• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008 edited
    Not one of my favourite composers, although he occasionally does some pretty interesting stuff. Like The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, which is hopefully another orchestral explosion like Silvestri's The Mummy Returns was.

The official site of this third installment of the franchise has just gone online, and it's got music at the background. Could this be a first clip from the new score...? (and, is it me, or does it indeed hint a little at Goldsmith's theme?).

http://www.themummy.com/
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008
    All I've heard from Edelman is xXx, and that was a synth fest (although it did have that very catchy brass motif). I'll check out the new Mummy film because Goldsmith's and Silvestri's scores have been very, very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, even though DragonHeart was, strictly speaking, a synthfest as well, I loved that one. It had some pretty powerfull themes. It's enough to give me hope this'll be a pretty enjoyable score, and hopefully indeed a bit in the line of the previous two. If I recall correctly, director Rob Cohen already said he wanted something fully orchestral and adventurous in the line of the previous scores lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There's very little Edelman I don't like.
    I'm a complete sucker for his robust way of putting thematic material in (and never better than in Gettysburg). I couldn't care less if he uses synths. He can use bloody ocarinas for all I care.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    He can use bloody ocarinas for all I care.

Yes please! That would certainly produce a sound we don't hear too often (Redelman, you listening?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    From Rob Cohen's (director of Mummy 3) blog:

"Starting May 27th I go to London to record Randy's score with the London Symphony Orchestra at Abbey Road, including traditional Chinese instruments, traditional Tibetan instruments, a choir, Buddhist monk chanters, and koto drum percussion."
    Source: http://www.robcohenthemummy.com/

Hmm... Even an undead mummy with bandages falling over his eyes could've seen the chinese instruments coming. Don't really like those... But the choir and especially the Buddhist monk chanters sound promising! (btw, this does mean that, whatever you're hearing on the official site, it's not the original score).

Also good news: it does indeed seem this is orchestral all the way, for anyone who cares about that wink
  1. KOTO drums?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If he only had done the MACGYVER theme and called it quits, he'd have a star in my book...arguably the most catchy TV theme of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2008
    Sounds like we'll be hearing some riff on Tan Dun's score to Hero and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    BTW!

"...including traditional Chinese instruments..."

The ocarina is Chinese! We might get the ocarina! Woohoo!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Sounds like we'll be hearing some riff on Tan Dun's score to Hero and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

If Tan Dun was the only one to have ever written for the Erhu and co. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Edelman's not the best composer, but he surely can write some great music. Dragonheart is wonderful, XXX has some cool music, Dragonheart a stirring fanfare and Gettysburg and Ghostbusters 2 are full of wonderful music. I hope Mummy 3 lives up to its name, but I doubt we'll get a full orchestral ride ala The Mummy Returns.

Nonetheless, keep your fingers crossed
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    How am I keeping my mouth shut? It shows how old and mature I have become.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    old and mature

Hm.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Southall wrote
    How am I keeping my mouth shut? It shows how old and mature I have become.

Common Southal, he may not be like those classic composers, but he sure gave us some nice music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    He did. But Dragonheart and Gettysburg are awful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Or in fact, as is my considered opinion, fantastic!

(But then of course I am not a curmudgeon...err..I mean old and mature...)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    old and mature

Hm.

Skeptical Cat is EXCELLENT! ....but I wouldn't want to fall under his gaze shocked

As for Edelman I only have his Dragon : The Bruce Lee Story which is pretty good and has a corking theme that was oft used in Trailers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    old and mature

Hm.

I think we'll need to do a top 10 lolcats soon. This ranks among the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008
    Oh... just imagine what Don Davis, Elliot Goldenthal or Chris Young could have done with a film like The Mummy 3, and with a budget allowing for the LSO, monk chants, Chinese solo instruments...

mc
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    A Chris Young Mummy 3 score? That would be interesting.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

If Tan Dun was the only one to have ever written for the Erhu and co. wink

Sure, but it's never gonna sound like John Williams doing his Western-Oriental take. Rob Cohen tends to go for the populist choice of music. For example, temping Peacemaker music in XXX, or Black Hawk Down in Stealth. In fact, I'm interested in seeing whether the movie will have a MV/RC composer on board doing additional music like XXX and Stealth.
  4. moviescore wrote
    Oh... just imagine what Don Davis, Elliot Goldenthal or Chris Young could have done with a film like The Mummy 3, and with a budget allowing for the LSO, monk chants, Chinese solo instruments...

mc

okay, that's true
    But I think we must give Edelman the benifit of the doubt for now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    moviescore wrote

mc

okay, that's true
    But I think we must give Edelman the benifit of the doubt for now!

Indeed, the score hasn't even been recorded yet! slant
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    That clip from the website seems a little bland. I'm sure it's from the movie, why would they put temp music on the official website?

Anyways, I couldn't really identify any theme throughout that clip. I've never been a big fan of Edelman, but I'm giving him a chance on this one. Hopefully he'll deliver like Silvestri did with The Mummy Returns.
  5. Because, EnemyToo, if you had actually bothered to read the thread, you would have found the score doesn't begin recording until May 27th.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2008
    Well I apologize if I'm not on top of things as you are, Mr. Justin Boggan. You don't have to be an ass about it. There is such a thing as a synth demo/mock up. Is it not entirely possible that it could be one of those????????????????
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2008
    EnemyToo wrote
    Well I apologize if I'm not on top of things as you are, Mr. Justin Boggan. You don't have to be an ass about it. There is such a thing as a synth demo/mock up. Is it not entirely possible that it could be one of those????????????????

cool

Well said!
  6. There's a difference between "being on top of it" and simply having read what is being discussed. I may have come across condenscending in your opinion, but at least I didn't call you a name, like ... oh -- you did:

Dwayne Dibley wannabe said:
    You don't have to be an ass about it.

Would you also like to know if Intrada has released "Carpicorn One" yet?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. justin boggan wrote
    There's a difference between "being on top of it" and simply having read what is being discussed. I may have come across condenscending in your opinion, but at least I didn't call you a name, like .. oh -- you did:

You don't have to be an ass about it.

Would you also like to know if Intrada has released "Carpicorn One" yet?

Bregt???????
    Whenever there's trouble he's nowhere to be found, damn that kid tongue