• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2008
    ...or HAPPY FEET which is a melodic, thematic feast, a truly excellent score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    ...or HAPPY FEET which is a melodic, thematic feast, a truly excellent score.

Honestly, I must listen to that one again, after Robots, I found Ice Age 2, Happy Feet and Horton carry the same problem, that it all carried lesser cohesion. Yet I must say that I was wrong putting Happy Feet in that same category
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you watched the movie mate? The score gains a lot more meaning after having witnessed how brilliantly Powell interweaves his perfect musical idea and spirit with the ongoing visuals and the touching story. For me, HAPPY FEET is one of the most genius modern animated film scores. The use of music in every scene and the orchestration / arrangements is phenomenal.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Have you watched the movie mate? The score gains a lot more meaning after having witnessed how brilliantly Powell interweaves his perfect musical idea and spirit with the ongoing visuals and the touching story. For me, HAPPY FEET is one of the most genius modern animated film scores. The use of music in every scene and the orchestration / arrangements is phenomenal.

Nope, I haven't watched the movie yet. And more so than most, scores do mean a lot more after you watched it. Perhaps for Horton too

we'll see I guess smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Happy feet movie and score are great masterpiece!

No more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, HAPPY FEET is a very strong experience, both musically but also the movie itself. Deeply recommended.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Indeed, HAPPY FEET is a very strong experience, both musically but also the movie itself. Deeply recommended.

okay okay, I'm convinced wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Perhaps for Horton too

we'll see I guess smile

I doubt that mate, Horton's full of generic mickey-mousing; nothing like HAPPY FEET in nature.
  4. Nautilus wrote
    Happy feet movie and score are great masterpiece!

No more.

Even Powell's work on the songs is amazing... smile
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    Horton, albeit similar to Powell's other animation efforts, was pretty darn good. That Horton Suite was lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't think they are any significant themes in Horton. Just a sparse motif here, and another sparser there.

Just listen to Mountain Chase (main theme) (or Enter the Kangaroo (0:28-0:55) and Horton Suite (begin-0:55)) and tell me there are no themes confused You might call the latter two 'sparse motives', but the first certainly is a great theme!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't think they are any significant themes in Horton. Just a sparse motif here, and another sparser there.

Usually on a first listen to a Powell score you can't identify many themes at all. They usually show up after a few listens, but in this case you're right. Nothing really gets expanded on here, and everything is more of a motif than a theme. Horton does have themes (Horton, Kangaroo, The Mayor, Whoville, the monkeys), but they just get repeated again and again. I like them, but development would have been nice. smile
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Christodoulides wrote
    Have you watched the movie mate? The score gaings a lot more meanin after having witnessed how brilliantly Powell interweaves his perfect musical idea and spirit with the ongoing visuals and the touching story. For me, HAPPY FEET is one of the most genius modern animated film scores. The use of music in every scene and the orchestration / arrangements is phenomenal.

What he said. The music is some of Powell's best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Just listen to Mountain Chase (main theme) (or Enter the Kangaroo (0:28-0:55) and Horton Suite (begin-0:55)) and tell me there are no themes confused You might call the latter two 'sparse motives', but the first certainly is a great theme!

They're merely motifs, simple little melodies here and there, nothing like the usual thematic and melodic development we see in Powell's writing.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

They're merely motifs, simple little melodies here and there, nothing like the usual thematic and melodic development we see in Powell's writing.

I must admit they feel like motifs to me too, they don't jump out like themes do, they are more like tunes in a scene and not in the film
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yup. I saw the movie the same day I got the score and it was a long time before I managed to work out what each little motif was for. Strong themes should make this easy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    It doesn't really bother me at all as it didn't detract from my enjoyment of either the film or score at all. I consider both Robots and Happy Feet to be stronger Powell efforts but I still think Horton is a blast.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2008
    I think our big discussion about Powell needing to re-invent himself has finally hit me. As much as I love his current style, he needs to do something totally new. It's getting stale.

Michael Giacchino now sits upon the top of my favourite composer list. I've been questioning myself for a while now - ''Powell has done this, this and this...but Giacchino has done this, this, this, this and this...and it's a whole lot more fresh and interesting''.

