• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2008
    Martijn wrote
    I find many of your posts quite unbelievable... wink

Oooh, soooo ... I'm not a valuable contenter to this forum then?

I therefore withdraw from my membership.
    For today.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I can't even think of an unbelievable thing I exerienced, only perhaps the fact that being myself is quite unbelievable.

I find many of your posts quite unbelievable... wink

LOL biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I can't even think of an unbelievable thing I exerienced, only perhaps the fact that being myself is quite unbelievable.

I think 4 is the fake one as well.
    If not, I'll shoot you with a gun myself. biggrin wink

Damn! I might have to lie about which answer is true? I don't wanna get shot AGAIN when I meet Bregt! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2008 edited
    1 is fake I guess.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christoph wrote
    1 is fake I guess.

Hey, nice to see you join in on this thread Christoph smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Just to keep this alive until I can think of a decent question...

Here's five things to do with me.....

1) Someone once shot me with a gun

2) I once did a death defying leap over a cravasse

3) I saw a dog eating the body of a child

4) I once accidentally trod on the Dalai Lama's foot

5) A "friend" once spiked me with amphetimines

Only ONE of the above is NOT true....which one?

And a last bump.

I'll keep this up till tomorrow afternoon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2008
    D ? Thor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

I bet that's what you say to all the women. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

biggrin LOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

And a last bump.

Since you've been to Tibet and all, I believe the Lama comment. I'd go for number 3. Sounds too horrific.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Answers and explanations later this afternoon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2008 edited
    It's ALREADY later this afternoon! crazy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    It's ALREADY later this afternoon! crazy

okayokayokayokayalready rolleyes shame

A few minutes time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

1) True! I was 15 years old and someone shot me with a pellet gun wink ...made me fall off my bike though slant

2) True! The dodgiest situation I've ever been in, not much alternative but to jump. It was 16,000 ft up in Nepal....not easy jumping at that altitude. Anyway long(ish) story which I'll tell if anyone insists.

3) True! I wish I'd chosen something different in retrospect, this was a bit morbid and sensational but I couldn't change it once it had been seen here. A horrific thing to see but not necessarily un-common on the banks of the Ganges in Varanasi, India.

4) FALSE! Thor, the Dalai Lama hasn't set foot in Tibet since 1950.

5) True! This happened in my early 20's, believe it or not that person is still a friend though I did get medieval on him before I forgave him.

Well done everyone who said # 4 biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My GOD Timmer, my GOD!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'm guessing 3 is true, not something you make up really. I'd say 4 is false?

"
    good reasoning. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    My GOD Timmer, my GOD!

Cheers D, just don't tell Martijn wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    2) True! The dodgiest situation I've ever been in, not much alternative but to jump. It was 16,000 ft up in Nepal....not easy jumping at that altitude. Anyway long(ish) story which I'll tell if anyone insists.

I insist. smile
    Honestly, I'd be interested in what happened there!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I insist. smile

Will do Martijn, just need to check my old diary to get my facts straight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You have a diary?

Man, you're soo cool! punk cool beer
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I thought about keeping a diary for the longest time...but of course I never could bring myself to actually bring up the discipline to...well, actually keep it. slant
    And I never thought what happened was interesting enough.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I thought about keeping a diary for the longest time...but of course I never could bring myself to actually bring up the discipline to...well, actually keep it. slant
    And I never thought what happened was interesting enough.

Bang on! And exactly why my diaries have blank page after blank page in more recent years.

Now it's mostly full of practical stuff, appointments, friends birthdays etc.
  1. I used to keep a diary - I must have kept that going for about 12-13 years - but it wasn't particularly interesting: mostly fact-based rather than containing my innermost thoughts.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I insist. smile

September 7th 1996

Me and my good hiking buddy Richard had already been in Nepal for 3 weeks of a two Month stay and it was our 13th day of hiking to Mt Everest bass camp, we'd spent the previous week in a small town called Gokyo exploring various glaciers and lakes, acclimatising to the altitude and enjoying the evening hospitality of the Sherpa people.

