• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    Oh cripes! Thanks D !

"micket mousing" vomit

One of the things that really puts me off many animation scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Oh cripes! Thanks D !

"micket mousing" vomit

But it's Powell mickey mousing. That's good! biggrin

(And I promise none of these mice are giant or mechanical! wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's not good, Powell's 'mickey mousing' was excellent in (parts of) Ice Age 2 and the whole HAPPY FEET; here's it's just standard, nothing special or 'wow' about it at all.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote

Indeed. Powell´s mickey mousing is a thousand times better than any other composer mickey mousing. What is original, fresh and crazy in Powell, is standard, dull and used a hundred times before in any other composer.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How's that in HORTON? I am really interested to see someone telling me, explaining me why, in musical terms. What makes mickey mousing in HORTON so much special compared to the thousands of similar scores out there? (notice how i am talking about the mickey mousing parts of Horton, not the entire score).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Point out a cue where it's blatently obvious and I shall take a shot (although Marselus dug himself the hole!) wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Oh cripes! Thanks D !

"micket mousing" vomit

(And I promise none of these mice are giant or mechanical! wink )

But I LIKE giant mechanical mice! slant

I can only take a 'little' mickey mousing so I'm afraid D's description has put me off this one, I like Powell's work a lot but not enough to take a blind chance.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    the terribly standard "Hello" and "The Bridge Work" for instance
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Bridge Work rules. There's that catchy little brass motif.

Hello on the other hand....

...why am I doing this? It's Marselus' hole!

I agree actually, Powll's mickey mousing is just as standard as every other composers. We only ''prefer'' it because we are Powell fans! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

I can only take a 'little' mickey mousing so I'm afraid D's description has put me off this one, I like Powell's work a lot but not enough to take a blind chance.

Well, you can always hear some clips just to be sure mate but i really think that people are over-blowing things with this one just 'cause it's Powell whereas in reality, it sounds like a 100 other similar scores; i am NOT in ANY case saying people should not listen to it or don't like it for God's sake, but imo, maybe some ought to calm down a bit wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well, you can always hear some clips just to be sure mate but i really think that people are over-blowing things with this one just 'cause it's Powell whereas in reality, it sounds like a 100 other similar scores; i am NOT saying people should not listen to it or don't like it for God's sake, but imo, maybe some ought to calm down a bit wink

'calm down a bit', Ne'er a truer word said! smile

As with many of todays scores I'll wait until I see this on DVD and then decide, it's not like I need more film scores in my life, it's hard enough choosing what to play from the thousands I already have. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    The water thingies can also be heard from 4 minutes onward in "Horton Suite"

Also in "hello"

Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's not as special as it sounds mate wink

Really? Everyone seems to be on a 'Horton' buzz? So you're not that impressed with it?

HORTON HEARS A WHO

With the exception of 5 or 6 truly impressive tracks packed with a massive choir and bursting, grand themes a la Ice Age 2 and Happy Feet, the rest is constantly changing mickey-mousing, non-stop starting and stopping of totally different little motifs, tempi and rapidly different musical styles under no stable nor coherent enough themes or other fusing musical elements and the score's entire middle section is unnecessary loud irritating and noisy and - at several points - meaningless. I wonder how many people have the calmness necessary and are not over-excited to realize that.

Sorry, but that sounds so snobbish Demetris! And it's like you're saying that those who are enjoying this score don't really know what they're listening to, as though they're blind from being hyped on excitement.

I love it. It's classic Powell craziness. But it's not the second coming of Christ. (Which will never happen since there had to have been a first one! biggrin )

Note to Timmer (and anyone else who hasn't heard this score): This is a Powell score through-and-through. It's nothing particularly new, it's probably not Oscar worthy material... but it does put a smile on your face, and that's why I enjoy it so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why saying my opinion could be considered as snobberish? I don't tell you not to like it but neither of you comes with any logical arguments whatsoever on why this is actually any better than the dozens of other similar scores nobody bothers to deal with. Most importantly it's - imo- overblown and over-hyped in violent contrast to several other way worthier scores that get released each day out there but sadly nobody bothers to check out despite the reviews and numerous positive opinions; instead, everybody rush to celebrate Powell's mickey mousings instantly;

I adore his work generally and completely fell for HAPPY FEET, a truly wonderful score imo of the same genre but that won't stop me from filtering a bit what i hear; this here is way inferior in all aspects. I truly wonder how many people will still be listening to this 6 months from ow and if it's really worth it?

