• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2008
    INTRADA Announces:

WARGAMES
    Composed and Conducted by ARTHUR B. RUBINSTEIN

INTRADA Special Collection Volume 65

John Badham's 1983 film WarGames brought a somewhat lighter touch to the series of World War III genre of movies coming out then, yet made a simple and elegant point about the futility of nuclear war. In WarGames, David Lightman (Matthew Broderick), a flippant high school student who's failing his classes, is a natural expert at hacking into computer systems. Mistakenly believing he's stumbled upon a new computer game in development, he inadvertently contacts a mysterious US military computer system, where he engages the supercomputer in a war game that brings the world to the brink of a true World War III.

Arthur B. Rubinstein's WarGames score is thematically complex, showcasing the composer's skill for rapid-fire rhythmic material, idiosyncratic melodies, and sophisticated orchestration. The NORAD scenes and the specter of nuclear war get a mixture of militaristic effects from pounding, ominous percussion, but also feature an energetic main title march, as well as a haunting chordal motive for brass that calls to mind both Bernard Herrmann and Phillip Glass. Rubinstein juxtaposes the large, brassy military score with an uncanny, playful approach to the electronic scoring prevalent at the time for the early scenes as we witness Lightman's care-free budding hacker career, building motifs that eventually translate into the orchestral score. His mysterious, elegant theme for Joshua/WOPR computer forms the basis for most of the score's driving action music, particularly for the spectacular climatic moments. Rubinstein also wrote three tunes that were developed into songs for the score, one of which was turned into an instrumental version featuring solo harmonica beautifully plays out over the end title.

An LP issued at the time of the film featured 37 minutes of highlights from the score, heavily mixed with dialog. This release features the complete score, adding another 30 minutes of music, re-mixed from the original multi-track elements -- and completely dialog free!

This CD is limited to 2500 copies.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 65
    Retail Price: $19.99
    IN STOCK NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5797/.f

-----

Guys... this is film music GOLD!

Well done, Intrada. Going above and beyond...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Hmmm... mid-80s film music. Could be very good... could be very cheesy....
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hmmm... mid-80s film music. Could be very good... could be very cheesy....

Just listen to the samples... especially "Helicopter Pursuit & Launch Detected" and "Winner None." Awesome action/suspense music.

And just wait 'til you hear "A Game of Chess?" I have that track on a Rubinstein 2CD compilation and it's magnificent. It brings back memories of my initial viewing of the film. It's another childhood favourite.

Can't wait to hear the complete score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I purposely didn't buy this on LP because of knowing about the dialogue intrusion and I just didn't have the money to splash around as a teenager just to have a few great moments.

Having seen the film a couple of times ( once at the cinema on release ) I always remembered that excellent end titles theme with the harmonica which I'd say was worth the purchase alone.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hmmm... mid-80s film music. Could be very good... could be very cheesy....

Just listen to the samples... especially "Helicopter Pursuit & Launch Detected" and "Winner None." Awesome action/suspense music.

And just wait 'til you hear "A Game of Chess?" I have that track on a Rubinstein 2CD compilation and it's magnificent. It brings back memories of my initial viewing of the film. It's another childhood favourite.

Can't wait to hear the complete score.

-Erik-

You're bringing back more memories for me Erik, I'm definitely getting this. cool

p.s. Lovely and gentle film too, glad you find this a childhood favourite smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. Lovely and gentle film too, glad you find this a childhood favourite smile

It's up there with stuff like The Last Starfighter and The Goonies. It's stuff that I wish could have happened to me as a kid. Play a video game and get recruited by some alien race to save the universe in a space ship. Or me and my buddies having a Raiders of the Lost Ark like adventure. Or playing a computer game but some how the game is REAL triggering the next World War and it's up to me to stop this from happening, save the world and get the girl. Those films seemed to target me personally.

-Erik-
  2. Excellent score for an even more excellent movie. Thanks for pointing it out to us, Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008 edited
    The film is a childhood favourite of mine too. However, the score isn't really my cup of tea. Not something I would buy, anyway. I guess it's fine in itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Review of WarGames
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/wargames/

Will be followed Friday with a review of Rubinsteins Blue Thunder.
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote
    Review of WarGames
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/wargames/

Will be followed Friday with a review of Rubinsteins Blue Thunder.

yeay, another Rubinstein tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008
    Review of Blue Thunder, same year as WarGames
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/blue-thunder/
    Kazoo
  4. Bregt wrote
    Review of Blue Thunder, same year as WarGames
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/blue-thunder/

Ps Bregt, while I appreciate the gesture of putting the name of Joep under the review to make sure he gets the blame, it was me writing that godawful review and not him okay? Please bring the wrath of punishment to the person who wrote the bloody piece biggrin

Could you change it dear?
    Much abliged
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008
    Oops!
    Kazoo