• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2008
    is d-tox any good?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    is d-tox any good?

Hmmm.....no, actually.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    is d-tox any good?

rather average indeed, it has some nice calmer moments but overall way too long to be totally pleasant as a listening experience. This is a score that's nice when it has 30 minutes of score, not 70
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    is d-tox any good?

Think Face/Off but less interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    is d-tox any good?

Think Face/Off but less interesting.

There's less interesting than that? tongue

Thanks for the inputs everyone, appreciated! kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008
    Christodoulides wrote

Lol.

The only rewarding part of Face/Off for me was the last track.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Lol.

I can't remember if the score was good or not, I just hated the crappy film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Lol.

I can't remember if the score was good or not, I just hated the crappy film.

Face/Off or D-Tox? There's a huge difference in quality you know...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Face/Off is a better listen. While you could say D-tox is more "interesting", it's too all over the place to appreciate fully. I think the best thing to do is listen to both and decide for yourself. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008 edited
    lp wrote
    Face/Off or D-Tox? There's a huge difference in quality you know...

Agree. Face Off is faaaaaar better than D-Tox. Nice themes, big action cues, nice string writing (like the one that plays during Travolta´s facial transformation) and good dramatic stuff for Travolta´s and Allen´s sequences.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Just watched Horton Hears a Who! Such a great movie!

Especially appreciate the "We're here!" scenes. The talents Powell showed by masterfully handling the chorus together with all those weird instruments, and creating a great great melody just reminds me that we're actually living in a very good era of film music !

I hope Powell knocks some sense into Zimmer when doing Kong Fu Panda, and makes Zimmer realize that "the next Goldsmith" is just around the corner...
  2. Anthony wrote
    Face/Off is a better listen. While you could say D-tox is more "interesting", it's too all over the place to appreciate fully. I think the best thing to do is listen to both and decide for yourself. tongue

D-Tox is really unknown (it's not a surprise, the film is crap slant ), but I keep thinking it's a great score... cool

The best thing to do should be re-using the whole score for another movie... punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2008
    Considering most of the score goes unused in the film too... rolleyes

For anyone that's interested, I've just added a shizz load more 3d covers: http://www.johnpowellcomposer.com/disco … ercial.htm

(Antz, Endurance, Chicken Run, Rat Race, Paycheck, The Bourne Supremacy and X-Men)

Also, welcome Hybrid! wave beer
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2008 edited
    Soundclips from Stop-Loss are available:

http://www.musicload.de/album/3271130_2 … /item.html

Sounds like a pretty quiet and dramatic score written for strings and electric guitars. The clips didn't caught my attention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dramatic? Strings? Sold!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I haven't finished listening to the clips yet but I actually like most of what I hear. Very moody stuff.

cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2008 edited
    I hadn't actually heard this up until now. Some of the weirder guitar stuff will make for some good late night walking home from pub music, but the rest probably won't pop up on Winamp too often. Some cues sound like an extention to United 93 (I take it that's what you liked Demetris?). Still sounds better than Jumper though, and I'm still looking forward to that fat 7 minute cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008 edited
    I got my copies of Horton... and Stop Loss last week. As for Stop Loss I can really recommend it because it's something fresh from Powell. The theme is very strong, mostly performed by strings and snare drums. The electronic drums might remind you (Anthony) of United 93 but Stop Loss is a more thematic and stronger score on CD. There are also some kind of country, bluegrass influenced passages performed by electric guitars for the main characters small Texas hometown.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008
    Wow, exciting!

Thanks!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sweet, gotta get stop-loss then!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Dom wrote
    I got my copies of Horton... and Stop Loss last week.

Were these review copies or did you order them? If the latter, from where? shocked

Dom wrote
    The electronic drums might remind you (Anthony) of United 93.

Actually it was the wooden percussion. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Dom wrote
    I got my copies of Horton... and Stop Loss last week.

Were these review copies or did you order them? If the latter, from where? shocked

I believe it's the former case wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I thought that too. I have to wait a good two weeks before anything arrives. rolleyes

Is the possibility of 7 Powell scores being released in one year too much to hope for?

Jumper, Horton Hears A Who!, Stop Loss, P.S., I Love You, Hancock, Kung Fu Panda, Bolt... please! angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Anthony wrote
    Actually it was the wooden percussion. smile

My fault shame
    • CommentAuthorJochen
    Colosseum Records (Varese) in Germany ships 1-2 weeks before the official release date, so... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hehe. So THAT'S who they are! I was scanning some Varese covers yesterday and saw the URL for Colosseum on a lot of them. I went to the website and assumed they were just a distributor who paid Varese for the link advert. I planned to buy P.S., I Love You and Lost season 3 from Colosseum, but the price was a lot less if I bought from Varese in the US. But pre-release delivery is worth a bit more $$$ for these releases! cheesy

Is that early shipping just for Germany or still international?
    • CommentAuthorJochen
    Anthony wrote
    Is that early shipping just for Germany or still international?

Well I don't know but I am pretty sure they deliver when they have the CDs in stock, so I would say yes, the early shipping ist international too.
    Try it out! cheesy
    Colosseum do print the Varese CDs in Germany and distribute them here, but they buy the Club CDs from Varese and sell them in Germany. Quite funny. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I buy from Colosseum as well. I am anxiously waiting for LOST SEASON 3 to arrive!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008
    See, the problem is I can pay less if I buy it from Varese in the US, but it takes longer to arrive. More money for a slightly quicker delivery...is it worth it? sad slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    I buy from Colosseum as well. I am anxiously waiting for LOST SEASON 3 to arrive!

Do you think you could mention LOST SEASON 3 more times D, you really aren't mentioning it enough. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt