• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008
    I appreciate that. I'm not trying to knock the composers for doing it, I'm just saying it is one reason why their music is not and never could be as good as Jerry Goldsmith's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    Some of the instruments seemed too low and some too high in certain tracks, yeah. I am not too impressed with the sound quality of the CD either. But some tracks, like "Family Presses Close" and
    "Ricks Long Rod" are great IMO.
  1. Panthera wrote
    Does that mean Dragon is really good?

Dragon is quite good, for Edelman standards at least. The theme for Bruce Lee is simply put wonderful, it appeared marvelously in the Forrest Gump trailer.

So for Edelman standards, it's one of his better ones yes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008
    Southall wrote
    (obviously it's at the Silvestri end of the scale and not the Goldsmith end when it comes to this franchise)

Both Silvestri and Goldsmith's efforts are equal. Just because you don't like Silvestri in general doesn't mean that his music for the Mummy series isn't as good or at times better than Goldsmith's.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I really enjoy Edelman's Mummy 3 a LOT...but then I've always been something of an Edelman apologist. While I wouldn't even begin to think of him in the Goldsmith/Williams class, his completely non-apologetic full-blast thunder-chord approach to scoring strikes home with me! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Ultimatum was mediocre, this is just bad. smile

shocked shocked

The world's biggest John Powell fan describes his greatest album as "mediocre"!?!?!?

I've got to agree with Anthony here, Supremacy is by far the best score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    For me as well, Supremacy outdoes the others by far.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    I really enjoy Edelman's Mummy 3 a LOT...but then I've always been something of an Edelman apologist. While I wouldn't even begin to think of him in the Goldsmith/Williams class, his completely non-apologetic full-blast thunder-chord approach to scoring strikes home with me! smile

I feel exactly the same about Mummy 3 and its composer. Even the sci-fi sounding main theme I've started to enjoy.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    Music From the Movies has an interesting and lengthy interview up with Edelman.

http://musicfromthemovies.com/sotw.asp?ID=132
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008
    And here is their enthusiastic review of the CD:

http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/review.asp?ID=7409

cool

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I like the 2nd track a lot, "Silently Yearning For Centuries". So different and more thoughtful than the painfully cheesy and unoriginal main theme in the opening "A call to adventure".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    I like the 2nd track a lot, "Silently Yearning For Centuries". So different and more thoughtful than the painfully cheesy and unoriginal main theme in the opening "A call to adventure".

Indeed, this theme is FAR better than the main theme. Fortunately is used many times in the cd (I think it´s used more times than the main theme curiously, as if Edelman knew it´s better cool ).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    According the article, it seems like there were only three orchestrator on the Edelman score, Nick Ingman, Matt Dunkley and Ben Foster. Can anyone else confirm this?
  2. I can confirm each of those three did indeed orchestra on the score. the first two both mention it on their website. The rest listed at IMDB were for Debney, and probably ome other composer who "helped out" on those 30mins of new score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2008
    Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008 edited
    Debney's music does stand out in the finished film, such as the action scene in the museum which leads into the chase across Shanghai (sounds like a bit of Lair mixed in with Cutthroat Island) and the last two action sequences in the film. The former action sequence is definitely Debney's contribution since the original cue by Edelman is nowhere to be found in the finished film.

But there's simply a beautiful motif that shows up occasionally -- not that "Silently Yearning for Centuries" -- but there's a beautiful moment in the film where there's soft choir followed by a foreboding/uncertain oboe solo. Is that anywhere in the album? I only listened to Erik's suite on his program (and not the actual soundtrack), so I can't be sure.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  3. Matt C wrote
    But there's simply a beautiful motif that shows up occasionally -- not that "Silently Yearning for Centuries" -- but there's a beautiful moment in the film where there's soft choir followed by a foreboding/uncertain oboe solo. Is that anywhere in the album? I only listened to Erik's suite on his program (and not the actual soundtrack), so I can't be sure.

There's a nice motif indeed in Silently Yearning for Centures" so I'm guessing you're referring to the Edelman music of the film, which then also means it's on the CD wink
  4. My review of Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, for your perusal smile

http://www.moviemusicuk.us/mummytodecd.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    Edelman's The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor is... yuck. Really, I can't believe I dislike it this much (it has cool cover art! tongue), but I do. The themes are blatantly overused, and get to be extremely annoying. Granted, there are a couple good moments the score has to offer, but these do not in any way make up for the negative aspects of the score. What a shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    Debney's pieces are way better but still nothing special either.
  5. Edelman's score for Leap Year will be released by Varese Sarabande:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/ … Poster.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    Hope this one is not going to suffer from the same mastering/mixing issues as Mummy 3.
  6. Scorefanatic wrote
    Edelman's score for Leap Year will be released by Varese Sarabande:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/ … Poster.jpg

Amy Adams, what a cutie smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    William wrote
    Edelman's The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor is... yuck. Really, I can't believe I dislike it this much (it has cool cover art! tongue), but I do. The themes are blatantly overused, and get to be extremely annoying. Granted, there are a couple good moments the score has to offer, but these do not in any way make up for the negative aspects of the score. What a shame.

I worship this score, from beginning to end. I truly don't understand why so many people dislike it. Super catchy themes, little boring underscore, constantly entertaining.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Worship? wow as much as Morricone wink I'll get that Mummy another spin then. I listen to him once in a while and a few weeks ago I took out Dragonheart and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    Never as much as Morricone, that's impossible. wink But I do love that score. It has everything I look for in a fun and crazy adventure score.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009
    LEAP YEAR

SOUND CLIPS

http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … -Year.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Ah dang it. This is exactly the sort of tune I need right now and it won't be available until January 12th (or 19th according to Varese)? crazy
    That "Faddle Fiddle" sample, even as sample, cheered me up like nothing else could. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Curiously I recognize the harmonica melody in "Hymn to a faery king". It was also in Rosenthal's "Welcome to Ireland" from the young indy series. Perhaps it's an irish folk tune, and not by Rosenthal as I always had thought.

Peter smile
  7. one thing is clear, Edelman can surely deliver some catchy tunes smile