We had purposely gone off route to explore the Gokyo region but now we wanted to get back on track and head for Everset bass camp which either meant a seven day trek around the Gokyo valley using the established and safe Sherpa trails or taking a "short cut" straight through a mountain range over the glacier and a high mountain pass which is used by Shepa's in the Summer Month's, which would shorten the journey to just three days. Great idea we thought? "let's do it!"

We spent Thursday the 6th of September going around the village looking for a guide to hire, this was not something to be taken lightly and we needed someone who knew the way, we eventually found a really nice gentleman named Chungba who had done this old trading route 4 times in his life, so after bargaining him down to a one day charge of £15* ( I don't remember the Nepali Rupee conversion? ) we were ready to go the following morning.

So there we are packed and ready to go at 6.00 A.M. on Friday 7th September and by torchlight we make our way for two hours down a track we'd previously walked up a week before, the sun begins to rise and it's a beautiful cold morning with bright blue skies and gigantic snow capped peaks and it's not long before our guide leads us off trail to begin the tough trek over the glacier and up over the 4,420 meter Chong-La pass and down to another hamlet called Dzongla where we'll once again be able to stride out without guides.

Walking over a glacier is an eerie thing, Strewn with huge boulders and rubble, gravel and even parts that look like miniature sandy beaches it's like trying to find your way out of a maze and because it's a continually moving and changing scenery our guide did have a few worrying moments where he wasn't sure of the way? Not much fun when you're slam bang in the middle of it and the only sound is the creepy groaning and creaking of ice., Anyway, after a couple of knee straining hours we finally navigated ourselves to safety on good solid unmoving earth.

From here it was just up, up and more up followed by even more up with false horizon after false horizon until we finally came to a steep hill that soon became apparent that we'd have been better equipped with things we didn't have such as crampons, rope and ice axes, we were already in a precarious possition where going back down isn't an option **, where ledges have small pockets of ice. We keep our composure and finally make it to the top of the Chong-La pass....a huge field of snow cradled between two peaks dangerously covered in thick snow, this is avalanch central***.

So, we start out over the snow field, I can't tell what the width is? maybe anything from 200 to 500 meters?? What's worrying is all the snow drifts that keep trinkling down the mountainsides but even more worrying is Chungba saying "not good, keep moving", and that's not easy when you are breathing only 50% oxygen and are hip deep in snow! We press on and after an hour there still seems to be no end in sight for this friggin snow field when we notice a big black line running the entire width...a crevasse.

Now, although this "crack" in the snow only seems to be a meter wide, the indication of the slope of the snow bending into it from either side suggests that it's a lot wider so we all stand there staring at each other in a windless silence that you can only get in the most remote of regions, all I can hear is that infernal trickling snow and my own rapid heart beat.

At best we have only an hour of daylight left so do we JUMP or turn back the way we came? There was no choice, the ice hill we came up is too steep and it would be dark by the time our shattered legs could carry us back through the snow to that point and also, by now we were getting very VERY cold. "you know this region so you know how wide the crack is, so you jump first" Rich says to our guide, our guide shakes his head in the negative, me and Rich look at this point a little alarmingly at each other. "you jump first and I'll follow" I say to Rich, Rich shakes his head in the negative, "you" Rich nods to me, "no fucking way" I say**** and with that I fling my rucksack with all my might over the crevasse and leap like I've never leaped before tumbling over a few times as I land. I stand up carefully and test the ground tentatively, my heart rate lessons and Rich follows with Chungba last wink smile

And thus ends one of the scariest moments of my life, it still played on our minds that that might not be the last crevasse but fortunately there were no more, two hours later we were safely in Dzongla drinking hot lemon tea feeling totally exhausted, I don't think before or since I've ever been that exhausted, mentaly or physically, with legs so tired they wouldn't stop shaking, I couldn't even sleep properly because my eyelids wouldn't stop fluttering such was the nervous energy.

A fantastic time a nothing on that trip was quite as adrenaline packed. Hope you enjoyed it.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    About 10 minutes later, you arrived at a cliff....hanger. biggrin wink
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    About 10 minutes later, you arrived at a cliff....hanger. biggrin wink

Come back in 20 minutes Bregt, my friends just left but now it's the phone.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Popular guy. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Popular guy. biggrin

Yeah, mostly fielding phone calls for Mel who's gone out rolleyes