• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Chomolungma!

Don't ask me why.
    It just does feel like an evil mountain!

Or perhaps the one that hasn't been climbed yet. wink

Chomolungma means 'Goddess Mother Of The World', not too "evil" really eh Bregt? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Kanchenjunga is the odd one out.

Each of the other 3 are the English, Nepalese & Sherpa names for the same mountain.

Sorry, Tim. I couldn't help myself: http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Nepal/blog-33612.html
    shame

Awwwww Alan, you coulda waited instead of looking it up!? slant

My next clue was...

There are only TWO mountains on that list.

Someone might have got it from that clue?

Oh well rolleyes

Sorry, Tim.

It won't happen again.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited
    Mt. Everest is the odd one out as it's the only one that doesn't sound like a sneeze.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Alan clearly doesnt know how this game works! slant angry
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote

I did make a legitimate guess and only THEN looked it up!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt wrote

I did make a legitimate guess and only THEN looked it up!

Bla bla. tongue wink biggrin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008
    plindboe wrote
    Mt. Everest is the odd one out as it's the only one that doesn't sound like a sneeze.

Peter smile

I LIKE that answer! cool

You are THE winner! punk

wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Kanchenjunga is the odd one out.

Each of the other 3 are the English, Nepalese & Sherpa names for the same mountain.

Sorry, Tim. I couldn't help myself: http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Nepal/blog-33612.html
    shame

Awwwww Alan, you coulda waited instead of looking it up!? slant

My next clue was...

There are only TWO mountains on that list.

Someone might have got it from that clue?

Oh well rolleyes

Sorry, Tim.

It won't happen again.

Apology accepted friend smile

But please refrain from answering anything if you decide to look it up again!?

Tim beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Woohoo!

*celebrates*

Peter wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Woohoo!

*celebrates*

Peter wink

I feel a cold coming on.....

kkkkkkkkk.....kkkkkaaaAAAAAAACHENJUNGA!!!!!

spin

smile
  3. To make an aeroplane quieter, you should install more smaller engines, rather than Fewer bigger engines, but this is less efficient so is not done.

True or False

One for demetrius and other plane enthusiasts.
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I'm gonna say true on this one Tim.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Why would you care if an aeroplane was quieter though? Hmm...if you're in the air then there's no problem, unless you're just trying to make it quieter for the people on board. But surely better insulation would fix that. confused

Demetris, we need your aeroplane expertise! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Why would you care if an aeroplane was quieter though? Hmm...if you're in the air then there's no problem, unless you're just trying to make it quieter for the people on board. But surely better insulation would fix that. confused

But when Demetris answers this question everyone else will know the right answer and copy him? wink

Come on Anthony, no sitting on the fence, True or False. spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And my answer....

False
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    False!

I swear I posted that before. I guess not. dizzy tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I guess TRUE as well... sound doesn't really accumulate in quantity right? Not sure though, that's why it's a guess...

And Anthony, I assume you don't live near an airport! wink

About the sound of engines from inside the plane, this reminds me of an episode of that documentary, you know where they solve the plane crashes, when all four engines dropped out and people inside the plane where scared to death because of the sudden silence!! I can sort of imagine how disturbing that silence must have been!
  4. Anthony wrote

You would care if an aeroplane was quiter if you lived underneath its flightpath!!

This is one of the major problems with the third runway at heathrow, which is in the british news at the moment.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ah, those crazy protestors on the Parliament roof. wink

That would have been cool to be up there (apart from being arrested afterwards). biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I am questioning my own answer now... wondering if a footbal stadium of people whispering is quieter than one man shouting... Is there a physicist in the house?
    dizzy

I stick to TRUE though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    I am questioning my own answer now... wondering if a footbal stadium of people whispering is quieter than one man shouting... Is there a physicist in the house?
    dizzy

I stick to TRUE though.

I like your reasoning Bregje cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008 edited
    This doesn't have to do with planes but with the physics of Sound. The answer is True .

Anthony, for ages the largest problem with the 1st and 2nd generations of old jets (now we are currently on the 3rd generation and shifting onto the 4th (the upcoming Boeing 787 and Airbus 350 will be the 2 first planes of that category, fully up-to-date, state of the art, fully-computerized jets) like the Boeing 707, Boeing 727, DC-10, DC-9, BAC 1-11 just to name a few, has always been huge jet noise that heavily disturbed citizens living close to and around large airports in urban areas; plus lots of exhaust gases coming out of those old engines. The Jet industry has spent millions and millions of dollars to reduce jet noise through the years using various methods, "filters" on engines and such before they decided to completely re-design the engines the planes we all know now currently carry. Just google "jet noise" for more wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote
    dizzy

I stick to TRUE though.

Well, depends on some factors, but yeah, it is quieter.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Dang, we all lost. sad

I mean wait...I change my answer to true! biggrin
  5. One thing to consider (hinting that maybe the answer isn't so obvious):

Jet noise does not scale linearly with size or thrust!!

(note that thrust and size do basically scale together)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. Jet noise depends on the structure and manufacture of the engine. The new engines of the Airbus A380 which are GIGANTIC, are of the most quiet jet engines ever built.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Indeed. Jet noise depends on the structure and manufacture of the engine. The new engines of the Airbus A380 which are GIGANTIC, are of the most quiet jet engines ever built.

I can personally vouch for that! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    This is getting too technical for me! I say TRUE because Demetris knows his stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    and in the meantime i'll start searching of shelters to hide when this will eventually turn out to be false 'cause i missed something or didn't understand something correctly biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris, you fool. You forgot to consider the exponentially increasing Kilmister-Bach scale! That alone makes it go over 11 Nigel!
    The answer is obviously FALSE.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn