of the many soaring moments is heard here. This track is called “Nicholas Springs Wyatt”

6. Terminal Velocity (1994) by Joel McNeely (still purchasable at Screen Archives)
    Proof abound that Joel McNeely needs better orchestral efforts. Terminal Velocity is a kick ass ride at times. But it’s all fine and relaxing when we hear this resolving finish. This track is called “Russian Gold”

7. A Little Princess (1995) by Patrick Doyle (still purchasable at Screen Archives)
    I basically put the title in the tip, because the theme isn't exactly Doyle sounding. But what a beautiful theme for a beautiful score nonetheless. This track is called "Touched by an Angel"

8. Fly Away Home (1996) by Mark Isham
    One of Isham's most endearing scores is for Fly Away Home, and the theme he establishes here shows why. Sadly so far this score is still unreleased and I wonder why because it surpasses 80% of released Isham scores like that. This track is called "First Flight"

9. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996) by Alan Menken
    Ahhh, Menken's score is finally not childlike at all. One of Disney's most mature or even inappropriate creations for children receives one of Menken's best. Believe me but the choral work over the entire score is simply awesome. This track is called "Paris Burning"

10. Moll Flanders (1996) by Mark Mancina
    Alongside Bad Boys came Moll Flanders. And it captured a stunning main theme and this great suspense cue. Shows Mancina is still one of the earliest and probably best MV composers that can hack it. This track is called "Sparrows"

11. Oscar and Lucinda (1997) by Thomas Newman
    He does it too few but when he does it, it's heavenly. If the years weren't an issue I would received a lot of Angels in America responses. But this unheard of film receives the treasure of one of Newman's most heavenly choral cues. This track is called "The Church of Glass"

12. G.J.Jane (1997) by Trevor Jones
    The old famous Suck my ... quote. Well she didn't look pretty in this movie but I think many wouldn't mind. One of the few Ridley Scott movies that didn't have a MV composer, perhaps that's why it sounds so MV alike. And that's why it was probably used in the trailer of Armageddon. This track is called "Endurance"

13. Durango (1999) by Mark McKenzie (still purchasable at Screen Archives & Intrada Records)
    A beautiful soaring theme made me introduce for the very first time to Mark McKenzie's music. A really good old fashioned dramatic score with such melodies is always a good thing. This track is called "Durango Suite"

14. Animal Farm (1999) by Richard Harvey
    This is one of the few soundtracks I recommend to everybody, because it holds something of everything. A bold, lush, orchestral, choral score with many themes and many moments. But above all a main theme that is amazingly good. You heard it here, now hear the rest. This track is called "End Titles"

15. Dungeons & Dragons (2000) by Justin Caine Burnett
    To my knowledge nobody guessed this and I understand why. Perhaps they knew that Hans meant Hans Zimmer but everybody looked for a video game, and not a film of the video game. Put alongside it the fact the movie was heralded bad and you have the reason why no one guessed this. Nonetheless the orchestral score received a CD release and it proves the young man has skills, the sad fact is that he never showed it in another film. This track is called "The Maze"

16. Journey of Man (2000) by Benoit Jutras
    Again a hard nut to crack. But what a wonderful score. This CD of a movie version of Cirque du Soleil's received one orchestral pleaser and long time collaborate composer Benoit Jutras showed he could compose too.. This track is called "Journey of Man (Instrumental)"

17. Spirited Away (2001) by Joe Hisaishi (still purchasable at Screen Archives)
    If they guessed the 2nd cue, they immediately found this cue. One of Hisaishi's finest scores of all, Spirited Away is a breeze to hear. This track is called "Procession of the Gods"

18. Kilimanjaro: To the Roof of Africa (2002) by Alan Williams (still purchasable at Screen Archives & Intrada Records)
    The name was easy, but almost everyone guessed Amazon. True it's perhaps his most known. But this theme is a wonderful one too and it makes the album so much better. This track is called "Main Title"

19. Intolerable Cruelty (2003) by Carter Burwell (still purchasable at Screen Archives)
    The name of the cue was in the tip and yet most people missed it. I understand Burwell's not the most adored composer but I love his style, his sound. This is typically him. This track is called "Love is Good"

20. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005) by Joby Talbott (theme by Eagle Bernie Leadon) (still purchasable at Screen Archives)
    Both answers were correct, but it's true that the theme heard here is not from Talbott. See Wikepedia's link for a clearer understanding. I nonetheless loved it and it was the first musical moment I adored in the movie. This track is called "Journey of the Sorcerer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_of_These_Nights

Bonus: Hellboy (2004) by Marco Beltrami
    Indeed one of the greatest scores and the best theme, and it's not even on the CD. It appeared during the movie in various guises (soft in Meeting Hellboy but the version of Varese deleted this theme) and around whirling strings in Light my Fire. But the biggest performance was in the end credits and the suite on the 2 CD recording sessions. Luckily I heard it first on Marco's website. This track is called "B.P.R.D. Suite"
    http://www.marcobeltrami.com/wocms.php
  10. Some good tracks there. I should have identified a few more than I did.

Maybe if no-one has any clips I'll submit some at the weekend.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Whoa! I did check Beltrami's site and fast forwarded through those Hellboy clips. I must have skipped through that entire section you used for the game.

Good game and congrats to JuPe and TomTom!
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    I only recognized two tracks +the bonus. The rest I got from countless hours of searching the net. I'll do better next time so watch out. wink

-Ranietz-
  11. Ranietz wrote
    I only recognized two tracks +the bonus. The rest I got from countless hours of searching the net. I'll do better next time so watch out. wink

-Ranietz-

really? then you really did great smile
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Ranietz wrote

-Ranietz-

Thanks. I'm relatively new on this so I don't know that many soundtracks, but I had a lot of fun searching and I found lots of soundtracks that's now on my list-to-get. smile
  12. Ranietz wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Ranietz wrote

-Ranietz-

Thanks. I'm relatively new on this so I don't know that many soundtracks, but I had a lot of fun searching and I found lots of soundtracks that's now on my list-to-get. smile

oh, then I'm interested to find out which are on your list? Ps, most of them are still reviewed on my old site, just visit my profile and you'll find the link wink
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Ranietz wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Ranietz wrote

-Ranietz-

oh, then I'm interested to find out which are on your list? Ps, most of them are still reviewed on my old site, just visit my profile and you'll find the link wink

Beastmaster 2 and The Hunchback of Notre Dame to name a few, but most of the tracks were interesting. You have really found some hidden treasures.
  13. I should have figured out at least 5 more than I did, as I have them all. Clearly I don't listen enough to CASTLE IN THE SKY, WYATT EARP, MOLL FLANDERS and others. shame dizzy smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  14. Hey, good game, for once I could compete with the others. I'm amazed I found as much as I did. Maybe I will play again... Well, congrats to the winners! beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I should have figured out at least 5 more than I did, as I have them all. Clearly I don't listen enough to CASTLE IN THE SKY, WYATT EARP, MOLL FLANDERS and others. shame dizzy smile

I'm surprised!? shocked

Like errrr whatsisname....you'll be back! smile wink cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  15. Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I should have figured out at least 5 more than I did, as I have them all. Clearly I don't listen enough to CASTLE IN THE SKY, WYATT EARP, MOLL FLANDERS and others. shame dizzy smile

I'm surprised!? shocked

Like errrr whatsisname....you'll be back! smile wink cheesy

Should have done better with the clues too!

That MOLL FLANDERS one did ring a bell...

The funny thing is I did listen through the first four tracks of SPIRITED AWAY, thinking that 17 must have been a Hisaishi, but got distracted and never continued. (It didn't seem close enough!)

dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008
    Looks like everyone has been busy. Is anyone ready with clips for another round?
    If not, then I can put something together this weekend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    That would be great, Bhel. Bring it on!

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    How did the exams go Bhel?
    Hopefully you have a great vacation in front of you!

A new game would be nice indeed. smile
    Kazoo
  16. BhelPuri wrote
    Looks like everyone has been busy. Is anyone ready with clips for another round?
    If not, then I can put something together this weekend.

That would be great if you could put something together.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  17. yeah please do, I was asking myself when someone was gonna start another game