• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. hmn, don't know what to think of it. This is obvious Eidelman in tone, but not too brilliantly sounding. But what can 30 second tracks tell us. Wait and see and hope for the best
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Edelman. Eidelman is the Cliff guy from Star Trek 6.

http://www.themummy.com/site/media/audio/track1.mp3 (0:57)
    http://www.themummy.com/site/media/audio/track5.mp3 (1:29)

The only two up. I tried up to 30. So now you got mroe than 0:30 samples.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    If this score is suppose to be performance by a grand symphony orchestra why does it sound like it's coming out of a synthesizer?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hmm, it seems okay in its own right I guess. But to go from a genuinely great score, i.e. The Mummy, and a score with genuinely great parts, i.e. The Mummy Returns, to this is a classic example of the wrong composer. I've never really been into Edelman, even though he's able to churn out the odd decent tune now and again.

Jesus they should have hired someone else. Perhaps Jesus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Hmm, it seems okay in its own right I guess. But to go from a genuinely great score, i.e. The Mummy, and a score with genuinely great parts, i.e. The Mummy Returns, to this is a classic example of the wrong composer. I've never really been into Edelman, even though he's able to churn out the odd decent tune now and again.

Jesus they should have hired someone else. Perhaps Jesus.

Or John Debney. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    hmn, don't know what to think of it. This is obvious Eidelman in tone, but not too brilliantly sounding. But what can 30 second tracks tell us. Wait and see and hope for the best

Yeah, 30 sec clips are insufficient to get a picture of the score. So far it didn't sound brilliant, yes, but I feel it could be a nice standalone score. We'll get to know soon anyway ... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Seems like Rob Cohen has had an interesting relation with Edelman since XXX. That movie had some major action sections scored by John Van Tongeren. Then on Stealth, Rob had Edelman's score be replaced with music by BT and Trevor Morris and Michael DiMattia. And now with this movie, we get Edelman and Van Tongeren and then Debney. Anyone see a developing trend?

Edelman did an okay job on Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knight, but it's nothing suggesting that he'd be a good choice at scoring an action adventure flick like The Mummy 3

Shame to have your music rejected/replaced though.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Erik Woods wrote
    If this score is suppose to be performance by a grand symphony orchestra why does it sound like it's coming out of a synthesizer?

-Erik-

To be honest, I have never heard a Randy Edelman that impressed me in terms of orchestration. Everything sounds thick, flat, uninteresting. Even a popular score like Gettysburg is actually rather terrible in terms of the orchestrations, IMO. The big mystery is that he used to work with Leonard Rosenman's orchestrator, Ralph Ferraro. I guess he didn't have much input...

mc
  3. justin boggan wrote
    Edelman. Eidelman is the Cliff guy from Star Trek 6.

http://www.themummy.com/site/media/audio/track1.mp3 (0:57)
    http://www.themummy.com/site/media/audio/track5.mp3 (1:29)

The only two up. I tried up to 30. So now you got mroe than 0:30 samples.

OOPS Typo
    I should know that, I own both of their music wink
    Still thanks for the correction
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008
    Bad bad bad choice of composer. Jesus, I'm gonna go listen to Goldsmith's score... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    God, I hate that new main theme. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    LSH wrote

Hate is such a strong word. biggrin wink tongue I don't hate it, though it doesn't really seem like it belongs in Mummy 3.
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    TheTelmarine wrote
    LSH wrote

Hate is such a strong word. biggrin wink tongue I don't hate it, though it doesn't really seem like it belongs in Mummy 3.

hm, this is what i thought when i heard it. Actually it is not bad, but it sure doesnt belong in The Mummy universe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008 edited
    msi2 wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    LSH wrote

hm, this is what i thought when i heard it. Actually it is not bad, but it sure doesnt belong in The Mummy universe.

Yep, I think Lee is overreacting just a bit. The theme itself is not the problem; it's the theme's existence in this score that worries me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    TheTelmarine wrote
    LSH wrote

Hate is such an appropriate word.

Thanks! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    LSH wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    LSH wrote

Hate is such an appropriate word.

Thanks! smile

I don't remember saying that (and neither does my computer), but whatever. rolleyes tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    OK, it may not be an awful theme but in context and with Edelman's 'orchestration', it is really quite bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    LSH wrote
    OK, it may not be an awful theme but in context and with Edelman's 'orchestration', it is really quite bad.

Very well, if you say so. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2008
    Hmmm.... aren't you guys a little harsh? After reading your comments here I actually had a listen to some of the clips at http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Download- … oduct.html and although this definitely isn't in the Goldsmith league (nothing these days is) this certainly doesn't seem to be the disaster everyone yells at... The "Shanghai Chase" and "Crash Burn" definitely have a GOOD full-fledged orchestral sound... the cello theme in "Heartbreak" seems to be really nice... The only thing I'm not really fond of after this little preview is the main theme... Unfortunately, Edelman has a tendency to always add some kind of tinkling synthetic piano-ish sound to all of his thematic lines, which IMO makes them sound a bit cheesy. But I doubt that this will be is bad as all of you guys already seem to have decided it is...

mc
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2008
    Oh God it sounds bad. After coming off two epic scores from Goldsmith and Silvestri....Edelman?! vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008
    I like the clips, the love theme sounds especially gorgeous, and the action is kinda cool. The main theme is too generic and it doesn't sound mummyish at all, but more like a theme to a sci-fi flick. I'm sure I won't come to like this score as much as Goldsmith's, and probably not as much as Silvestri's either, but I'll still like it.

Seems to me he's trying to do a John Powell in his action. For instance track 6 seems like an imitation of Bourne 3. Anyone else got that impression?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The movie will most probably s*ck and apparently so will the score. Big surprise.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    The movie will most probably s*ck and apparently so will the score. Big surprise.

Why, because Rachel Weiz isn't on board?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    plindboe wrote
    Seems to me he's trying to do a John Powell in his action. For instance track 6 seems like an imitation of Bourne 3. Anyone else got that impression?

Not at all. tongue Ultimatum was mediocre, this is just bad. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Anthony wrote
    Not at all. tongue Ultimatum was mediocre, this is just bad. smile

I didn't say it was as good, just that it sounds like Edelman tried to copy the style. Listen to "Tangiers" from Bourne 3, and then the beginning of "Formation Of The Terra Cotta Army" from Mummy 3. There are differences of course, but the similarities doesn't sound accidental.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Except the Main Theme as mentioned above, I liked most of the other clips personally. Will wait for the actual release before saying anything else. wink
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    I've been following this movie closely (and pray that it's good and enjoyable, I loved the first 2) and was really surprised when I heard Debney was re-doing some parts of it.

Anyways I heard Edelman's clips (which really didn't seem to fit the movie, IMO) and found clips from the movie online here: http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/films.php?id=1235

Some of the music in a few scenes sounds like it could be Debney.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Ultimatum was mediocre, this is just bad. smile

shocked shocked

The world's biggest John Powell fan describes his greatest album as "mediocre"!?!?!?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Ultimatum was mediocre, this is just bad. smile

shocked shocked

The world's biggest John Powell fan describes his greatest album as "mediocre"!?!?!?

Ultimatum is a shot in the foot of Jason Bourne when he needs to jump a rooftop compared to the score of Supremacy.