• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Hayden Christensen just stated they are looking for a Jumper sequel now. shocked

Well it´s impossible to make it worst than the first one.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Hayden Christensen just stated they are looking for a Jumper sequel now. shocked

What was so bad about the first one? IMO, what was there is surprising better than all the negative reviews it was given. It just needed a better beginning, as well as a proper climax.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Never seen it.

Is it that bad?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Am I the one who's not looking forward to Powell's score for Hancock? If it's nothing like X3 and a lot like Jumper and the Bourne films, then count me out.

I´d say it´s gonna be a mixture between X3 (not so big though) and Jumper.

If it's like that, then i'm off.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Never seen it.

Is it that bad?

Yes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Never seen it.

Is it that bad?

Yes.

Not even for a laugh and a bowl of popcorn? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Never seen it.

Is it that bad?

Yes.

Not even for a laugh and a bowl of popcorn? wink

Nop, it's so stupid it leads to anger in no time wink

As for the SCORES, don't blame Powell mates. Actually, there's nothing to blame; Powell's cool and he always delivers, cool and very serviceable music. Moreover, the fact that he delivers stuff that is way above the average standard of today for CRAP like Jumper, Kung Fu Panda and average flicks like Horton and Stop Loss, is admirable to say the least. It really surprises me that Powell - a damn fine professional - is always able to maintain a respectable business standard no matter the damn low levels of some projects he gets assigned to, always managing to deliver more than what others would do in his position. I am not saying they're masterpieces or anything nor am i driven crazy over them like other people do, but they're certainly far from being bad; they are actually pretty good the vast majority of times.

See JNH for example; SHYAMALAN hires him, he delivers pure gold; another poor fella director hires him for his usual crap or - at best - average flick and he gets bored, relies to synth drone instead and gets away with it via minimums.

Powell will always do the best he can with what he gets; you have to that into account as well, not only judge based merely on the music on album alone. He - most of the times - delivered his best scores to date for movies that had something to say, you can't expect him to come up with another emotionally packed ride like UNITED 93 for stuff like Kung Fu Panda or crap like Jumper. The stuff he DOES manage to come up with for the said movies, is already way more than what they actually deserved.

Powell goes another step further, and that's where he truly surprises me; how the f*dge he's able to compose in such passion and refinery for SO DAMN stupid flicks like P.S. I LOVE YOU or GIGLI is beyond human logic. And man i tell you, i can't even begin describing how satisfied and pleasantly surprised i am every time i open another silly romantic flick with a stupid cover just to put it in and spin the next gorgeously heartfelt and touching little tiny gem by Powell each and every time, i can't understand how he does that. Top stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kung Fu Panda is meant to be quite a fun film, have you seen it Demetris? You're so quick to condemn films! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've seen several 2-5 minute clips mate, it doesn't interest me at all. And to think i am a fan of animated movies but from RATATOUILLE onward (included) and with all the stuff like BEE SEASON and such, i detect a significant drop in quality. How not surprising.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I've seen several 2-5 minute clips mate, it doesn't interest me at all. And to think i am a fan of animated movies but from RATATOUILLE onward (included) and with all the stuff like BEE SEASON and such, i detect a significant drop in quality. How not surprising.

Ratatouille INCLUDED!? Are you mad? That's one of the best animated films I've ever seen!

Kung Fu Panda is about comedy and having fun, it's not meant to be a masterpiece of cinema. You're no fun! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I had to re-read that: You think Ratatouille is a significant drop in quality? I'm shocked. Genuinely shocked. I'd be interested to know why you think that is?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm gonna see KFP myself maybe a few weeks later when it arrives in theatres here, and would like to see how the music works out on screen. Expecting a treat like in case of Ratatouille!! biggrin

Oh yeah a minor note... they're releasing English films late, and for a short while, out here in my city because they're apparently not doing as well as the local Hindi ones. Eg: I read a statement in the newspaper a month ago by a dude who went to the theatre to watch 27 Dresses and was told that he was the ONLY guy who had turned up to watch the film in the entire city!!! slant So it had been cancelled. Apparently Prince Caspian is the only movie which did well here so they're airing it again and again. Dunno what to say tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Expecting a treat like in case of Ratatouille!! biggrin

It's Dreamworks, it won't be on the level of Ratatouille. I'm sure it'll be very entertaining though. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

It's Dreamworks, it won't be on the level of Ratatouille. I'm sure it'll be very entertaining though. smile

Would be satisfactory for me biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Would be satisfactory for me biggrin

At least, and judging for the 60 minutes score release, they haven´t filled the film with dozens of irritating songs. That´s a relief.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Don't tar everything with the same brush. Dreamworks animations are giving the whole industry a bad name. Pixar's still doing golden stuff like Ratatouille (included)! smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    Hmm, I'm trying to find out if the China National Symphony Orchestra actually performed on Kung Fu Panda. I think specific players might have contributed, but other than that it was recorded at Air Lyndhurst Studios in London, and we all know what that means...

Isobel Griffiths and her non-specific orchestra contracting!! Gaah! dizzy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    Colosseum has shipped Hancock today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let us know how it is smile
  1. Yeah Rudi, don't forget us ! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I want a interview about Kung Fu panda composition Process!!!

And I want Hanckock! Im sure it is not too far from me... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    Well I didn't bother ordering Hancock or anything that's coming out in the next couple of weeks in hope of finding it out over here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Well I didn't bother ordering Hancock or anything that's coming out in the next couple of weeks in hope of finding it out over here.

You didn´t bother because it´s Powell, and you don´t like Powell lately! angry tongue wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

You didn´t bother because it´s Powell, and you don´t like Powell lately! angry tongue wink

Well after seeing Horton again on the plane, I've come to the conclusion that it falls within the top 5 of Powell scores. Sure, it might not have the most memorable themes or much development, but in the movie it works wonders. Add it to the list with Supremacy, Paycheck, Cody Banks and Chicken Run (United 93 is now number 6).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Well after seeing Horton again on the plane, I've come to the conclusion that it falls within the top 5 of Powell scores. Sure, it might not have the most memorable themes or much development, but in the movie it works wonders. Add it to the list with Supremacy, Paycheck, Cody Banks and Chicken Run (United 93 is now number 6).

punk

Good, you finally see how great Horton is! I really do love that score, it makes me smile -> smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2008
    "Hollywood Blvd" from Hancock Rocks! beer

It has this powell rythms that has made this guy the most talented composer of this decade!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    We'll see whether it'll rock as much as Bruce Babcock's version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote

Nah. And I haven't even heard of Bruce Babcock!

Gimme Horton any day as far as 2008 Powell scores go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    Nope. It doesn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

Nah. And I haven't even heard of Bruce Babcock!

Gimme Horton any day as far as 2008 Powell scores go.

In case you didn't know, Bruce Babcock wrote a cue for Lethal Weapon called Hollywood Blvd Chase. He was the orchestrator on the score and was asked to do it since Michael Kamen didn't have time to do it.

The score for Horton was amazing in the movie, and lackluster and unfocused on album.