• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012
    I'm going to say it is false because as my history remembers other things being hurled.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    The siege weapon we know as the CATAPULT was invented by the ancient Greeks, it's original Greek name was 'Gatos Petrobolo' which kind of translates as 'Cat stones', so named because it's first use was firing the bodies of diseased cats over the walls of besieged towns or cities, an early example of germ warfare.

TRUE or FALSE ?

wave

bump

Current scores...

FALSE - 6

TRUE - 1

Last bump. I'll leave this up until tomorrow evening just in case Elin and Bregje want to try.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2012 edited
    I'll leave this up until Tuesday seeing as weekends are quiet.

put true/false if you think I'm telling the truth....errr....falseness wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2012
    false.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin cat For so many reasons this is FALSE!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

You reckon? Shock coming your way boy, oh yes indeedy!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FALSE - 6

TRUE - 1
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FALSE.

That sounds too weird. There's couldn't be that many diseased cats! dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

You reckon? Shock coming your way boy, oh yes indeedy!

biggrin

You forget D. and I have something in common.

We both like bodies glistening with olive oil.
    No wait. Damn. That wasn't it. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Seems the shock came my way shocked Eeeeeuuugghh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Eeeeeuuugghh!

uhm
    Whaddayou talkin' 'bout, Willis?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The siege weapon we know as the CATAPULT was invented by the ancient Greeks, it's original Greek name was 'Gatos Petrobolo' which kind of translates as 'Cat stones', so named because it's first use was firing the bodies of diseased cats over the walls of besieged towns or cities, an early example of germ warfare.

TRUE or FALSE ?

wave

bump

Current scores...

FALSE - 6

TRUE - 1

Last bump. I'll leave this up until tomorrow evening just in case Elin and Bregje want to try.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Eeeeeuuugghh!

uhm
    Whaddayou talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Stop it! My brain can't recover that quick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Can I participate too? You know being Greek and all... smile

I will go with FALSE
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    But of course beer

FALSE - 7

TRUE - 1
  1. [b]Timmer wrote[/]

Well, because you especially kept it unanswered so I could play as well, I'm going to play along.

I'll say TRUE, based on the fact that human cruelty, sadly knows no borders.

It's right up there with human stupidity...

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012
    Well done Elin, glad to see Thomas won't be alone now.

FALSE - 7

TRUE - 2
  2. Timmer wrote
    Well done Elin, glad to see Thomas won't be alone now.

Well, I'll always have Thomas's back. What are friends for after all. kiss
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012
    I think it's etymologically FALSE dizzy

And thanks for waiting Timmer!! Busy week here now school has started again. All juniors have introduction week, crazy week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just give 'em a taste of the old switch, Bregje!
    That'll keep them quiet!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    I think it's etymologically FALSE dizzy

And thanks for waiting Timmer!! Busy week here now school has started again. All juniors have introduction week, crazy week.

You're welcome Bregje smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Just give 'em a taste of the old switch, Bregje!
    That'll keep them quiet!

Oh, those were the days slant

Anyway...

FALSE - 8

TRUE - 2
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012
    Timmer wrote

TRUE or FALSE ?

wave

Ooop! Sorry people, I totally forgot this thread shame

The final scores were...

FALSE - 8

TRUE - 2

Well done to all eight of you that said FALSE! beer This was a complete load of rubbish that I made up myself spin

Well done also to Thomas & Elin whom I think knew it was false but put TRUE just to be a bit different.

I should point out that it is true that corpses were catapulted into beseiged areas to spread disease, I've no doubt that besides human corpses that any animal corpses would've been used too, I guess that could have included cats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If they could catch them, sure, but I think horses or other large livestock were far more likely to be used.

Nice one, Tim, although, having been schooled many moons ago in ancient Greek I knew it to be false. smile
    For anyone interested (and less clasically burdened...er...educated than myself), it's actually from the Greek "καταπέλτης" (katapeltès), which is a contraction of kata- ("down") and -peltès, from the verb pallein, which means something like "to set straight/readying before shooting" (like with an arrow).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012 edited
    Martijn wrote
    If they could catch them, sure, but I think horses or other large livestock were far more likely to be used.

Nice one, Tim, although, having been schooled many moons ago in ancient Greek I knew it to be false. smile
    For anyone interested (and less clasically burdened...er...educated than myself), it's actually from the Greek "καταπέλτης" (katapeltès), which is a contraction of kata- ("down") and -peltès, from the verb pallein, which means something like "to set straight/readying before shooting" (like with an arrow).

biggrin I knew this wouldn't catch many people out here ( if any? ) but particularly D & Stavi. I wasn't educated in Greek or Latin so wiki'd some words together that looked right-ish. wink re-thinking about it I should have used your facts ( which I had read up ) and tarted it up by saying that it was renamed by the British or some such nonsense to hopefully fool a few more of you.

Gatos Petrobolo, put a 'The' in front of it and it sounds like a weapon....that or a nasty stomach upset dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Gatos Petrobolo, put a 'The' in front of it and it sounds like a weapon....that or a nasty stomach upset dizzy

applause

That would have been a great follow-up challenge:
    TRUE or FALSE: gastropetrobolos, an intestinal affliction rarely seen these days, caused mainly by being hit in the stomach by a catapult missile.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

applause

That would have been a great follow-up challenge:
    TRUE or FALSE: gastropetrobolos, an intestinal affliction rarely seen these days, caused mainly by being hit in the stomach by a catapult missile.

Or a dinosaur with chronic eating disorder.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012
    biggrin biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012
    TRUE OR FALSE

The dipsy doodle wasn't a new swing dance variation but instead a language by bands where everything was the opposite such as the moon went over the cow.
    listen to more classical music!