• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2008
    Timmer wrote
    The acclaimed and brilliant late actor Richard Burton star of such films as Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolfe, The Longest Day, Where Eagles Dare, The Wild Geese amongst many more was more than just a thespian actor. It's not very well known outside the UK that Burton was also a great explorer who charted many of the great lakes of Africa, he was also a brilliant linguist and translater who could speak over 20 different languages and dialects.

TRUE or FALSE ?

smile

Sorry Thor but you obviously 'twigged it' too late wink

The answer is of course

FALSE!

Richard Burton, as everyone knew, is an actor, but as was correctly guessed by Thor there was another Richard Burton who's achievements were incredible.

In fact, I got it a bit wrong, it was possibly 29 LANGUAGES that the Victorian explorer Richard Francis Burton spoke.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2008 edited
    And from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Francis_Burton

What an amazing man. shocked

He was also the subject of Bob Rafaelson's IMO underrated 1990 film Mountains Of The Moon which has a superb score by Michael Small.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008 edited
    I'd say it's FALSE.

Can I ask this, please, please, please? Is it true that there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

If so, what is the statistical probability of my meeting a woman by New Year's Eve? kiss
  1. I'm very confused confused
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008
    djdave wrote
    ...what is the statistical probability of my meeting a woman by New Year's Eve? kiss

0.0000000000001%

Sorry, but they're all mine. The .1 is an anomaly. biggrin
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    Anthony wrote
    djdave wrote
    ...what is the statistical probability of my meeting a woman by New Year's Eve? kiss

0.0000000000001%

Sorry, but they're all mine. The .1 is an anomaly. biggrin

Dangnabbit crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    WTF! dizzy

And there I was hoping someone had posted a new question? rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    That was the question. I just gave him the real answer as opposed to false. tongue wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    That was the question. I just gave him the real answer as opposed to false. tongue wink

eh, er??? rrrrrright! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008
    Southall wrote
    FALSE.

No doubt about it.

You're right!

You're turn.... wink
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008 edited
    Looks like I'm a loser in the love lottery of life, then slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008 edited
    djdave wrote
    So I'm buggered, then?

Only if you meet a nice bloke by New Year's Eve... love

EDITED TO ADD:
    Ah, indubitably out of dread for the very pun I made, you went back and edited your post...
    Too late, though, old boy. Too late. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    djdave wrote
    So I'm buggered, then?

EDITED TO ADD:
    Ah, indubitably out of dread for the very pun I made, you went back and edited your post...

biggrin

Now, here's a thought, howabout someone putting a question up?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008
    Which one of these bands is the ODD one out....

The Boo Radley's

T' Pau

McFly

a~ha

Heaven 17

wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    Not that tough surely?

Why not Guess?! wave
  2. Is it Heaven 17?

All the rest have a link to film or TV?

Boo Radley - To Kill A Mockingbird

T'Pau - Star Trek (TOS)

McFly - Back To The Future

A-Ha - Alan Partridge (not sure about this one - is there another use of "a-ha"?)

BTW, I haven't "googled" - instead I trawled my own general knowledge rather than using my initiative, and taking advantage of all resources at my disposal to provide me with the information I need to answer the puzzle!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is it Heaven 17?

T'Pau - Star Trek (TOS)

A-Ha - Alan Partridge (not sure about this one - is there another use of "a-ha"?)

BTW, I haven't "googled" - instead I trawled my own general knowledge rather than using my initiative, and taking advantage of all resources at my disposal to provide me with the information I need to answer the puzzle!!

Good guess! That might be it. Yes, a-ha co-wrote and performed the James Bond song "The Living Daylights" with John Barry. Also, the keyboardist Magne Furuholmen has written several film and TV scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is it Heaven 17?

T'Pau - Star Trek (TOS)

Nice one Alan smile

You're on the right track.

p.s. Alan Partridge's A-ha is to do with Abba's 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is it Heaven 17?

T'Pau - Star Trek (TOS)

Good guess! That might be it. Yes, a-ha co-wrote and performed the James Bond song "The Living Daylights" with John Barry. Also, the keyboardist Magne Furuholmen has written several film and TV scores.

Hmmmmm? I didn't think of that?

Not the answer I'm looking for, Alan's on the right track.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    Only two posters having a go?

No Demetris? No Martijn? No Bregje? Anyone else?

I thought this one might be easy??
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    a-ha!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    You know me Timmer... me and pop music? That's a non-existing combination! wink
    The only band I know in that list is A-Ha!

I must say I've been watching a whole lot of Alan Partridge clips last week (because I had seen Around the World in 80 Days) including the Abba and Kate Bush medleys hehe.
  3. Is it a-ha?

All the other bands can be linked to fictional characters:

T'Pau - Star Trek (TOS)

Heaven 17 - A Clockwork Orange

But, as you say Tim, a-ha can be linked to a "proper" band, ABBA (via Alan Partridge).

And if this is wrong my next answer will be The Boo Radleys, then T-Pau and finally, McFly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    Martijn wrote
    djdave wrote
    So I'm buggered, then?

EDITED TO ADD:

It's a fair cop, guv rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is it a-ha?

All the other bands can be linked to fictional characters:

T'Pau - Star Trek (TOS)

Heaven 17 - A Clockwork Orange

But, as you say Tim, a-ha can be linked to a "proper" band, ABBA (via Alan Partridge).

And if this is wrong my next answer will be The Boo Radleys, then T-Pau and finally, McFly.

CORRECT! punk

a~ha comes from a lyric to one of they're early songs 'Nothing To It', after checking dictionaries in several languages they found that a~ha was an international way of expressing recognition with possitive connotations.

Well done Alan. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    You know me Timmer... me and pop music? That's a non-existing combination! wink
    The only band I know in that list is A-Ha!

I must say I've been watching a whole lot of Alan Partridge clips last week (because I had seen Around the World in 80 Days) including the Abba and Kate Bush medleys hehe.

Try and see the DVD's sets 'I'm Alan Partridge' and 'Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge', IMO one of the cringinest and funniest characters ever created.

Amongst many, Coogan was also the voice behind many of 'Spitting Image's' puppets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    a-ha!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    a-ha!

biggrin

I'll be back with a True / False soon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    Which one of these actors is the odd one out.

JAMES GARNER

LOU FERRIGNO

ADAM WEST

PAUL MICHAEL GLASER

DAVID SOUL

I'd prefer to know the reason why but I'll accept a guess biggrin