Timmer and everyone else has ears and if they're neutral, i sincerely believe that they won't find anything special about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why saying my opinion could be considered as snobberish?

Saying your opinion is not snobbish. The opinion itself and choice of language is.

I don't tell you not to like it but neither of you comes with any logical arguments whatsoever on why this is actually any better than the dozens of other similar scores nobody bothers to deal with.

I haven't said that it is better than any other particular scores, and I don't think anyone else has. People, me included, are just enjoying it. A lot. Just because you use fancy musical vocabulary to pick it apart, does not mean you are right and we are wrong. It's not a case of right or wrong, it's a case of whether you enjoy it or not - and you clearly don't, which goes without saying is fine.

Most importantly it's - imo- overblown and over-hyped in violent contrast to several other way worthier scores that get released each day out there but sadly nobody bothers to check out despite the reviews and numerous positive opinions; instead, everybody rush to celebrate Powell's mickey mousings instantly; makes me wonder, is it really worth it? Timmer and everyone else has ears and if they're neutral, i sincerely believe that they won't find anything special about it.

Or you could lighten up about the whole thing? It's just a score after all. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Anthony like this score. That's the only opinion that matters. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't use fancy vocabulary, it's just descriptions of what it is wink Oh and is it just a score? Why, you don't say!?! shocked wink biggrin tongue kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well after a few listens, trust me the themes are very coherent. I haven't even seen the film, but I can imagine this score fits the film like a glove.

And yes, just a score. Thought I'd remind you since I was beginning to wonder if you were talking about something else the way you go on about it! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well however you view it, I've put up the 3d covers for Horton and Stop Loss now - http://www.johnpowellcomposer.com/disco … ercial.htm

And I thinks I've spotted a misprint - ''Horton Tell Of The Kangaroo's Duplicity''? I don't think so! wink

Oh, and Ice Age 3 anyone?

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=84090

Not confirmed...but I wouldn't hold your breath...it'll probably happen... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    With the exception of 5 or 6 truly impressive tracks packed with a massive choir and bursting, grand themes a la Ice Age 2 and Happy Feet, the rest is constantly changing mickey-mousing, non-stop starting and stopping of totally different little motifs, tempi and rapidly different musical styles under no stable nor coherent enough themes or other fusing musical elements and the score's entire middle section is unnecessary loud irritating and noisy and - at several points - meaningless. I wonder how many people have the calmness necessary and are not over-excited to realize that.

Wow, a couple of hours missing and a full page to read!
    As Southall says in his review, and I quote, Horton "isn't really about themes - it's all about the style, the infectious spirit, the joie de vivre - and it has plenty of that". I totally agree with this.
    Even if there are themes (ok, not the most memorable themes of the year, but nobody is saying they are), it´s more the feeling of the score what makes Horton a score above the rest of comedy / animated film scores.
    As for the mickey-mousing a la Powell, well, it´s just a matter of taste that I love it. I mean, he is the only one crazy enough to use all those bizarre instruments and make them sound good and as if they were part of a traditional orchestra!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    The water thingies can also be heard from 4 minutes onward in "Horton Suite"

Also in "hello"

Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's not as special as it sounds mate wink

Really? Everyone seems to be on a 'Horton' buzz? So you're not that impressed with it?

HORTON HEARS A WHO

The same guy who rated Live Free or Die Hard with 4 stars. biggrin

The same guy who doesn't feel sleep with Alexander Desplat biggrin

Can you listen The Wild by Silvestri and then listen Horton? Please...tell me the diference please...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, you fall asleep with Alexandre Desplat, right? 'Nough said wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2008
    Southall, where's your review? I want to read it! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote

It's been there for 12 hours!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    How do you write so fast!?
    So much!?

You're like Powell.
    Or Debney!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote

It's been there for 12 hours!

Waaaaaaaaaah? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    So much!?

You're like Powell.
    Or Debney!

Ouch! Quantity over quality, is always my desire.
  1. I just listened to Stop-Loss...

I like how depressing it is, like United 93... angry biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote
    So much!?

You're like Powell.
    Or Debney!

Haha, I didn't meant it that way. smile

I like your reviews!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Where is the freakin' review already!? cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote
    Bregt wrote
    So much!?

You're like Powell.
    Or Debney!

Haha, I didn't meant it that way. smile

I like your reviews!

Well if you didn't want it to come across that way, you shouldn't have used Debney nor Powell as an example biggrin