• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008
    That's right, let's all get the hype wheel turning!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hehe.

*Keep your expectations low for maximum effect. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

wave spin
    ^
    spinning the hype wheel
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    I think my list of animations would go:

1. Chicken Run
    2. Horton
    3. Ice Age
    4. Robots
    5. Antz
    6. Shrek
    7. Happy Feet (sorry, but I really am not a fan!)

I suppose Powell is king of the animated scores, no!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008 edited
    Heh, ''Bedtime'' goes all Lalo Schifrin at the end. dizzy smile

And the hype wheel has a face?! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Anthony wrote

Yes, and it looks strangely similar to a certain enthusiastic individual of Spanish origin.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    1. Horton Hears a Who
    2. Happy Feet
    3. Chicken Run
    4. Robots
    5. Ice Age 2
    6. Shrek
    7. Antz
    8. Road to El Dorado

1-Happy feet
    2-Horton hears a who
    3-Ice age 2
    4-Chiken run
    5-Robots
    7-Antz
    8-Shrek
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

wave spin
    ^
    spinning the hype wheel

biggrin

Excellent.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Anthony wrote

Yes, and it looks strangely similar to a certain enthusiastic individual of Spanish origin.

Oh man that was funny!

biggrin

You can now listen to samples from all tracks over at www.johnpowellcomposer.com/discography_ … ercial.htm (you'll need to scroll down as bookmarks aren't working at the moment.)

Or, for you special forum folk, here's some super quality samples for you to sink your teeth into! www.johnpowellcomposer.com/hortonsamples.zip ...hopefully stopping the hype wheel a bit. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony you were soo right, lots of references in Horton Hears a Who!
    Another one:
    " Angry Mob": 0:34 - 1:00 ring a bell?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Another one:

LOL, the main title from The Bourne Identity. Man, I love Horton. Everything is in it! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Another one:

LOL, the main title from The Bourne Identity. Man, I love Horton. Everything is in it! biggrin

punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The fact that I missed all of this first time around. Easter eggs, whether intentional or not are great fun to find.

I still say the funniest in this is Magneto's theme for the Kangaroo. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Where is it!? tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    The fact that I missed all of this first time around. Easter eggs, whether intentional or not are great fun to find.

And here we go, another one:
    "Horton Suite": 0:45 - 1:11 (the string line....ring a bell? smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Another one:

punk

Would that be as funny if poor Horner had done it instead? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I said in my Jumper review that Powell needs to inject some fresh ideas or he will become boring. I think I might have to say the same in my Horton review. It's quite nice, but he's done it all before.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

You're gonna say it sounds like Paycheck aren't you?

It doesn't! crazy wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

You're gonna say it sounds like Paycheck aren't you?

It doesn't! crazy wave

Hehe....but it does! Yeah! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    I said in my Jumper review that Powell needs to inject some fresh ideas or he will become boring. I think I might have to say the same in my Horton review. It's quite nice, but he's done it all before.

Exactly. And i don't like how it's considered 'cool' for some people (*cough* *cough* Powell) while at the same time, the same thing's absolutely condemnable for some other, less fortunate people, see Horner for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Exactly. And i don't like how it's considered 'cool' for some people (*cough* *cough* Powell) while at the same time, the same thing's absolutely condemnable for some other, less fortunate people, see Horner for example.

There's a reason. Powell doesn't do it so blatantly and obviously as Horner, he doesn't reuse fully fleshed out themes like Horner does.

I don't mind that Horner reuses themes, in fact I enjoy it most of the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2008
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

There's a reason. Powell doesn't do it so blatantly and obviously as Horner, he doesn't reuse fully fleshed out themes like Horner does.

I would disagree with that. They all do it just as much as Horner. Everyone who has written any reasonable number of film scores does, and always has.

The thing with Horner that got him the reputation was just placing large swathes of classical music in his scores, but he doesn't particularly do that so much now.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    But doesn't Horner use the same danger motif over and over and over and over and over again?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yep! But it wasn't written by Prokofiev...right!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

I don't mind that Horner reuses themes, in fact I enjoy it most of the time.

I would also disagree with that. Powell - no matter how good and inventive a composer he can be frequently, is starting to get dangerously repetitive, imo. It's all good and fun for sure but if je really wants to keep the ball rolling and not end up just another of "those composers", then he should really start thinking of new stuff to do and inject his music with some freshness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fine, disagree all you like. But I still think there's a reason Horner is singled out for it, and that reason is he deliberately reuses past themes more frequently, more obviously, and more blatantly than any other composer. People don't single him out because of the man, they do it because of his music. No other composer (that I know of) scores films in quite the same way as Horner.*

*Again, not to say this is a negative thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    According to the IMDB the music was performed by the China National Symphony Orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thomas wrote
    According to the IMDB the music was performed by the China National Symphony Orchestra.

This was part of the announcement of Zimmer's being assigned to the project several months ago, so I'm pretty sure this is true.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!