• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    Maybe the name of this thread should change...I keep thinking I'll see news about Powell and am instead presented with...fruit....
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Orange!!

Well that didn't rhyme!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Bourne Pineapple?

Nah!

I'll get me coat slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I think Happy Feet is my favorite Powell score. It has a strong emotional level to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Panthera wrote
    I think Happy Feet is my favorite Powell score. It has a strong emotional level to it.

That and UNITED 93 are mine, as far as Powell is concerned. Top works.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Oh how I still long for a PS I Love You release. Well, I've contacted "someone" in the industry about it, so we'll see if they know anything... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Panthera wrote

United 93 is a fantastic score. I loved how it pretty much remained in the background during the film until the fabulous climax when it helped create one of the most poignant action scenes (possibly one of the only) in recent memory.

smile
  1. Scoring the Peter Berg film, "Hancock".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    biggrin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Scoring the Peter Berg film, "Hancock".

Indeed, sounds like another interesting one! smile

Edit: Check out the trailer - this looks WEIRD! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    Haha, great choice! I'm really looking forward to this now.

punk
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008 edited
    LSH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Panthera wrote

United 93 is a fantastic score. I loved how it pretty much remained in the background during the film until the fabulous climax when it helped create one of the most poignant action scenes (possibly one of the only) in recent memory.

smile

I love United 93 for its amazing ending. If you listen to it and think about the music in the context it was meant for it can be spine chilling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. The ending was what shocked me the most too, when i watched the movie. But the entire effort is heavily emotional and dramatic in a very unique way. I don't think anyone of the current team of younger composers could have scored the movie any better.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think what stood out for me was the impact it left despite the fact it was minimalist throughout.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008 edited
    I like the way it builds up. I wouldn't appreciate it as much if I skipped to the end because, in a way, the end relies on the rest of the album's momentum that slowly builds up to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    justin boggan wrote

Awesome. I just hope that they didn't temp the movie with any Danny Elfman music.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lp wrote
    justin boggan wrote

Awesome. I just hope that they didn't temp the movie with any Danny Elfman music.

I'm trying to work out what kind of score this will get...all I can come up with is a cross between X-Men and an average Debney score. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ??, please no! That description of yours is totally disappointing Anthony my friend! Stay away from X-MEN III / generic Debney-isms for God's sake!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    ??, please no! That description of yours is totally disappointing Anthony my friend! Stay away from X-MEN III / generic Debney-isms for God's sake!

lol, well take a look at the trailer, what would you give it?

It's Powell, so I'm thinking either that, OR, something I can't possibly imagine!

It'll probably lean toward the latter. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah! Same here, it's POWELL and i want to be surprised!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And I want a release!

He's been getting a lot of potentially strange projects recently...

Man, I can't wait for Jumper! crazy
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    Maybe it will be similar to Agent Cody Banks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah! Same here, it's POWELL and i want to be surprised!

I've learnt over the years to be careful of surprises because it's not always what you want and can be so disappointing due to expectation.

I prefer the surprises where you don't expect anything special from a composer due to the nature of a project and you get something really left of field.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Yeah, I was really disappointed with X3 because the only thing that worked was the thematic materials. Hopefully, John had more time and chances to be himself and not be bogged down by the temp.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's not necessarily disappointment I've felt, but there's something that hasn't been quite ''normal'' with all of Powell's scores since Mr. & Mrs. Smith. His music hasn't been bad by any means, but there's something familiar that just seems like it's missing. Now I really come to think of it, I think it's a distinct lack of the action music similar to Supremacy/Paycheck that I'm missing. Ice Age, X-Men and Ultimatum had vastly diffent action music than what we've heard before, and sadly I didn't enjoy it as much. Let's hope Jumper and Hancock can return to the older style of scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Maybe it's his shifting to a different (more mature?) sound, with more orchestra and less electronics? It seems he's lost his unique touch a bit...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think his best action cues are Escape To Paradise, The Mall Chase, Escape From The Dragon, Escape From Embassy (there's a trend with escape cues!), Hero, Hog Chase 1 & 2, Moscow Wind Up, Bim Bam Smash, Escape, Desert Foxes and Minivan Chase.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    It's not necessarily disappointment I've felt, but there's something that hasn't been quite ''normal'' with all of Powell's scores since Mr. & Mrs. Smith. His music hasn't been bad by any means, but there's something familiar that just seems like it's missing. Now I really come to think of it, I think it's a distinct lack of the action music similar to Supremacy/Paycheck that I'm missing. Ice Age, X-Men and Ultimatum had vastly diffent action music than what we've heard before, and sadly I didn't enjoy it as much. Let's hope Jumper and Hancock can return to the older style of scoring.

I've been very happy with Powell's style so far. I feel that he's been maturing so rapidly with each score he writes that it can be jarring if you jump into his collection midstream. For example, Face/Off : Paycheck and Bourne Identity : Ultimatum and Shrek : Robots : Ice Age 2. It's just that, with X3, I was thrown for a loop with all the Elfmanisms. X3 was less of a John Powell & orchestra and more of a John Powell & Orchestra + Adhering to Temp Track & Danny Elfman. Quite an unbecoming score and I hope for less to none of it for the score to Hancock.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I thought X-Men ok, but it failed to deliver what I really wanted from a Powell score, as explained in my above post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I love X3. Powell going fully orchestral is what I was waiting for since I listen his music. And all the score is full of Powellisms; ok, not the same style which he has developed with the scores mentioned (Bournes, Paycheck, Mr&Ms Smith, etc) but wouldn´t it be boring if he repeats himself again and again? I see X3 as an improvement / development / evolution of his music. Not that I dislike his "Bourne" style (god no, I think the Bourne trilogy is a masterpiece) but once in a while I like a change of this kind in a composer I admire (even more if he delivers a theme like the amazing "Phoenix Rises").
    Let´s see what he has done with "Jumper", I really wait for another orchestral blast.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you