• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008
    I know it's strange to start a topic like this but I feel quite sad and lonely right now. I was skipping through my score collection in order to find something to listen to, to take my mind of certain things when I started wandering about that. I ended up listening to my compilation of The Lord of the Rings. It calms me down.
    What do you listen to when you need to pick yourself?Or when you want to hear the music expressing what you feel in order to live it through and get over it?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You are never alone here Stavy kiss smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008 edited
    WHen I'm sad, I'll mostly listen to music that fits that mood. Two that pup up right now, Gattaca by Michael Nyman and the suite from The Beat My Heart Skips (De Battre mon Coeur s'est arreté) by Alexandre Desplat.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    You are never alone here Stavy

Thank you honey. kiss I know it, that's why I'm here now.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote

smile cool

I'm rarely sad or down but I find that when this does happen it's actually better to immerse yourself in sad music rather than play something up-lifting, obviously that'll depend on whether it's a case of 'snapping out of it', y'know, when you're feeling down for no good reason or whether it's something more serious like falling out with loved one's, breaking up from a relationship etc.

If I'm feeling really sad something by Gerorges Delerue usually fills that void nicely.

If it's a case of 'snapping out of it' then something loud, possitive and up-lifting does the trick! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I used to listen to really depressing music, but now AVPR exists! wink
  1. As Good As It Gets, Holiday - Hans Zimmer
    The Fire Truck, Hog Chase Part II - John Powell

Basically
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Only something as powerful and emotionally stirring as Delerue helps me through such instances.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Only something as powerful and emotionally stirring as Delerue helps me through such instances.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anything by Basil Poledouris will get me right back on track!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2008
    When I'm sad I play this video. I end up disturbed and puzzled. But at least I've stopped being sad.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    When I'm sad I play this video. I end up disturbed and puzzled. But at least I've stopped being sad.

Peter smile

Surely you mean when you feel MAD! dizzy spin moon vomit sleep beer cool shocked biggrin wink cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    1. Chairman's Waltz (Memoirs of a Geisha)
    2. Theme From Schindler's List
    3. Descent Into Madness (Legends of the Fall)
    4. Across The Stars (Attack of the Clones)
    5. Operation- Market Garden (Medal of Honor: Frontline)
    6. After The Drop (Medal of Honor: Frontline)
    7. Bearing The Cross (Passion of the Christ)
    8. Introduction/Storytime (Edward Scissorhands)
    9. The Burning Bush (Prince of Egypt)
    10. No Following (Iron Giant)
    11. December 7th (Pearl Harbor)
    12. A Small Measure of Peace (The Last Samurai)
    13. Lasiurus (Batman Begins)
    14. A Fateful Meetings (Peter Jackson's King Kong)
    15. Central Park (Peter Jackson's King Kong)
    16. Beauty Killed The Beast (Peter Jackson's King Kong)
    17. Silver Comforts Jim (Treasure Planet)
    18. Main Title (Patch Adams)
    19. Speech/Children's Reprise (Patch Adams)
    20. End Credits (The Bucket List)
    21. Marry Me (Pirates of the Caribbean: Soundtrack Treasure Collection)
    22. Operation Dinner Out (Spy Game)
    23. Re-Entry And Splashdown (Apollo 13)
    24. End Titles (The American President)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Stavroula wrote

smile cool

I'm rarely sad or down but I find that when this does happen it's actually better to immerse yourself in sad music rather than play something up-lifting

I find "happy and uplifting" indeed seldom work...Powell when I'm feeling down? shocked Ye gods! No!

I think the main question is what one wants to do with one's mood?
    Many enjoy a good bout of self-pity, and indeed when at times it seems like nobody cares or no-one is interested, it's absolutely fantastic to realize that you can fill that void yourself!
    (Glass of port... hm... bottle of port, lights turned low. Some cheese and crackers. Simon and Garfunkel, Mike Batt, Delerue, Rozsa or Williams on repeat, and wallow away, babe!

I have to say though that as time moves on, I find I have little or no patience for self pity.
    Well, at least not my own.
    So what I tend to do is find the loudes, vilest, most aggressive music I can find -think Therapy?- and "come out the other end", so to speak: the adrenalin and testosterone wreaks such havoc in my chemical disbalance that I snap out of it quite easily!
    (Of course then I'll generally be absolute hell to contend with, but hey! At least I find it's better than being depressed. wink And I far more easily snap out of being 'fired up', then out of being down, but that -I realize well- has a lot to do with my own personal chemical and psychological make-up. )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    When I'm sad because of situation of grief or loss (death of a loved one) I love listening to certain Horner scores like Cocoon, Dad or The Spitfire Grill. Nothing moves me to tears more than some of the beautiful chords Horner produces for his lovely but sad music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    When I'm sad because of situation of grief or loss (death of a loved one) I love listening to certain Horner scores like Cocoon, Dad or The Spitfire Grill. Nothing moves me to tears more than some of the beautiful chords Horner produces for his lovely but sad music.

Cocoon is a beautiful poignant score.

Braveheart has moments too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Timmer wrote

Braveheart has moments too.

Stange but the first composer who came to my mind yesterday was Horner and the first score was Braveheart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, that'll put you to sleep.
    And when you wake up it'll all feel better. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2008 edited
    Sylvos wrote
    2. Theme From Schindler's List

If I were sad and I'd listen to that, it'd probably make me suicidal!

I love to listen to Thomas Newman's scores when I'm depressed / melancholic / sad. Especially stuff like American Beauty, The Green Mile or Meet Joe Black. Especially the last one is a score that ends with an uplifting note, though it begins in your fitting sad-mood, which is great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh yes, Newman of course!
    His piano cues are so fitting those moods of lonelyness.

I love listening to the track American Beauty of that equal named score, when watching through my window, when it rains (and mostly the window is open). Great!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Angela Undress! It makes me melancholic and sad, even if I'm not depressed at all! Such a haunting pianotheme!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Angela Undress too!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I agree, Newman's music is perfect for those moments of sadness and reflection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008
    BobdH wrote
    Angela Undress! It makes me melancholic and sad, even if I'm not depressed at all! Such a haunting pianotheme!

"Angela Undress"! What an impressive, heavenly-beautiful and Godsend that melody is! Surely, it is one of Newman's simplest but best single compositions ever, not to mention one of the most effective film music compositions too. Great, great work.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Surely you mean when you feel MAD! dizzy spin moon vomit sleep beer cool shocked biggrin wink cheesy

Oh, no! One shouldn't watch it while mad. It can be a deadly combination!!!

Peter dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Oh, no! One shouldn't watch it while mad. It can be a deadly combination!!!

Peter dizzy

It was close to sending Me mad! dizzy crazy spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

O.M.G.!

bounce bounce

That was one of the sickest things's I've ever seen. biggrin
    Made me laugh for several minutes, ending up with crying.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote

"Angela Undress"! What an impressive, heavenly-beautiful and Godsend that melody is! Surely, it is one of Newman's simplest but best single compositions ever, not to mention one of the most effective film music compositions too. Great, great work.

Amen! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Somewhere in Time. Gets me every time.

mc
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    moviescore wrote
    Somewhere in Time. Gets me every time.

mc

How could I miss out John Barry shocked I have to say though that Barry's Robin & Marian moves me more, 'John Bursts In / The End' is an absolute choaker.