• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007 edited
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    what can we win? tongue

Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Martijn wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    what can we win? tongue

Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.

Okay Mr Indy wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007
    Timmer wrote
    The Sherpa people from the Mt. Everest region of the Nepal Himalaya have long been renowned for their excellence in high altitude mountaineering and have accompanied all major expeditions in the region since Nepal opened it's borders to foreigners in the early 1950's.

Sherpa's are catagorised by how much they can carry and are paid accordingly, so a Sherpa capable of carrying 20 kilos will be a 20 kilo sherpa, 30, 40, 50, 60 etc etc....the more weight they can comfortably carry the more they get paid.

TRUE or FALSE ?

wave

new page bump
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I'll go for TRUE.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. enough with the bumps, me wanna know biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007
    The answer is truish. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007
    Timmer wrote
    The Sherpa people from the Mt. Everest region of the Nepal Himalaya have long been renowned for their excellence in high altitude mountaineering and have accompanied all major expeditions in the region since Nepal opened it's borders to foreigners in the early 1950's.

Sherpa's are catagorised by how much they can carry and are paid accordingly, so a Sherpa capable of carrying 20 kilos will be a 20 kilo sherpa, 30, 40, 50, 60 etc etc....the more weight they can comfortably carry the more they get paid.

TRUE or FALSE ?

wave

Sorry Bregje & Bregt but the answer is TRUE!

Though it's not strictly a 20 kilo, 30 kilo etc Sherpa, it's certainly true that the heavier the weight the bigger the pay.

When I hired a Sherpa I didn't ask for a "20 kilo" Sherpa, though when he lifted my rucksack after I'd packed it he asked why it was so light shocked

I met one kid ( that's right.....a kid ) on the trail who was carrying 60 kilos of GLASS all wrapped in straw in a wooden frame......he was 17 years old! shocked lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    shocked

Dear god!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    He carried the composer up the mountain?

Seriously though, thee blokes are legendarily strong. I've seen old footage of them hiking up the mountain with, like, poststoves and furnaces on their backs... Very impressive!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. yay, I've won smile
    seriously, what these guys are doing is so much more harder than my sad little job, wouldn't want to trade!
    Respect for those people
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    He carried the composer up the mountain?

Seriously though, thee blokes are legendarily strong. I've seen old footage of them hiking up the mountain with, like, poststoves and furnaces on their backs... Very impressive!

Absolutely!

The same 17 year old lugged a 110 kilo wood burner up to his Fathers lodge ( and where I stayed ) in the small settlement of Gokyo at an altitude of around 15,000 ft. The Father bought the lodge from Britains Channel 4 who built it to house the film crew for the documentary 'Balloon Over Everest'.

Here's Gokyo

http://www.adventurephotographs.com/nep … .asp?i=003
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007 edited
    So anyone else wanna pose a question?

C'mon? Or yaz want more Mountains, Dinosaurs, Comics questions? rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007
    Timmer wrote

Though it's not strictly a 20 kilo, 30 kilo etc Sherpa, it's certainly true that the heavier the weight the bigger the pay.

That's what I said. rolleyes

wink kiss
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007
    Bregje wrote
    Timmer wrote

That's what I said. rolleyes

wink kiss

You didn't make yourself very clear Bregje and printed False? If I misinterpreted your answer then poor old Bregt is all on his lonesome?! sad

wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007 edited
    It was far more easy to put your shoes or boots on in the dark during the 14th to the 16th century here in Britain than it is today.

TRUE or FALSE ?

cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007
    I'm alone. sad

What a weird question?
    I'd say TRUE!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I'm alone. sad

What a weird question?
    I'd say TRUE!

Your never alone Bregt beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ehm...I guess because they didn't have electricity and lights and all that and had to rely on candles, then TRUE.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007
    Keep it up peeps, despite it being as Bregt said "a weird question" it isn't a catchy or joke question,
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Ehm...I guess because they didn't have electricity and lights and all that and had to rely on candles, then TRUE.

Eh? confused cheesy
  5. what do I know, True wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    No shoelaces, so TRUE.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Eh? confused cheesy

I mean they were more used to darker lighting because there was no electric, bright light. So it was "easier" for them. But perhaps plindboe is right...perhaps they didn't have shoelaces back then in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Eh? confused cheesy

I mean they were more used to darker lighting because there was no electric, bright light. So it was "easier" for them. But perhaps plindboe is right...perhaps they didn't have shoelaces back then in the first place.

Ahhhh ...comprehende!

Last chances......answer tomorrow evening.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    It was far more easy to put your shoes or boots on in the dark during the 14th to the 16th century here in Britain than it is today.

TRUE or FALSE ?

cheesy

Just for a change I've decided to move the goal post on this question. I can tell you ALL of you got it correct, it is TRUE!

But now I want to see which one of you ( or anyone who hasn't played yet? ) can tell me WHY it's true biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    No shoelaces, so TRUE.

Peter smile

I liked this answer cool

But it's still wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    One could far more easily smell where they were?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote

Bregje, that was a BRILLIANT answer cool kiss

But still wrong.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Bregje wrote

....and I'm almost willing to say YES! that IS the answer, I'll bet it's not far off the truth but what proof do we have?

Anyway, no more guesses at why it was easier to put your boots on in the dark between 1400 - 1600 AD?

Answer tonight!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Well, you already have my answer re: the lighting. I know it's not it, though, but it was the most logical I could think of. smile
    I am extremely serious.