I've finally come to the conclusion that I must stop pretending Powell is still my favourite, as in all honesty, he is now second! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Giacchino's the man mate wink Don't struggle with yourself over it, just let it go naturally wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Don't struggle with yourself over it, just let it go naturally wink

Never say that again. biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2008 edited
    biggrin biggrin

It's not my fault you have poo in your head.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    I think our big discussion about Powell needing to re-invent himself has finally hit me. As much as I love his current style, he needs to do something totally new. It's getting stale.

Michael Giacchino now sits upon the top of my favourite composer list. I've been questioning myself for a while now - ''Powell has done this, this and this...but Giacchino has done this, this, this, this and this...and it's a whole lot more fresh and interesting''.

Wait till you discover Goldsmith and the wider world of Williams and so on - you're in for a treat!
  6. Anthony wrote

I've finally come to the conclusion that I must stop pretending Powell is still my favourite, as in all honesty, he is now second! shocked

LOL it's the way it is for you ?

You must have a "favorite" composer ?

Personally, I think the best composer is the one I'm listening at the moment... Sometimes it's Zimmer, sometimes it's NGS (yes !), sometimes it's Powell etc... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote

Wait till you discover Goldsmith and the wider world of Williams and so on - you're in for a treat!

MY two favourite composers. They always will be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008 edited
    I think i am starting to review my opinion on Christian Clemmensen.....

HORTON HEARS A WHO - REVIEW

"The inconsistency in style, tempo, and theme is exactly the defining characteristic of Horton Hears a Who!, and while Powell does have elements that do make connections throughout the score, its rapid-fire movement cause them to be a stream-of-consciousness kind of experience that builds a mood over time rather than impressing you with singular moments"

"Overall, this score is adequate, but completely absent of any single defining moment or, like Powell's career, a distinctly memorable characteristic. Given that Powell is starting to operate like Hans Zimmer, with several assistant writers and an army of orchestrators and arrangers, perhaps this fragmented personality should come as no surprise. If you go back and compare a score like Horton Hears a Who! to Antz, you definitely hear the difference."

" Avoid it... if you value consistency in your listening experiences and expect any of the moods in this score to last longer than a single minute."

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/horton_hears.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008

If you go back and compare a score like Horton Hears a Who! to Antz, you definitely hear the difference.

I agree with this. One is a slick, professional but pretty soulless production-line score... the other might not reach the heights the composer is capable of, but at least shows him to have some independent thought. I assume that's what was meant?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    I think i am starting to review my opinion on Christian Clemmensen.....

[b]HORTON HEARS A WHO - REVIEW
    http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/horton_hears.html

Wow, Clemmensen is getting better. He only mentions Zimmer once in the review. Good for him.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony

Given that Powell is starting to operate like Hans Zimmer, with several assistant writers and an army of orchestrators and arrangers, perhaps this fragmented personality should come as no surprise. If you go back and compare a score like Horton Hears a Who! to Antz, you definitely hear the difference."

Clearly this guy is a smart arse.

Antz
    ====

Orchestrated by: March Dicterow-Vaj, Elizabeth Finch, Bruce Fowler, Steven Fowler, Walt Fowler, Ladd McIntosh, Yvonne S. Moriarty and Jack Smalley

Additional Music: Gavin Greenaway, Steve Jablonsky and Geoff Zanelli

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote

Given that Powell is starting to operate like Hans Zimmer, with several assistant writers and an army of orchestrators and arrangers, perhaps this fragmented personality should come as no surprise. If you go back and compare a score like Horton Hears a Who! to Antz, you definitely hear the difference."

Clearly this guy is a smart arse.

Antz
    ====

Orchestrated by: March Dicterow-Vaj, Elizabeth Finch, Bruce Fowler, Steven Fowler, Walt Fowler, Ladd McIntosh, Yvonne S. Moriarty and Jack Smalley

Additional Music: Gavin Greenaway, Steve Jablonsky and Geoff Zanelli

rolleyes

biggrin
    No need to add a thing.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Does anyone have P.S., I Love You yet? You'd have thought Colosseum would have shipped everything by now... dizzy

I continue to wait patientiy... cool